Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strong Hand Grip Pressure?

I try to grip the gun with my chest and not my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I try to grip the gun with my chest and not my hands.
    You must have huge tits
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I grip the living piss out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You must have huge tits
    Big ol man tits, shit would make Caitlyn Jenner jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like the 60/40 ratio thing. That's just one more thing to think about while shooting that is not needed. Grip with your dominant hand like you're holding a hammer and hammering a nail and use your support hand for more grip. Grip as tight as you can without shaking the gun and enough with your dominant hand to still have the dexterity to manipulate the trigger.

If you want to grip harder buy a captains of crush grip trainer.

I grip with strong hand like I mean it.

I grip with support hand like I mean to take strong hand's job away from him.

Use 60/40, like you hold a hammer, hard as you can without shaking, front to back firing hand and side to side support hand, I have heard grip pressure described may ways. Do you really know if you're right at 60/40 or are you using 65/35 or 70/30? I have always taken the ratio description to mean nothing more than 'more grip pressure with the support hand than the firing hand'.

Ultimately you need to hold on to the gun. Hold on in a way that minimizes movement and allows your sight to return as quickly as possible. For some people especially new shooters or those without good trigger control gripping strongly will help prevent grip milking from recoil anticipation. If you are already gripping hard you won't be able to tighten your grip in anticipation.

Grip strength and grip pressure alone in not the golden ticket. How you wrap your hands around the gun has a much bigger effect on recoil control. The laws of physics apply therefore more envelopment around and the higher up you can get your grip on the gun the better your control will be.

I have seen Kyle Defoor demo his grip where he uses only the support hand technique shown in the following video. (The way he is holding the Glock right at 3:15) Kyle will hold his G19 with his support hand thumb and index finger only. The three other fingers on his support hand (other strong hand) are held out straight. He places only one finger from his strong hand on the trigger to fire the gun. The gun is easily controllable through the firing cycle with only the two fingers of his grip. From watching that demo it becomes apparent that how you hold it is more important than how tightly you grip it.

Folks,
    Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.
    Defoor demonstrates wrapping his support hand finger around the trigger guard (As Ayoob also does)
    but he doesn't say if he applies any or some or a lot of pressure with his wrapping finger.
    Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 01-12-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: More info.

The first finger to get sore from dry firing is my support hand index finger from grabbing onto the trigger guard. YMMV
    i used to wannabe

Strong Hand Grip Pressure?

It takes a lot of work to develop a really good grip. I've shot 1000's of rounds in bill drills, or just into the berm while watching the sights and experimenting with my grip.

One thing I've noticed is how much the friction of the gun's grip affects the equation. Going from my gamer 320 with a 36-grit Alma Cole grip to a slippery stock grip is like night and day. The oem grip requires a lot more effort to control.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-12-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List