Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Consensus on Glock extended basepads?

Consensus on Glock extended basepads?

So theres now been several years of extended basepads for Glocks.

Taran, Dawson, Hyve, Springer, etc.

My questions is, are they good to go for serious use? Or simply for range use? And if so, which base pad is best?

Right now I've heard conflicting reports:

On one side, lots of guys, including a number of serious volume competitive shooters, are running extended basepads and praising them.

On the other, I have hear 2 main complaints:

1: Basepads breaking open when dropped onto a hard surface:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....us-disassembly

2: Aftermarket springs wearing out after 6-12 months, preventing the gun from locking back:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post867799

In regards to #2, I wonder if trimming a Glock OEM 33rd mag spring to 12 coils would solve that issue for the +5/6 basepads. Or alternatively, just stick with the smaller +3/4 basepads and use the Glock factory 11 coil spring used in the factory 19rd g19x mags.

Anyway, is there a consensus on these extended basepads?

Site Supporter
    I've had good luck with the Glock factory +2 baseplates and have one on my EDC reload. I picked up a couple of factory 24rnd 9mm mags too, but the length is more than I care for in a belt carried reload, but one rides in my truck console. The 24 and 33rnd mags make good PCC mags/reloads but I find the 33 unwieldy in a handgun. I dont have any experience with the Taran or other baseplates.

I have used Taylor Freelance +5s for years. Used them OCONUS where they got used heavily and never had a problem.

That said, now days I would (and do) just by factory 24 round mags if I want an extended mag for non USPSA purposes.

I find the 33 round mags impractical for carry, the 24 round mags are doable for me in certain circumstances.

shown here next to a 15 round mag.

I agree with LostRiver

I did some searching on this awhile ago. It seemed that the Glock oem+2 were the most reliable but still occasionally would fail when dropped.

In the age of OEM 24 rounders, I don’t see the need for anything else when looking at extended magazines.

I carry with Arredondo's. The OEM +2's work well but do depend on the spring you use. For example, 17 round mags with a +2 may work for a little while with the regular spring but should really be used with a +10% aka extra coil spring.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    So theres now been several years of extended basepads for Glocks.

Taran, Dawson, Hyve, Springer, etc.

My questions is, are they good to go for serious use? Or simply for range use? And if so, which base pad is best?

Right now I've heard conflicting reports:

On one side, lots of guys, including a number of serious volume competitive shooters, are running extended basepads and praising them.

On the other, I have hear 2 main complaints:

1: Basepads breaking open when dropped onto a hard surface:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....us-disassembly

2: Aftermarket springs wearing out after 6-12 months, preventing the gun from locking back:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post867799

In regards to #2, I wonder if trimming a Glock OEM 33rd mag spring to 12 coils would solve that issue for the +5/6 basepads. Or alternatively, just stick with the smaller +3/4 basepads and use the Glock factory 11 coil spring used in the factory 19rd g19x mags.

Anyway, is there a consensus on these extended basepads?

Once again, please define the purpose. Is this for high speed or high stakes?

It seems that no one in their right mind carries a modified Glock. It seems that an extra magazine is a better solution than +2 for carry.

Games....the only way to know is to go do it.....it's not much money for a base pad. Or see what the competitors are using in the game you choose.
    Last edited by Navin Johnson; 01-08-2021 at 10:46 AM.

I carry a Glock +2 on my G26...and a spare +2 in my pouch. I've carried higher capacity, but don't ordinarily feel the need. If I did, I'd carry a 15 round from my G19...but I prefer the flush fit.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    With factory options at higher capacity and the Magpul GL21 I really don't see the need for base plates. I know they look cool, come color coordinated, and are used by quite a few folks, but for real or pretend I would just rather just keep it simple.

The Glock base pad design, which is a bugger to get off, is a feature and a bug. A bug when you want to disassemble the magazine and a feature to keep the magazine from disassembling when you don’t want it to.

I had a Taran base plate on a M&P magazine come loose as I made ready last weekend at a match. 140mm extensions are near mandatory for Carry Optics, but I use OEM base plates for carry.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Banned
    I use the factory extended baseplate on my Glock 26 magazines. I've never had a problem with them shooting or carrying that gun in my pocket for a year at work. I use a standard Glock 19 magazine as a reload.

User Tag List