Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best J Frame for Pocket Carry

Best J Frame for Pocket Carry

I don't want to derail RJ's LCR thread, so I will put this here. As I said before, the LCR with CTC is a no go for pocket carry. Apparently, even with boot's it's slightly longer and taller than most J frames. So which J frame is going to be better for pocket carry, the rounded hump backs, or the 42 type. Would a Chief's Special with a bobbed hammer work ok?

Also, is there a difference in the boot grips for the hump back style? If so, where do you find them? All I ever see listed is for J frame , no difference between body style.

I've got all three, but 642 has a few subtle advantages. One, your hand gets higher up on the backstrap and hence the bore is lower relative to your wrist. I've found that makes a difference in recoil management and also in instinctive shooting (which I try to avoid but) and also in the speed with which I pick up the sights. Two, the rear sight groove seems to be deeper than on my 638. That also makes a difference. Not sure if that is true on the earlier humpbacks. A model 637/36/37 style w bobbed hammer is also dandy. Truth is, you won't go wrong with any of them. If you're going to buy only one, to me it's 642. DEFINITELY get the performance center (enhanced action?) no lock model. Mine is much better built than some of my other recent j-frames.

Agree with above, the 642 is solid as a pocket carry choice and you can shoot it well with practice! The only jframe I found better was a 340PD as it was lighter, but I had to sell that one so the 642 it is!

Another vote for 642-1 (no-lock) based upon both price and performance. Great gun, carries easily AIWB or pocket.

I still think that an M&P 340 may be in my future somewhere down the line, simply due to the superior (night) sight, (the slight weight differential is insignificant to me), but that will have to wait at least until my HVAC system is replaced in a couple of weeks.

That said, I'm happy as a clam with the 642.
    Last edited by blues; 06-19-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

642 or 638 for most of us. 342/340 for the ballers.

I have not seen bodyguard specific grips. There are the “centennial” grips from Craig Spegel and now Hogue for 342/442/642/340/640/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Thanks all, I will see what my local guy has today.
    The "Snub Interview" sold me on the idea having pocket carry as another option. I had given up up on it with the LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post

I have not seen bodyguard specific grips. There are the “centennial” grips from Craig Spegel and now Hogue for 342/442/642/340/640/etc.
    Damn it, I swore someone here on the forum posted they had a set of bodyguard specific boots.
    Or, maybe I just imagined it.
    Sucks getting old.

If price, weight, function and "concealability" are all given approximately-equal weight in deciding on the best "pocket revolver" choice, I'd definitely agree that the S&W 442 or 642 come out on top.

OTOH, if weight takes precedence above price, my choice would be (and is) the 340PD.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post

Absolutely. It would be my recommendation on the guns.

As far as grips....Spegel does make Bodyguard specific grips. They are on my favorite 649 Bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Damn it, I swore someone here on the forum posted they had a set of bodyguard specific boots.
    Or, maybe I just imagined it.
    Sucks getting old.
    If anyone has Bodyguard specific Spegels, I have Centennial specific Spegels to trade.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I have a Smith and Wesson 442 (No lock) that I use for pocket carry. It has a surprisingly smooth trigger pull, and has worked great the past 5 years. Gunbroker had some great prices on no lock 442’s when I checked this week. Good luck!

User Tag List