Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a 870

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    anyone got a list of things to check on the 870? I originally planed on sending it to Vang comp but I have my first kid on the way so that $ is needed else where.
    Not sure this question got addressed. Here is my list.

1) If the bead or front sight is mounted on a base, insure base is located at 12:00. Seen more than one that was way off.
    2) Check to see if barrel ring is attached to barrel. Had one recent 870 Express barrel on which the barrel ring was not soldered/brazed. Not sure how it got out of Ilion.
    3) Insure action bars are not binding and action is not sticking. It will not be smooth out of the box if new, but it should not bind.
    4) If used, insure that gun has the Flexitab upgrade. Field strip the gun, so that you can verify the bolt and bolt carrier have the Flexitab changes. There are guns with the correct shell lifter but the older bolt and bolt carrier.
    5) If used, check to see if the serial number ends in "V" or "M". The former has the ejector pinned for 2-3/4" and shorter shells. The latter has the ejector pinned for 3" and shorter shells. Do NOT use the barrel to do this as 870 barrels are interchangeable, other than Special Field models and some of the new 870 Tactical models. Lots of three-inch barrels on the older receivers. The ejector can be installed in the three-inch position, but that is a trip to Ilion or to a good smith.
    6) Insure gun is not one of the 870 Special Field models or one of the new 870 Tactical models due to the lack of barrel interchangeability.
    7) If used, insure there is no J-lock on the safety unless you plan on replacing the entire safety. No one wants a shotgun with a self-actuating safety that requires a tool to deactivate.
    8) If used, look for dimples in the magazine tube. If an Express, the newer ones have a different magazine cap retention system. I much prefer the older Wingmaster models so as to not deal with the dimples and the different cap retention.
    9) Check for loose (not staked) shell latches when the gun is field stripped. If not staked, do not buy as gun needs to go to a smith. Gun will function with latches not staked, but the chances of a feed jam increase.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-25-2016 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added info on shell latches

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I am reviving this thread because I just won a beater 18" Police Magnum. Has bead sight. Purpose: home defense gun that I might bring into the woods now and then, and a companion to my much nicer 20" LE surplus Wingmaster.

Current short term plan:

1. Magazine: Scattergun Technologies/WC +2 tube w/spring, follower. just about the only thing I'll buy immediately.
    2. Ammo: Some Federal 00 Buck. Slugs: any tips? I think I have some Winchester Rangers.
    3. Stock: Weighing buying a Hogue youth vs. Magpul stock vs. Magpul stock/fore-end set. Currently leaning towards the hogue or the Magpul stock alone. Opinions?
    4. Light/mount: Have a Nordic Components railed clamp on my 20" Wingmaster. I will take it off the wingmaster and use it to mount one of my TLR-1s. May buy a TLR-1 HL later. Not sure if I want to try another mounting option at this time...
    5. Sights: thinking about the XS tritium bead sight. Any thoughts? Not interested in going with a rail or optic on this gun at this time.
    6. Reloads: I actually have a Mesa 4-round sidesaddle I will mount and play with just to see how I like it.
    7. Finish: any reason to worry this thing might rust? I have no sense of the quality of the finish on this gun or even what era it's from. Depending on what it looks like when I get it, I might end up either refinishing it professionally, rattlecan-ing it, or just leaving it alone. As long as it doesnt rust like crazy I am leaning towards the latter two options.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-17-2017 at 12:19 PM.

I'm about to order the Magpul stock. I like that it's adjustable and the sling mounts to the side of the stock instead of bottom. During the HiTS Shotgun class last year I had my sling mounted to the bottom (factory) mount and the gun flopped all over the place when slung. Very awkward. I hope the side mount makes it much more stable.

ETA Which Nordic rail did you use? Reviews on Brownell's indicate that the NORDIC MAGAZINE EXTENSION SUPPORT CLAMP (with rail) isn't compatible with the factory mag extension.
    Last edited by David S.; 07-17-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am reviving this thread because I just won a beater 18" Police Magnum. Has bead sight. Purpose: home defense gun that I might bring into the woods now and then, and a companion to my much nicer 20" LE surplus Wingmaster.

