Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Light / Mount on a budget

Site Supporter

Rifle Light / Mount on a budget

Hey all,

Fairly straightforward I had a not terrible but... informative experience tonight. Long story short, in the office, hear bump in the empty house several thuds. Upstairs studying for a Cisco certification after Jiu Jitsu this evening and I have an empty 1911 I’ve been dry firing.

I work my way downstairs to the safe with my empty pistol and what ensues is a fiasco.

I have two cats so, I figured probably the cats but it sounded loud and happened twice; I figured let’s get a gun with some bullets in it from the safe in the garage.

I grabbed my SBR because it was the most capable weapon I had that was ready, chambered a round and checked the house. It was some car doors slamming across the street.

TLDR: I need weapon lights.

I’m thinking on of the stream light Pro-Tacs with a mount. I have MOE handguards that are the originals with a standard FSB. The Rifle is capable (12.5” factory SBR with an H2 in a scalar works mount); it just needs a light.

I don’t want to spend $500-600 to shave the front sight base, buy a front BUIS, rail, light mount, and light. (I figured a SureFire M300 will be recommended, a MLok rail at $200-250, Folding FSB, etc.)

I’m left eye dominant and shoot the rifle with both hands regularly; I’d like to maintain control of the Handguard.

Open to ideas, suggestions, etc.

Disclaimer, I’m just a guy with a rifle that needs a light. I didn’t want to call police for a sound in my residence, barricade, etc. I can’t currently afford a $500 carbine class and 1,000 rounds. I’m saying this just in case the thread takes a turn to “never clear your own house, stay in your lane, etc.”.

God bless,

Brandon

ETA: I forgot; I’d like to spend about $150-200. I’m looking at the single cell ProTac from stream light. Bill Blowers on primary and secondary seemed to have a positive experience on 11.5” rifles. Seems like a good option.
    Last edited by BWT; 12-14-2017 at 10:18 PM.

You could buy an Elzetta flashlight mount that attaches to the FSB and will accept a handheld light. Or you could upgrade the Magpul handguards with their new ones with MLOK then attach a rail section and flashlight.

Site Supporter
    <$150 a TRL1 and a Midwest mount.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/96...aluminum-matte

Site Supporter
    If you've got MOE handguards, I think the Protac and IWC setup is hard to beat.

These are my two setups. Ones is an IWC Thorntail Scout, the other is the MOE "Mount-N-Slot" "SMCXL" mount. Both guns have Protac HL-X lights in them. I've got about $135 into each setup:

I went with the HL-X because of the ability to take 18650 batteries an chuck 1000 lumens. Though, Surefire has stepped up there game and is bringing a 1500 lumen Scout that takes 18650s, so I'm looking forward to that.

If you go on to IWC's website, you can get a Surefire Scout M300 or M600 Ultra with SMC or SMCXL mount for $220. The Protac models are a little bigger, but I like the option to use AA batteries in the RM1 models. An SMC mount and RM1 would run you about $120 plus shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

+1 for the Streamlight HLX. I’ve got one on an AK SBR that’s seen a bit of hard use. So far the light, switch, and mount have been solid.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    320 lumens 60.00

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...aluminum-black

650 lumens 110.00
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/96...nitrolon-black

Viking tactics light mount 25.00
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/27...-mount-polymer

Universal rail at 8.00 as they are back ordered on magpul stuff which would be under 10.00
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/32...-polymer-black

95 to 150 max all in.

YMMV greatly

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    I have the GG&G version of the above captioned Midwest mount on several guns and have used it on a few duty rifles. Use blue loc tote and witness mark the screws - it will be good to go.

Another good option for FSB guns is the mossie midnight mount which is now being made by Arisaka defense.

Speaking of Arisaka, for about a 1/3 more than the protac 1 cell you can get an Arisaka scout. worth the additional $$ in my opinion. If not the 600 and 800 lumen TLR HL's or the HLX are a safer bet than the pro tac.

If you want to use your MOE HG I'll second Ragnar_d's recommendation of IWC - great stuff.

On my MOE hanguards I have a Streamlight Scorpion in Magpul's mount for 1" lights. Gets the job done. On my work carbine I have a Surefire on and ARMS mount with a tape switch. I also recently traded into a Surefire G2 with an MI ring mount and a tailcap with a tape switch.

Or you could grab an MLOK pic rail for a few bucks and throw a TLR-1 on it and call it good enough. Use the shop Amazon link at the top of the page so PF gets a kickback and be done with it.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 12-15-2017 at 02:00 AM.

Which ProTac are you guys recommending?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...amlight+protac
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Which ProTac are you guys recommending?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...amlight+protac
    The ones I've got are the ProTac Rail Mount HL-X (Streamlight SKU 88066). The other one I'm looking at (and I think OP was talking about) was the ProTac Rail Mount 1 (Streamlight SKU 88058) that takes either (1) AA or (1) CR123.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List