Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,000 Lumen X300U

This is sort of one of those things where I just need to say “good luck, hope it works for you”. I must say that basing a home defense strategy on late night peeing is an interesting approach. I feel gifted...I don’t even need the light for that or to find the fridge. For dealing with potential human predators or a non hostile person in my home, I ll go with as much light as I can get.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Seeing scoring rings on a target is most definitely NOT the same thing as identifying whom might be in any given location with what they may or may not be holding in their hands.
    In what context?

An LEO trying to make a shoot/no-shoot decision? A civilian traversing a dark parking lot in fear of an approaching figure who they feel might be a threat?

Or an awoken-in-the-middle-of-the-night forced-entry scenario: holding the line at the top of a staircase in dark home, when all family members are accounted for and out of the line of fire, with an unknown contact making their way up the steps, in a state with a castle doctrine?

In the latter case, if I can discern the embossed score zones on a cardboard IDPA target with my night adapted vision, I can certainly discern the facial detail of the unknown contact 10 to 15 feet away coming up the steps to make a PID. Using the lower amount of light will mitigate the impact on my night vision and leave me the option of maneuvering/repositioning with the light off.

In the former case, if I'm leaving a normally illuminated store or restaurant with my light adapted vision, making my way through that seemingly very dark parking lot, I'll manage the unknown contact accordingly while hitting 'em with all the lumens I can muster.

As with most other things in life, one-size-fits-all solutions usually come with considerable limitations.

Since this thread I have tried a few different scenarios in my home. I live in the country and have lil lighting besides the moon. So even a full the bedroom is pretty dark. I tried to be in bed for as long as possible with no light and eyes closed. Not the same as from a dead sleep but close enough for me.

When I popped up and hit the x300u with the doors closed in my room. My vision was slightly altered. Not enough to effect anything on my end. Then I tried the tlr1 @300 lumens. It was barely better.

Then I tried to be on the other end of the light.
    (Light is not on pistol)
    I came in to the dark room and had the wife blast me with both lights. Made sure to adjust my vision down to dark between each trial. The SF at 600 really fucked me up. The tlr1 at 300 was nowhere near the same. I wish I had 1000 lumen light to try this. But I would bet it be that much worse on the receiving end. Long story short..Ill take my minor setback on the pistol side vs the motha fucker Im lighting up for breaking in my house. More lumens=betta

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Since this thread I have tried a few different scenarios in my home. I live in the country and have lil lighting besides the moon. So even a full the bedroom is pretty dark. I tried to be in bed for as long as possible with no light and eyes closed. Not the same as from a dead sleep but close enough for me.

When I popped up and hit the x300u with the doors closed in my room. My vision was slightly altered. Not enough to effect anything on my end. Then I tried the tlr1 @300 lumens. It was barely better.

Then I tried to be on the other end of the light.
    (Light is not on pistol)
    I came in to the dark room and had the wife blast me with both lights. Made sure to adjust my vision down to dark between each trial. The SF at 600 really fucked me up. The tlr1 at 300 was nowhere near the same. I wish I had 1000 lumen light to try this. But I would bet it be that much worse on the receiving end. Long story short..Ill take my minor setback on the pistol side vs the motha fucker Im lighting up for breaking in my house. More lumens=betta

Good stuff! You never know until you try, right?

BTW, it's not the lumens that count in this case - it's the lux. I believe the reflector-based TLR has a wider, less focused beam than the more tightly focused TIR lens-based X300. My Malkoff Wildcat is rated at 1100 lumens but because it's essentially a flood light, only about 6000 lux. My Malkoff M61T is about 400 lumens but due to the focused TIR lens, produces over 12,000 lux. The M61HOT is about 600 lumens and 20,000 lux.

The advantage inside of a higher lux-to-lumens ratio is more of the light hits the target and less hits the walls and ceiling, resulting in less back splash. No doubt beam pattern plays a role in all of this as well.

