Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on what Trump should do for the 2A

Site Supporter

Thoughts on what Trump should do for the 2A

I'm waiting for Trump's legislative agenda to enhance and expand the instantiation of the 2nd Amend. as compared to saying he will 'defend' the 2nd Amend. The only action that he initiated was a ban.

His friendly Congress in the first two years did not try to pass gun rights enhancements with the vigor of tax cuts and attacking Obama care. Even faced with a filibuster, the bills could have been brought up repeatedly or have some of the milder ones attached to necessary measures. Recall the HPA vanished. Cornyn's reciprocity (granted that is controversial) was proclaimed! He sent me messages about it. Where did it go?

Yes, the Democrats will take the guns away. When will the wonder twins in SCOTUS get that august body of its butt to take a case that truly and unambiguously voids the state bans? Years go by and scrumptious scrutiny of modern spurting rifles goes nowhere.

Let's see the enhancement agenda in the next state of the union that proposes more than 'defending'.

As a guy from Connecticut I read through this thread and it's all quite familiar. We went through this shit and lost. Post Sandy Hook then Dem. Gov. Malloy and the democrat super majority in the State House rammed registration for AWs and LCMs (Large Capacity Magazines) down our throats. No more state defined AWs or LCMs allowed to be transferred. There are a few hidden got yah's that no one initially anticipated. For example lets just say you get Red Flagged for any reason. Your AWs are gone for good. Per the law they must be transferred out of your name when confiscated. There is no possible way under the new law to transfer them back to you when you clear up the matter.

Gun owners turned out for protests at the state capitol. However even though the crowd looked large it should have been 50 times larger. There was an organized day where the capitol was flooded with gun owners lobbying there respective representatives. I remember the day well. It was in the single digits and many including me had to wait hours in line to get through the metal detector to gain access to the building. Guess what happened. Once the crowd was finally inside someone ran a fire drill. Yup everyone forced out into the cold only to wait in long lines again.

I'm hoping you have a better caliber of people in VA. Too many in CT adopted the "let someone else do something mentality". Plenty of Fuds post Sandy Hook found out they couldn't buy their yearly box of deer cartridges because they never had a CCW and didn't know that the new laws required an Ammunition Purchase Permit. This shit is serious and CT shows it can be done.

You probably have seen this first video (it went viral). Many of us tried our best. Henson is a friend. (Larry Vickers was so impressed with Henson's testimony he comped him a slot in his Advanced Pistol Class in CT later that year.)

Another friend. An 18C SF Piper Hitter. His business went belly up. He went back to active duty.

And finally another friend who decided to leave CT.

There is a CT contingent on the way down for the rally. Sic semper tyrannis!
    Last edited by JohnO; 01-19-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but with the D's controlling the House, any pro 2A bill would not even be allowed to be heard in committee.

The only way I can even conceive of the HPA being brought up would be to attach it to a pot of gold for the left, like a permanent AWB, or perhaps a major climate change bill. Then many on the right would vote against it.

Heck it might not even pass the Senate the way things currently are.

I don't see DT wasting his time knowing what is going to happen.

As for the SC, even Scalia said bans are allowable. I don't see the two new guys and Roberts as being further right leaning than him.

of course just my opinion
    cc

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but with the D's controlling the House, any pro 2A bill would not even be allowed to be heard in committee.
    The failure to compromise has led to this...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I don't see DT wasting his time knowing what is going to happen.
    I disagree. You should not be quiet on what should be done. During the first two years, when the Democrats didn't have control, the bills could have been passed in the House. Mitch could have pushed them to filibuster in the Senate.

The repeated repeals of Obamacare were not seen as a waste of time. It put down a marker.

Same idea could have been used in Trump's first two years. Announcing a priority in the State of the Union is not a waste of time. IMHO, the ruling class in the GOP are not interested in expanding gun rights or removing the issue from their campaign appeals.

