View Poll Results: Which one for your only heavy pistol/carbine combo?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • .44 Magnum

46 79.31%
  • .45 Colt

12 20.69%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 Magnum vs. .45 Colt Magnumized

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I’m opting for a .45 LC. But that has as much to do with .45 LC being a classic SA sixgun chambering as anything else.

For hot barn burners and you want factory loads - if you aren’t going to use Buffalo Bore or Garrett as your hot load source, just go .44 Magnum.
    Either way, I will probably end up with 240-250 grain loads at 1100-1200 fps out of a handgun with handloads . Maybe a bit more with a SRH, especially with an 8" barrel.

I doubt I will shoot much in tbe way of hotter stuff in a handgun. But I could see going boutique in a carbine.

For some reason, the only "cowboy caliber" I really lust for is .44-40, but I want it in an N-frame. No idea why. Modern .45 Colt strikes me as a different animal than the balloon-headed old round. I've never really picked up the SA addiction like I have for DA guns, despite owning a very nice Single-Six.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 01-17-2020 at 12:57 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I've never really picked up the SA addiction
    You're doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    Neither. The .41 Magnum all the way, eh?
    Philistine
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    You're doing it wrong.

I blame Target World in Cincinnati for having plenty of Model 28s for rent, and no SA guns. I also give them partial blame for my DA obsessions.

Actually, the fact that I inherited a 5" 625 (within months of posting on some forum at the time that I wanted that exactly that model) is mostly to blame.

Due to Alien Nation, I have lusted after a Freedom Arms .454.

Anyone feel like sending me a nice wad of cash so I can buy one, and do this addiction thing "right?" Or I could create a kickstarter. 😈😀.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Philistine
    I would use that word more with my students if they had a clue what it meant.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Lets not forget Point Break.

Last edited by Bigghoss; 01-17-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I blame Target World in Cincinnati for having plenty of Model 28s for rent, and no SA guns. I also give them partial blame for my DA obsessions.

Actually, the fact that I inherited a 5" 625 (within months of posting on some forum at the time that I wanted that exactly that model) is mostly to blame.

Anyone feel like sending me a nice wad of cash so I can buy one, and do this addiction thing "right?" Or I could create a kickstarter. 😈😀.
    Read CJ Box and you're going to want a S&W .500
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Growing up, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to shoot a wide variety of calibers from a wide range of handguns. Between the 357, 41, 44 and 45, I settled in the 357 & 45. (I also have a Ruger single action 41 that, for nostalgic reasons, I bought off my favorite Uncle) and have no desire to get a 44 (maybe a 44 Special in the right revolver). You get a lot of performance out of a 45 Colt with "Tier 2" ammo.

The 44 magnum is legendary for good reason, but a modern 45 Colt has a certain...presence the upstart 44 magnum will never match. The 45 Colt seems to get the job done more efficiently.

To answer your question directly Baldanders, I went a third route- Tier 2 45 Colt.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-19-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Growing up, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to shoot a wide variety of calibers from a wide range of handguns. Between the 357, 41, 44 and 45, I settled in the 357 & 45. (I also have a Ruger single action 41 that, for nostalgic reasons, I bought off my favorite Uncle) and have no desire to get a 44 (maybe a 44 Special in the right revolver). You get a lot of performance out of a 45 Colt with "Tier 2" ammo.

The 44 magnum is legendary for good reason, but a modern 45 Colt has a certain...presence the upstart 44 magnum will never match. The 45 Colt seems to get the job done more efficiently.

To answer your question directly Baldanders, I went a third route- Tier 2 45 Colt.
    Just to make sure I'm reading you correctly, you mean loads that probably run about 100-200 fps over .45 Colt mainstream factory loads? (Or at least the listed velocities for those loads--I think most are loaded pretty tamely to avoid blowing up older guns)

Does that still basically mean "Ruger?" Not that I have a problem with that. But a .45 Colt Model 25 would go great with my .45 ACP example.

I did some some searching on current prices for .41s, and they really aren't bad, but I would say the ammo/bullet situation definitely puts it behind the .44 or .45 options for flexibility , although if I was just going for a pure deerslayer and nothing else, I might go that route.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Read CJ Box and you're going to want a S&W .500
    Googled the author and I was suprised we haven't seen a TV adaptation of his works. "Red Dragon" made Charter Arms .44s seem like a good idea for a second, so who knows?

When the X-frames first came out, I got to fondle one and I was surprised by the nice balance. If one came along at a good price in .460 Smith, I would be psyched. A pistol with TWO power levels I will almost never use. 😸
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List