Page 61 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the P30

I moved some things around and took advantage of HK's reduced pricing on the P30s to score a backup P30 for training and dry fire. It's been said here before, but to re-iterate, I think there's a legitimate safety benefit that comes from the ability to leave your carry gun alone -- fewer loading/unloading manipulations = fewer opportunities for carelessness to interject itself.

I now have:
    - P30 v4.1 LEM
    - P30 v1 LEM
    - P30SK v1 LEM with v4.1 LEM TRS

Of the three configurations, I strongly prefer the v4.1 LEM followed by the v1+v4.1 TRS combo.

My problem with the v1 LEM is the lack of resistance in the pre-travel phase of the press. Oddly enough, that lack of resistance encourages seems to encourage me to steer the gun off target during that half inch or so of pre-travel. The addition of a v4.1 TRS mostly solves that issue without giving me the detriments of a v2 break weight -- overall it feels like a TGS LEM with less weight in both break and pretravel. The v4.1 configuration, however, gives me even more take-up weight and a slightly heavier break. The wall is a bit more defined. I think the true benefit though, at least for me, is less of an opportunity to screw up the trigger press during the pre-travel phase. It's still a long stroke -- my one SFA pistol feels like a SAO by comparison -- and I believe it retains the safety values which drew me back to LEM for carry. Another benefit is more consistent finger placement due to the shorter reach. I find it much easier to be consistent, and also much easier to avoid frame contact with my trigger finger.

So, I think I'll be converting all of my guns to the 4.1 LEM. The question for me is whether I should do it myself...

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I moved some things around and took advantage of HK's reduced pricing on the P30s to score a backup P30 for training and dry fire. It's been said here before, but to re-iterate, I think there's a legitimate safety benefit that comes from the ability to leave your carry gun alone -- fewer loading/unloading manipulations = fewer opportunities for carelessness to interject itself.

I now have:
    - P30 v4.1 LEM
    - P30 v1 LEM
    - P30SK v1 LEM with v4.1 LEM TRS

Of the three configurations, I strongly prefer the v4.1 LEM followed by the v1+v4.1 TRS combo.

My problem with the v1 LEM is the lack of resistance in the pre-travel phase of the press. Oddly enough, that lack of resistance encourages seems to encourage me to steer the gun off target during that half inch or so of pre-travel. The addition of a v4.1 TRS mostly solves that issue without giving me the detriments of a v2 break weight -- overall it feels like a TGS LEM with less weight in both break and pretravel. The v4.1 configuration, however, gives me even more take-up weight and a slightly heavier break. The wall is a bit more defined. I think the true benefit though, at least for me, is less of an opportunity to screw up the trigger press during the pre-travel phase. It's still a long stroke -- my one SFA pistol feels like a SAO by comparison -- and I believe it retains the safety values which drew me back to LEM for carry. Another benefit is more consistent finger placement due to the shorter reach. I find it much easier to be consistent, and also much easier to avoid frame contact with my trigger finger.

So, I think I'll be converting all of my guns to the 4.1 LEM. The question for me is whether I should do it myself...

I saw a good video where the guy showed the characteristics of the LEM, and coming from a Sig 226, what stood out on the LEM was how that 'long' span of travel was simply very light spring tension, that you can easily move with just the tip of the finger, as opposed to even my Grayguns tuned 226 (P-PAK), where that long span is very SMOOTH, but has some weight to it (9#).
    I was reading another thread here the other day about DA triggers, and I think it was Dagga Boy who said that it was the 'length' of the travel, more so than the weight, that he viewed as the safety net, that people favor the TDA for.

You said "The v4.1 configuration, however, gives me even more take-up weight and a slightly heavier break. The wall is a bit more defined."

This is interesting, and something I'll be eager to look into, depending on how the trigger feels to me when we get our gun in. Also, why is the distance to the trigger "shorter" with this V 4.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    I saw a good video where the guy showed the characteristics of the LEM, and coming from a Sig 226, what stood out on the LEM was how that 'long' span of travel was simply very light spring tension, that you can easily move with just the tip of the finger, as opposed to even my Grayguns tuned 226 (P-PAK), where that long span is very SMOOTH, but has some weight to it (9#).
    I was reading another thread here the other day about DA triggers, and I think it was Dagga Boy who said that it was the 'length' of the travel, more so than the weight, that he viewed as the safety net, that people favor the TDA for.

You said "The v4.1 configuration, however, gives me even more take-up weight and a slightly heavier break. The wall is a bit more defined."

This is interesting, and something I'll be eager to look into, depending on how the trigger feels to me when we get our gun in. Also, why is the distance to the trigger "shorter" with this V 4.1?
    HK shortened the pre-travel on the v4.1 kit, IIRC by playing with the notch depth on the cocking piece. At rest, the face of the trigger is further back. Easiest to show with a picture:

v4.1 top, v1 bottom. Note the position of the tip of the trigger and also the hammer (both pistols are cocked).

I wish I could find a P30 LEM to try out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. House, if you haven’t accomplished that by March, you can try my P30SK at TacCon, I think I saw your name on the list.

ssb, yes, I see the difference, interesting. Thanks for posting that.
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 09-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    Dr. House, if you haven’t accomplished that by March, you can try my P30SK at TacCon, I think I saw your name on the list.

ssb, yes, I see the difference, interesting. Thanks for posting that.
    Thank you! I’ll be presenting there.

I may be able to help you out with that, Sherman. Work's probably gonna take me out your way in the next month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I may be able to help you out with that, Sherman. Work's probably gonna take me out your way in the next month or two.
    Yes! Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I wish I could find a P30 LEM to try out!

Well if you come back to GA any time soon and I’m not on-call for work, you can shoot mine. Would’ve been at your recent classes in Oconee but was on-call.

ETA: I see you’re actually teaching another class in Oconee on Oct 7. I know I won’t be on-call that weekend so I’ll try to make it up there. Should be able to!
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 09-12-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

This is a great thread.

I'm working on transitioning out of striker fired guns and moving to DA/SA or LEM platforms. Mainly I just want to try something new and I like the idea of the added safety of the DA trigger. I'm mainly looking at HK pistols with LEM triggers right now. I was mostly looking at the P2000 since it is roughly the same size as a G19 but I find the P30 intriguing with the adaptability of the grip and the great reputation of the extraction system. I'm going to fire off several questions, hopefully this is the correct place to post them. I also did not read every post in this thread so if the answers lie within, let me know.

In regards to the P2000, does it boast the same flawless extraction performance as the P30?

The P30 is a little larger than a G19, generally speaking, how does the P30 conceal as compared to a P2000? How about P30sk and P2000sk? I'm 6'0", 175lb and have an athletic build.

Since the P2000 is discontinued, is it not wise to go all in on this model?

I'm really thinking that, for my needs, an SK is the way to go. Is wither the P30sk or P2000sk superior to the other in any way?

Thanks for bearing with me.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List