Page 10 of 235 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    On your recommendation, I'm going to try WH.
    Looking forward to your impression.
    #RESIST

I have "Devil Of A Whipping" by Lawrence E. Babits coming in on interlibrary loan.
    It's about the Battle Of Cowpens in the Revolutionary War.
    I saw a recommendation on another site and decided it looked like a book I should read.

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    I have "Devil Of A Whipping" by Lawrence E. Babits coming in on interlibrary loan.
    It's about the Battle Of Cowpens in the Revolutionary War.
    I saw a recommendation on another site and decided it looked like a book I should read.
    Excellent book. One of the first ones I read on a Kindle. Some of the maps were a little hard to read, but very enjoyable regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Amazing writing, eh? I buy copies of Wolf Hall for my friends.
    http://news.yahoo.com/hilary-mantel-...090716402.html

Lions of Kandahar

http://www.amazon.com/Lions-Kandahar...ns+of+kandahar

Saw the author interviewed on the Military Channel's an Officer and a Movie and he was interesting so I checked it out on Amazon. Went with the unabridged CD Audio Book and just finished listening to it on the drives to and from work. Some of it didn't make sense to me but the combat narratives were riveting and the reader did a good job of switching back and forth between various southern dialects and various ethnic accents.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 12-27-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Just finished SSG Salvatore Giunta's "Living with Honor". If the name rings a bell, he was the first living Medal of Honor recipient since the Vietnam War.

It's a very good book, and was interesting to read after SSgt Dakota Meyer's book "Into the Fire". There are certain parallels, and some differences. Giunta's book spends more time discussing his entire time in the military, and Meyer's book spends a larger portion discussing the action that resulted in his decoration. Meyer also makes a plea that the Army decorate an Army Captain that fought along side him. It's compelling, and I agree with his reasons wholeheartedly.

Both men are very humble, and quick to give praise to their fellow Soldiers and Marines. And both are heavily involved in efforts to assist veterans and their children.

It's a good read, I'd pick up both books. Meyer's book had more emotional impact on me, to be honest. Probably because I was a Misguided Child, long ago. Giunta's book reinforced the respect I had for a dedicated Soldier, and fellow grunt.

Just started into "Shattered Sword" about the Battle of Midway. Serious research went into this on Japanese doctrine, culture, strategy and some of the the human failings that afflicted their commanders. It sort of tells both sides of the story. I have read a bunch of WW2 history, but this book is kind of unique.

Just finished Outlaw Platoon by Sean Parnell, a lieutenant with the 10th Mountain Division, about his deployment to a FOB in Afghanistan in 2006. Includes a lot of his thoughts on being a leader, accounts of some really serious fights they were in, and heartbreaking stories about the toll the war has taken on the locals. Good read and was available on Kindle for less than $5 IIRC.

A State of Disobedience: Tom Kratman: Amazon.com: Kindle Store. Starts out with President "Rodham" coming for Texans' guns...
    Kratman's a retired Army ossifer. Despite that, I 've enjoyed everything he has written.
    Other authors who members here would enjoy: Larry Correia, Michael Z. Williamson, John Ringo.
    I figure some or all have made appearances in the previous posts, but this thread has gotten tl;dr for a n00b...

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Just finished Outlaw Platoon by Sean Parnell, a lieutenant with the 10th Mountain Division, about his deployment to a FOB in Afghanistan in 2006. Includes a lot of his thoughts on being a leader, accounts of some really serious fights they were in, and heartbreaking stories about the toll the war has taken on the locals. Good read and was available on Kindle for less than $5 IIRC.
    really enjoyed that book.

Target Deck by Jack Murphy. http://www.amazon.com/Target-Deck-De...ds=target+deck Is a follow on book to Reflexive Fire http://www.amazon.com/Reflexive-Fire...7598442&sr=1-2 These books are basically about a PMC that kicks some serious ass. Target Deck was great in that its plot is centered around Fast and Furious and governmental corruption.

Mike

User Tag List