Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Coordinated Attacks in Paris, France

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    If one reads the academic press - across the colleges of America are clear calls for repealing the 2nd Amend. and restricting the 1st with speech codes and safety zones. Check out the Chronicle of Higher Education (chronicle.com)
    These people are just as bad as ISIS. Make no mistake, their end goals are the same
    Last edited by HCM; 11-15-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    These people are just as bad as ISIS. Make no mistake, their end goals are the same
    Harder to get approval to carpet bomb, though
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Your post is thoughtful. If the members of the Greatest Generation were shown video of today's Europe back in 1939... I wonder what they'd have thought?
    Remember that the Greatest Generation did not do anything about Europe until after Pearl Harbor. Even with evidence of Soviet and German atrocities (Katyn forest, concentration camps), the USA did nothing to help Europe but Lend Lease and some prominent Americans (Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh) were tolerant, if not fans, of Hitler. It was not until US forces and territory were attacked that the US went into overdrive and decided that Europe required US action.
    Last edited by farscott; 11-15-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: corrected Katyn

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Harder to get approval to carpet bomb, though
    "all enemies, foreign AND domestic"

Left wing radicals have turn to violence before. Given the level of intolerance demonstrated by the current crop, I don't think it will be long before we see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I humbly disagree. The big picture.....ISIS does want a state and that is the long term goal. They want (and have taken) infrastructure. Dams, oil production, transportation and military equipment. They tax. They are heavily road based to move through their territory. The big picture is a true Fundamentalist Sunni Caliphate, and that very much includes the traditional lands in Saudi Arabia as a long term goal. Much of what they do is to terrorize the populace into submission to the state, and for recruitment to them. They do not attack the west to take the west...they attack the west to get the west to get to leave what they perceive as their region. Their victory is to get the western nations to leave the Middle East entirely and forever. In their convoluted view of the world they want us to go isolationist on our end.....and that is actually a choice for many and would likely work to stop ISIS attacks on us. So, our choices are to totally abandon the Middle East altogether and let them return it to a Caliphate that is ruled by a seventh century based doctrine, or.......we slaughter every single one of them and their associates. A negotiated middle road compromise is not going to be part of the equation...they do not think like that.

Now, converting the west and the entire world to Islam is always the utopian goal, the true goal they think is really attainable is a large Middle East state in which they dominate and run as a purely Islamic state based on their interpretation of what that is, not ours.
    Truthfully, the whole apocalyptic thing is much more an Iranian Shia thing......which really worries me about them with a nuclear arsenal.
    I'm not sure what you're specifically disagreeing with.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'd like to jump back in the discussion for a moment.

I stumbled upon this image (**VERY NSFW**, you've been warned) in my research online.

I watched nearly every video I could find online and I have to say that while anger is not an emotion I generally have physical manifestation from, I can say without hesitation that I am angry.

The fact this occurred is a consequence of life in our world today, the fact their attack was so successful is a testament to the lack of the average person taking the threat of violence against them seriously. In all the video's I did not see a single person taking any sort of live saving action, either medical (carrying a tourniquet for example at the most basic level) or tactical (obviously Paris is "gun free") other then the first responding LE/MED. This shows a substantial gap in mindset, specifically preparedness.

How will we fair when this happens here?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ed-isil-213362

Good read on the problems and the underestimation of the problem. I will opine that the solution to small group or lone wolf firearms based attacks is for there to be more competent individuals in the general population.

The Johnny J Frame, Timmy Taurus 85 guy is fine for the mugger be gone paradigm of CHL or CCW. Not that I'm knocking J frames which are great guns but too many people top out with those (or an LCP) with little training or just leaving it in the car.

Nor am I saying that an individual shouldn't just haul butt away from the sounds of gunfire (a debate we had). However, if push comes to shove and you are there, we need more competent folks in the general population. Speaking to the choir.

Trump said this but most of the Democratic side will denounce the idea of self-defense and demean those who even suggest it. They will chuckle that you are nuts. Bah.

In the last debate, Hlliary babbled about UBC. Someone should ask her flat out (and Bernie) do you support the shall issue laws for CCW. Cut the crap and make her take a stand on whether regular folks can defend themselves.

TGS, disagreed with their goals. They are very state and caliphate expansion oriented. Much of what they are doing is to gain recruits and to get people to join them. Most of their actions are to bring believers in and get the infidels out. Fairly unconventional means....but by medevial standards....makes some sense.

I honestly think the attacks we see are a means of demoralizing the west into leaving the region. We can't even say "Islamic" without controversy, and we treat this like a law enforcement problem. Paris is seen as a "gun violence" issue. John Kerry finds it to be an affront to dignity.......does this sound like we are a threat to the Islamic State, or the words of people who can be convinced to leave "Their State"? For Christ's sake.....Bernie Sanders, the #2 Presidential Candidate and a Senator thinks this is due to global warming..! They are betting we will lose our will before we will engage in an all out war with them. We are afraid of offending them.....forget destroying them.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 11-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Now that our govt. has decided to open our doors wider it wont be long before it really hits home. http://www.fox8live.com/story/304289...in-new-orleans

Site Supporter
    To piggy back on Voodoo. At my recent old school, they send out a notice for Active Shooter training. It says the presentation (not a simulation) will teach you what to do when an active shooter enters your comfort area. I thought your comfort area was the place for Preparation H.

We got notices to be aware and that each department should have a flashlight and first aid kit. Oh, that will do a lot of good in the office. I asked specifically why we don't offer some trauma, critical incident first aid training along with the suggestion to have some band aids.

I was told by two administrations that they would have to consult the lawyers for liability concerns. They have defibs all over but won't offer a demo for liability concerns.

Very few people went to the Active shooter presentation. The faculty are above such.

I once mentioned at a meeting that we should consider training. I was told it was good that I had training (as they though I would be their savior?) and Professor X had training as she played Rugby. Oh, Ok.

So I train myself and took the Lone Star class. I mentioned that Texas A&M could do some emergency first aid training. No takers.

For grins, I decided to tell the campus cops that they should ditch the Glock 22s for 9mm. No answer on that. But now I'm retired and only on campus to use the gym to lift. They are the masters of their own fate.

User Tag List