Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Coordinated Attacks in Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    [*]Read somewhere that most Muslims in the USA are of African, not Arabic/Iranian descent. Not sure if that's true, but I suspect it is. All the actual Muslims I work with are African immigrants. The Arabs I've known here have mostly been Christians. We have many Sikhs, too.
    It might well vary regionally, but that statement mirrors my experience here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. At my last job, there were a LOT of Somali and other northern African Muslim immigrants. Pretty much zero middle eastern folks, at least to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If De Gaulle is in the Persian Gulf, they could have easily flown across Iraq and turned north. If they had planes based in Jordan, it was easy enough to get there. Any planes in Jordan probably arrived via the French airbase in Djibouti yesterday.
    -Rob
    It is supposed to arrive in the Persian Gulf on the 18th, but is it going there now?

[*]What happens if/when ISIS starts stirring up the Uyghur (ethnic Muslim) population of China?[/LIST]

I believe there were some pictures of dead Chinese ISIS guys on Liveleak some time back. I dont recall if a definite connection to uyghurs was made or not.

The Chinese and the Uyhurs have been mixing it up sporadically for a while, but I don't know that it's anything other than a religious minority objecting to the fact that Beijing periodically tries to suppress religious expression. (They also go after Christians and Falun Gong.)

ETA: That is, I don't know that there are any outside influences/support/leadership.
    Last edited by Drang; 11-15-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Daniel Hannan, Member of the EuroParliament for SE England, who is often used as an example of what a Tea party politican would look like in the UK, has an OpEd: Horror in Paris: The reason we call it 'terrorism' | Washington Examiner
    It's natural, in the aftermath of an atrocity, to cast around for proportionately strong language. Still, it's worth thinking about what effect such talk might have on the next generation of losers looking to make a splash.

Because it's losers we're dealing with. Don't romanticize the gunmen by taking them at their own estimation. Don't accept their claim to be acting according to some higher principle. Look at them, for heaven's sake: young, angry, vain, self-obsessed. We should no more accept their self-justification at face value than we did the me-me-me ramblings of, say, Dylann Roof, the Charleston murderer.

How will President's Hollande's words be heard by the next generation of saddos trawling the web from their mother's basements? It's the sense of civilizational struggle, of war and its associated glamour, that attracts these misfits in the first place — rather as it attracted young narcissists to the Red Brigades or the Baader-Meinhof Gang.

We can't starve the jihadis of publicity: We are free countries with free media. Nor can we decree that the news coverage should be mocking. We can't oblige news anchors to laugh at these idiots with their underpants bombs and their shoe bombs and their pleasing tendency to blow themselves up in error and their curious belief that you can set glass-and-concrete airport terminals on fire by driving into them.

Scorn might be our best weapon, but we won't deploy it. We are human. After an event like this, no one feels like laughing. Our palpable horror will attract the next set of alienated young men. And so the cycle continues.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Here are a couple of more articles I found, these through Instapundit:
    Nine Aftershocks Of The Paris Terrorist Attacks - Forbes
    5. In the wake of the Paris killings, pro-immigration politicians in Europe will face the primal fear of the European public
    6. American politics will be buffeted too. In the short run, President Obama will be pinged with the kind of “mission accomplished” arguments that once dented President Bush. Obama’s comment on ABC News this past Sunday that ISIS is “contained” will be endlessly replayed by talk-radio and cable newscasts and, possibly, by GOP candidates. His comment may have been focused on stopping ISIS’ march in the Kurdish parts of Iraq, but the context will be stripped away—just as Bush learned when his “mission accomplished” moment was shorn of its original meaning to describe the end of the mission of a particular carrier group and falsely represented as a premature signal of the Iraq War’s end.

More seriously, the Paris attacks raise real concerns about Obama’s counter-terror policies. By now, every one realizes that ISIS was re-born in the power vacuum made by America’s exit. Seen from the bloody floor of a Paris concert hall that was hosting an American death-metal band, Obama’s 2011 decision to withdraw virtually all U.S. forces from Iraq and his 2012 decision to renege on his “red line” threat to take action in Syria if chemical weapons were used, looks poorly considered.