Current short term plan:

1. Magazine: Scattergun Technologies/WC +2 tube w/spring, follower. just about the only thing I'll buy immediately.
    2. Ammo: Some Federal 00 Buck. Slugs: any tips? I think I have some Winchester Rangers.
    3. Stock: Weighing buying a Hogue youth vs. Magpul stock vs. Magpul stock/fore-end set. Currently leaning towards the hogue or the Magpul stock alone. Opinions?
    4. Light/mount: Have a Nordic Components railed clamp on my 20" Wingmaster. I will take it off the wingmaster and use it to mount one of my TLR-1s. May buy a TLR-1 HL later. Not sure if I want to try another mounting option at this time...
    5. Sights: thinking about the XS tritium bead sight. Any thoughts? Not interested in going with a rail or optic on this gun at this time.
    6. Reloads: I actually have a Mesa 4-round sidesaddle I will mount and play with just to see how I like it.
    7. Finish: any reason to worry this thing might rust? I have no sense of the quality of the finish on this gun or even what era it's from. Depending on what it looks like when I get it, I might end up either refinishing it professionally, rattlecan-ing it, or just leaving it alone. As long as it doesnt rust like crazy I am leaning towards the latter two options.
    Get the Magpul stock and fore end plus a rail so you can put the light on the fore end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Get the Magpul stock and fore end plus a rail so you can put the light on the fore end.
    After reading through this thread I am not sure if that's the answer for me - concerned about getting my fingers jammed up during recoil.

Site Supporter
    After reading through this thread I am not sure if that's the answer for me - concerned about getting my fingers jammed up during recoil.
    That's how mine is set up and it hasn't been an issue. My light is about 1" in front of the thumb on my left hand when I grasp the fore end. I recently took it to the range and ran roughly 50 rounds of combined buck and slug through it, not once did my thumb touch anything.

Chris

I've tried to talk myself into the Magpul stock and still haven't succeeded. I guess I'm going to have to find someone nearby who has one to try out and see if it makes me all giddy.

So far the only changes from stock are a +2 extension tube, Surefire forend and Blackhawk swift sling. Maybe one of these days. I am slightly put off by the thought of adding more weight to the setup.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've tried to talk myself into the Magpul stock and still haven't succeeded. I guess I'm going to have to find someone nearby who has one to try out and see if it makes me all giddy.

So far the only changes from stock are a +2 extension tube, Surefire forend and Blackhawk swift sling. Maybe one of these days. I am slightly put off by the thought of adding more weight to the setup.
    Blues wish you were local or I was traveling near your AO, as I'd gladly let you run one of my VCS 870's, both of which have MP stocks.

As much as I think Han's 870 upgrades are the cat's ass, IMO the addition of the MP stocks ranks right up there w/ his mods. but YMMV applies here as always.

That said, I'm really looking forward to Adam releasing his adapter later this Fall (?) so I can add an MP stock to my 1301T & call it good. Hate it though as it may not be available in time for my next SG tuneup w/ DB & Wayne but 1st world problems & what not as always.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 07-17-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Blues wish you were local or I was traveling near your AO, as I'd gladly let you run one of my VCS 870's, both of which have MP stocks.

As much as I think Han's 870 upgrades are the cat's ass, IMO the addition of the MP stocks ranks right up there w/ his mods. but YMMV applies here as always.

That said, I'm really looking forward to Adam releasing his adapter later this Fall (?) so I can add an MP stock to my 1301T & call it good. Hate it though as it may not be available in time for my next SG tuneup w/ DB & Wayne but 1st world problems & what not as always.
    That's how strongly you feel about the magpul stock? Why, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post

Thank you, brother. If you ever do find yourself up in this area, consider yourself welcome. We're certified Texas friendly. We've had our friends from San Marcos, (knife maker Jerry Halfrich and his wife), visit for a few days in the past.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List