Since we're bringing up LUX/candela now, I will add that I prefer a weaponlight to have as much candela as possible. The max vision beam Surefires are a dumb idea for a weapon light. I don't want my weaponlight to look like turning on a light bulb in a room, I need it to be focused tightly on a high spot. I have used the brightness of an X300U and TLR-1HL to control subjects on multiple occasions and have seen the disorienting effects a light with that brightness and candela will have on someone. These lights can be painful to look at even in broad daylight from 5-10 yards away. Even in indoor settings, bouncing a high candela light off the ceiling or floor gives you plenty of ambient light to search a most rooms, so it makes little sense to choose a floody weaponlight over a high candela weaponlight. I'm a little disappointed this 1000 lumen X300U didn't maintain the Scout light head that the 600 lumen X300U's did with 16,500 candela. This new one reportedly has 11,300, which is going to be "floodier" than the 600 lumen models.
    Last edited by Gio; 08-09-2018 at 03:41 PM.

BTW, in most cases - as long as lux is measured at one meter - lux and candela can be used interchangeably. Every lux rating I have seen for flashlights has been stated as one meter.

https://www.compuphase.com/electroni...dela_lumen.htm

One steradian on a sphere with a diameter of one metre gives a surface of one m2 (see the section on candela). From this, it follows that at a measuring distance of 1 metre, the values for candela (lumen per steradian) and lux (lumen per m2) are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I'm a little disappointed this 1000 lumen X300U didn't maintain the Scout light head that the 600 lumen X300U's did with 16,500 candela. This new one reportedly has 11,300, which is going to be "floodier" than the 600 lumen models.
    Yup. Just more lumens hitting the walls and ceiling coming back at you, with less focused on the target. This is a trend with all of the newer higher-lumen SF lights.

BTW, the Malkoff E2 Super Throw/Scout M600 E2 head is rated at 650 lumens and 20,000 lux. It's got substantially more reach (and potentially less splash back inside) than the 1000-lumen X300.

Here's a 900-lumen/29,000 lux Malkoff Hound Dog on my carbine. Even on low at 30 lumens, the focused beam is still blinding;

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    This is sort of one of those things where I just need to say “good luck, hope it works for you”. I must say that basing a home defense strategy on late night peeing is an interesting approach. I feel gifted...I don’t even need the light for that or to find the fridge. For dealing with potential human predators or a non hostile person in my home, I ll go with as much light as I can get.
    So much sweet, simple, hairy wisdom right here.

1,000 Lumen X300U

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Good stuff! You never know until you try, right?

BTW, it's not the lumens that count in this case - it's the lux. I believe the reflector-based TLR has a wider, less focused beam than the more tightly focused TIR lens-based X300. My Malkoff Wildcat is rated at 1100 lumens but because it's essentially a flood light, only about 6000 lux. My Malkoff M61T is about 400 lumens but due to the focused TIR lens, produces over 12,000 lux. The M61HOT is about 600 lumens and 20,000 lux.

The advantage inside of a higher lux-to-lumens ratio is more of the light hits the target and less hits the walls and ceiling, resulting in less back splash. No doubt beam pattern plays a role in all of this as well.
    Damnit, you got me trying to find the lux rating of the tlr. I see what you are saying. But I feel they are pretty similar besides the lumens.

I tried a couple other lights that range from 350-500 tonight. Similar beam patterns. Do not know lux sorry. But the more was indeed always better. I do not own any lights with a wider flood pattern. They are useless to me where I live. I need lights that throw.

I have very blue eyes and they suck in the daylight. But x300u does not bother me that badly. The id of targets is unreal coming from a dark room. Esp if I try to look down my stairwell or hallway. The light just hunts. I am looking forward to the 1000 lumen big brother now. Up until I actually tried this in different scenarios I assumed it would be too much. Being on the receiving vs giving end was eye opening....
    Last edited by Trukinjp13; 08-09-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

In the latter case, if I can discern the embossed score zones on a cardboard IDPA target with my night adapted vision, I can certainly discern the facial detail of the unknown contact 10 to 15 feet away coming up the steps to make a PID. Using the lower amount of light will mitigate the impact on my night vision and leave me the option of maneuvering/repositioning with the light off.
    Have you actually tested that?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List