If American boots were still on the ground in Iraq, there might well be fewer bodies on the ground in France. Today, the Bush-era slogan–“Fight them over there, not over here”—seems far more sensible. Expect political paralysis as the parties re-fight the Iraq War. Also expect that a more robust pro-intervention wing will emerge among GOP presidential contenders.

At the same time, the Paris attacks will complicate Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid as she served in the Obama Administration during these military retreats and has wooed the anti-intervention wing of the Democratic Party. She may be painted as too weak or too tied to the Obama Administration to face the current crisis.
    But read the whole thing.
    (This was dated the afternoon of the 14th, which was, I believe, before the Democratic "debate", but while the candidates were still objecting to the insertion of foreign policy into the question pool.)

Jihadists Attack Paris Again, the World is Horrified
    Unless Paris is willing to contemplate harsher measures, such as the internment of potential jihadists, known Islamist radicals, we should expect more attacks. There is democratic precedent for this. In October 1970, Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, a liberal icon, declared martial law, deployed the army in the streets, and rounded up nearly 500 extremists, thereby crushing the nascent terror threat in Quebec. Bleeding hearts objected but Trudeau’s famous response, “go on and bleed,” was telling – and he won.

If Hollande has the gumption to do something similar, France can still turn the tide against the jihadists and save many lives. “We know who they are, we usually know where they are,” explained a French counterterrorism official, an old friend, to me in the hours after the Paris attacks: “But will Paris let the gloves come off now? I don’t know.”

In truth, no experts in European jihadism were surprised by this latest atrocity. Given French and EU realities, it was only a matter of time. No experts will be surprised by the next jihadist attack in Europe either. Whether that happens is now up to the Europeans, with France in the lead. Although President Obama can help by doing something more meaningful than sending James Taylor to Paris to sing. Calling the enemy what it actually is would be a start. The fate of a continent is at stake.
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Nothing says, "Domestic Enemy" quite like being ready to murder your fellow citizens for disagreement on a political position.

-Rob
    When your campus darlings finish their metamorphosis 21st century version of the Weather Underground and Students for Democratic Society and are blowing things up and otherwise violently trying to suppress the constitutional rights of Americans - you bet.

"I need some Muscle here" is just a first step.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-15-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    Just catching up on this thread after a relatively quiet weekend (saw Spectre today... Yawn). Didn't watch much news and the news I did watch reeked of stale sameness from previous mass casualty incidents, domestic and otherwise, from Oregon to Hebdo to Egypt.

Sitting here pondering my lackadaisicalness, trying to assign a reason. I think it's the fact that nothing can get done about anything (from domestic murderous narcissists to don't-say-"Islamic" terrorists until the players change. I'm usually pretty good about not getting spun up over things I can't change. I've finally reached that point with the asinine way our President has been waging whatever you want to call it he's doing (because you can't call it a war on terror in its current form) and the same stupiditry from the media. I've finally found some inner peace with it, for now. Those idiots at Mizzou are another story.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    [*]Read somewhere that most Muslims in the USA are of African, not Arabic/Iranian descent. Not sure if that's true, but I suspect it is. All the actual Muslims I work with are African immigrants. The Arabs I've known here have mostly been Christians. We have many Sikhs, too.
    Incorrect. Most immigrant groups are attracted to and more common in, certain regions. The predominance of African Muslims may be true in the PNW, and I'm certain it's true in the Twin Cities but over all you have large numbers of middle eastern Muslims in California, the North East, Virginia / NC, Michigan and Texas. The DFW area in particular has a high concentration of middle Eastern Muslims.

Site Supporter
    In case anyone thinks there aren't ISIS supporters or at the least apologists in the American left.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...?intcmp=hplnws

Minnesota Democrat ends bid for state assembly seat after sympathetic Islamic State tweet

MINNEAPOLIS – A Democratic candidate for the Minnesota House ended his campaign Sunday, hours after he tweeted that the Islamic State group "isn't necessarily evil" and its members were doing what they thought was best for their community.

Dan Kimmel, 63, announced the end of his bid for office on his campaign website and Twitter account

User Tag List