Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA vs SFA vs ... -- 2019 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    If only Beretta made a DA/SA single stack..the market is crowded with SFA single stacks.
    Correction - let's expand on this a bit: a slim, trim, 9mm DA/SA single stack...

They made the Beretta TypeM, but it isn't much slimmer than a 92... The grips were massive...

So just to clarify on the DA/SA system VS striker, on the LE side we have a generation of striker babies spawned over a 25 year span that are institutionally indoctrinated to the system and cant or wont take the time and or investment to properly train their personnel in the correct use of the DA/SA, which is in every measurable matrix, a vastly superior system. And the commercial market folks are simply too stupid to know the difference either way. That about cover it?
    Last edited by CanineCombatives; 02-06-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Because that is largely what the market wants. As much as Ernest, myself, and a few others might wish for DA/SA to make a real comeback, we're the last few adherents to that ancient religion. Which is kind of a bummer because it's better in every imaginable way.
    Like many religious discussions, the claimed superiority of any particular pistol action system is rooted more in belief and feelings than fact.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    More people as in consumers or more people as in agencies?

Agencies it's an easy answer: It is slightly harder to teach multiple trigger presses than one trigger press, and during their initial blitz of the law enforcement market, Glock hit this point HARD. To the point that there is an entire generation of cops who are now in administration who believe in their heart of hearts that their shooter's qual scores will be better with striker fired guns vs DA/SA even if what little data there is on this doesn't back it up. But since most departments aren't run by "gun people" and their cops shoot twice a year at best, it's easier to teach to the test with a single trigger pull.

More consumers don't use it because the average gun consumer is maybe a little bit smarter than a bag full of hammers and isn't really a talented enough shooter to appreciate the mechanical advantages of a DA/SA trigger over a SFA gun.
    This ^^ is true plus Agencies also have to teach de-cocking. Every little bit of training time counts because the cost of man hours for remedial training exceeds the cost of new guns and ammo.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-06-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    I like the idea of just having one trigger pull, in theory. With most DA/SA guns, I do slightly shift my grip on the transition--which isn't ideal, I suppose. But while SFA guns offer that one-pull simplicity, they offer neither the peace of mind of a DA, nor the shootability of a SA. So, in essence, that simplicity gains you (or at least me) nothing.

And if "one length of pull" is the goal... 1911s and Hi Powers have been doing it better than anyone for decades. I will say I have come to appreciate the simplicity and inherent shootability of my recently acquired Hi Power. And though I have carried it cocked and locked (as opposed to cocked and unlocked, which is your only option with most SFA guns), my go-to is still a single-stack Sig DA/SA.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 02-07-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I am a bit curious. Why hasn't the Sig 225 been mentioned in this conversation?
    I have one. Well, a P6. It's actually very comfortable to carry, AIWB. Though I shoot my P239 slightly better and the grip conceals slightly better. Also... the P239 is one of the few DA/SA guns where I don't really have to shift my grip between DA and SA.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Like many religious discussions, the claimed superiority of any particular pistol action system is rooted more in belief and feelings than fact.
    For what it's worth, I grew up on Sigs and I didn't have many things to say about carrying the M9 other than what William Atwater said about the Abrams.

I've been thinking about going back to something Beretta but I also have to take a hard look at myself and ask if I'm really developed my shooting to the level that would justify it.

There is no singular "best" here: Shoot what makes sense to you in your daily life/routine and make decisions based on your mode of carry, threat model, etc...

Personally, I like the peace of mind of a DA/SA gun when carrying AIWB, but that's just me. More so, I appreciate a mechanically reliable, metal frame pistol as opposed to a plastic gun. Again, just me.

Amen.....(pun intended)
    Last edited by CanineCombatives; 02-07-2019 at 02:30 PM.

I strongly prefer whatever I happen to currently be shooting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List