Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Handgun buying strategy?

My strategy for handguns? Currently I'm working on acquiring my second G19Gen4. Then a second M&P Shield. Then a third G19Gen4. After that, probably a 1911, and then a P226.

The point is, 3 of the primary carry, 2 of the sub-compact backups. The rest is gravy.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I think maybe Surf here came closest to espousing this approach the last time the conversation came up with comments about majority practice being on carry platform, but cultivating the ability to run anything.
    Wrap it up folks. This thread's over!

My handgun buying strategy is that every time the bastards try to tighten gun laws, I buy new guns. So every five years or so. Well, that's how it feels like anyway...

I do most of my shooting with a single gun. But sometimes it's nice to do something different - this both keeps things interesting, and also gives you a different perspective into shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    I should have mentioned that I'm a lefty. When I bought my G23 decades ago I didn't consider that the mag button setup for RH was going to be that big of a deal- it is!
    As a fellow lefty, may I ask what the big deal with the magazine release is? I don't think I've ever even held a Glock 23, but usually a button release on the left side of the gun works just fine for me. (A paddle is superior, especially for support hand only work, but a button is okay.)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"Decisions...decisions..."
    There are some really neat little gun shops near where they grow all those tulips. Was just there earlier this week.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have less of a "gun-buying strategy" and more of a "compulsive shopping addiction." I am going to attempt to not purchase a single handgun (or any gun, actually) in 2017, after buying 5 in 2016 and 6 in 2015. I will make a sole exception by buying a nice hunting rifle for my dad's birthday, as he has wanted one for several years now after giving up his 1970s Remington 700 30-06 to my brother a few years back. Leaning toward Tikka/SAKO.

As far as my long-term strategy goes, I did decide my USP40c and P229R will mark the end of my .40 S&W purchasing, even with the tempting HK deals. I carry 9 exclusively and find that with an ample stockpile of Gold Dot 124 +P on hand I really don't have a reason not to use 9mm for all applications.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 12-31-2016 at 10:29 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

My serious pistols have been SIGs and Glocks for a long time. I have play guns, but they don't get near the time my carry guns do. That's really true now as I see to have less time in general so I haven't done much playing lately.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There are some really neat little gun shops near where they grow all those tulips. Was just there earlier this week.
    LaConner, WA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This topic seems to come up an awful lot.

The thing missing usually is context. Yes, you can shoot any gun well if you know how to shoot. If you're a really good shooter, the difference between them is not very meaningful. The issue is, what is really good, and what is meaningful?

A poor shooter will also likely not see much difference, so do they think they are really good? IDK.

If you want to shoot basic standards to a high level, (think IDPA/USPSA targets, big game hunting, etc)) almost any gun will do that. If you want to shoot up to your absolute potential, then sticking with not only one platform, but one actual gun, is the only way to go. If you want to push to very small targets, very far targets, even very fast targets under more stressful conditions (outer limits type stuff), then one gun is the way to go.

Others may disagree and that is fine, as they likely picture something different in their head than I do. I will say that I have literally never met a single shooter, in the flesh, who could shoot numerous different guns to the level I'm thinking. It requires an intimate familiarity with just one gun. Happily, that is also the fastest way to get good enough to switch and still see relatively high level performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    This topic seems to come up an awful lot.
    Maybe because some people are just looking for validation for spending more time shopping than shooting? I know that comes over kinda harsh, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, if I had disposable cash I would own more guns.

But when the question does come up I scratch my bald head and wonder - if you're dry firing and live firing on a frequent basis, if you have a plan and are keeping a record of your progress, why don't you already know the answer?

Banned
    My challenge is a lack of discretionary income. My goal is to maximize the money I do have to spend on training and equipment and my strategy is my overall plan for meeting that goal.

When I first started buying guns I bounced around a lot and bought a lot of different types of handguns in a lot of different calibers.

After a while I realized that it cost a lot of money to stock different calibers of ammunition and different types of magazines and accessories and I decided that I needed to downsize my "collection" and concentrate on commonality. So I sold off almost all my handguns to finance the switch.

I decided to limit myself to one platform so that I didn't have to waste training time getting up to speed of various platforms and to reduce the amount of accessories I had to by for each gun.

I decided to limit myself to one caliber because it's easier and cheaper to buy in bulk. I decided to go with 9mm because my wife can't shoot .40 and I can't carry a .45 at work.

I ended up going with S&W M&Ps (A 9 & 9C) because they can both use a FS magazine and I already had a FS but if I was doing it all over I would have probably bought a Glock 19 and spent the price of one of the M&Ps on magazines and ammunition.

User Tag List