Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Latest and Greatest in non-LE Civilian Armor?

What is the opinion on SKD armor? I see some of it listed as not certified but tested to...

I often use code spec non code equipment at work so I understand what they are doing with the lack of certification for cost savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    What is the opinion on SKD armor? I see some of it listed as not certified but tested to...

I often use code spec non code equipment at work so I understand what they are doing with the lack of certification for cost savings.
    A lack of NIJ certification is not necessarily a bad thing; there are many special threat plates that are tested to specific threats, but not submitted for NIJ testing. I would trust the SKD plates to perform as advertised.

Agreed. I would trust anything put out by SKD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post

The “specs” for body armor are not necessarily real-world relevant, with today’s ammunition threats. The best of the best body armor manufacturers are working to counter the newest threats.

I did the “homework” on this, when I was armor-shopping, several years ago, so do not remember the details, but they can be found, in these P-F forums, if one looks for them. I remember SKD being one of the best sources for plates.

Ultimately, my usual threats were thugs’ AK weapons, mostly 7.62x39, and, the .223 55-grain JSP ammo in my colleagues’ patrol carbines*, so I did not actually acquire the newest/bestest, a.k.a. Level “III+,” to use in the final year or so, of my policin’ career. (I actually wore Level III plates, with IIIa Kevlar back panels, full-time, during most of my final year on patrol.)

Some folks will have a higher realistic chance of facing the newest 5.56 penetrators, or other specific threats, so, should plan and shop accordingly.

*Snatched LE weapons, and “friendly” fire, are very real threats for LEOs.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As noted previously, the Tencate 6400/AT Armor Stop-BZ/Velocity PBZ is a nice plate with all the advantages and disadvantages of a plate containing ceramics.

If in the market for new armor, I'd take a close look at AMI's products, as they are a reputable vendor who sells to vetted civilians: https://www.armoredmobility.com
    From their website. It looks like if you are in a no-issue Ccw county, you can’t buy them... “Please note that our tactical plates are only available to authorized Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) permit holders, Law Enforcement, Government Entities, and the Military.”

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    There's some stuff that's restricted by the manufacturer/reseller, like the VS ShadoWorks stuff. The real issue I guess is that the number of easily purchasable plates is smaller than the number of good plates. For example, the TenCate Cratus 8075SA seems pretty legit on paper as low viz plates, but where can I actually find them for sale as an individual set?

ShadoWorks is tightly restricted and even if it was available for regular people would be cost prohibitive for the average person. But it is the most state of the art armor on the planet.

Kind of on topic: Does anyone know of the Air Force is issuing M855A1? There’s a large air base in my area so it’s a consideration.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    *Snatched LE weapons, and “friendly” fire, are very real threats for LEOs.
    Even as a civ my #1 criteria for body armor is it has to be rated for all the guns I am bringing to the fight.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Kind of on topic: Does anyone know of the Air Force is issuing M855A1? There’s a large air base in my area so it’s a consideration.
    This I can't answer but I live close to an Army Base. I have already seen M855A1 for sale on armslist and other places locally. No doubt stolen shit some dumb ass is selling to the general public. If you live near a post of any kind I would absolutely want armor rated for M855A1.

On another note, does anyone on here have experience with Crye Precision's LVS Patrol Cut base vest, if so what plates would you look at for it? I've been looking at the LVS because it is scalable and cannot find specs for the vest in terms of material composition or what plates will work best other than, "less than .70" thickness recommended."

Looking for something low profile but can bump to more overt full scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    This I can't answer but I live close to an Army Base. I have already seen M855A1 for sale on armslist and other places locally. No doubt stolen shit some dumb ass is selling to the general public. If you live near a post of any kind I would absolutely want armor rated for M855A1.

On another note, does anyone on here have experience with Crye Precision's LVS Patrol Cut base vest, if so what plates would you look at for it? I've been looking at the LVS because it is scalable and cannot find specs for the vest in terms of material composition or what plates will work best other than, "less than .70" thickness recommended."

Looking for something low profile but can bump to more overt full scale.
    Mike,

I have the LVS patrol cut. The recommendation for plates is based off the plate carrier being a tight fit. I didn't use their plates/plate carrier with it, though, so I can't recommend anything.

From what I understand, it's basically a compressed PE soft vest, sandwiched with heat and force. What size are you? If you want to "try before you buy", I'll send you mine and you can just keep it/pay me if you like it. I've decided to stick with my agency issued VS ShadoWorks stuff.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List