I am going now to load magazines that are limited in capacity because of my new location. Yes, I had other reasons for the move than guns. I have no confidence that a SCOTUS save will surface in the time I have left as I am 72.

It'll never happen, because at the end of the day neither the Republicans nor Democrats care about reducing legislation or regaining rights lost for their citizens. They care about money; and guns, like abortion, are just ways of leveraging more pork for their given districts.

You want a new highway appropriation? Better drop your support of the Hearing Protection Act. I mean, do we want Joe The Plumber having a silencer? Think of all the people in your district who need their roads repaved...

Donald Trump cares about what makes Trump look good. I don't think he gives a shit about much of any of the legislation being passed, except what can make him money down stream. No president or presidential candidate understands what the average American needs from their government. They hear, vaguely, what they want, but don't care about the needs. It's smoke, mirrors, and rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic from time-to-time to make people think they give a shit.

For me; while I would delight in the repeal of the NFA and all of its downstream laws, along with a Supreme Court ruling that supercedes the state's ability to regulate firearms beyond interstate commerce; I recognize that such things are pipe dreams that mean nothing. At this point we need to vigorously defend what we have, clean our own fucking house (looking at you, NRA), and make sure we do not let incremental or vicious attempts to undermine the rights of the people go unchecked. Otherwise, what I want is very simple - to be left the fuck alone.

Snarky posts were not enough? You decided to make a thread as well?

Why doesn’t the cantankerous crew discuss how the Democrats are attempting to obliterate the 2nd and spark a potential civil war? IMO this is a real credible issue. Depending on any politician or even scotus to secure our rights is pissing in the wind. Fighting against the oppressors through legal means now stops the potential bloodshed in the future.

Should Trump do more to secure our rights? Yes! Do I think he actually will? Doubtful.

Site Supporter
    I already know that Democrats will not support anything other than rich guys having O/U shotguns. So what. Thus, we should give up on pressuring the supposed supporters of gun rights from being proactive?

If Congress folk do propose positive legislation, I expect strong and vocal support for that legislation at a minimum. You can excuse Donald, Ryan (when he caved) and Mitch all you want and just bitch about known anti gun folks.

You don't think getting a positive, enhancement based message out there, isn't good. The only thing we see are vague defenses, send a check.

Civil War?

Let me repeat that - Civil War?

Stop reading the boogaloo shit.

Go outside and breath some fresh air and turn off the talk radio.

___

More than half our population is obese and/or has diabetes and heart disease. Our kids can barely fucking read. 80% of Americans live paycheck-to-paycheck and you think there is a fucking civil war imminent? People are working to survive they don't give a shit about your guns most Americans don't give a shit about Planned Parenthood and abortion. These are talking points for ultra wealthy elite who control our society and government to get wealthier through war and fear mongering. The fucking elite have no interest in a Civil War, it doesn't make them money.

___

Civil Fucking War they're talking about.

[QUOTE=Glenn E. Meyer;982889]I disagree. You should not be quiet on what should be done. During the first two years, when the Democrats didn't have control, the bills could have been passed in the House. Mitch could have pushed them to filibuster in the Senate.

QUOTE]

Thoroughly agree with you on that. Unfortunately it wasn't done. They should have taken lessons from BO about getting the ACA passed when he had control of all 3 branches.

Furthermore, the Vegas shooting pretty much killed the HPA. In the days after the shooting there were prominent members of the D party stating on national TV/cable news that passage of the HPA would have made the shooting much worse. "Imagine if he had used suppressors! Nobody would have known where he was shooting from, so they couldn't have stopped him!"

No one on our side stood up and called them out on that BS. We should have had prominent R's going on TV, internet, and even the floors of Congress and said that those people have no f'ing clue what they are talking about. They could have also educated the public about what suppressors can and what they can't do.

But no, they were silent. Thus my pessimism about making any progress going forward.

cc
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 01-19-2020 at 12:36 PM.

User Tag List