Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Tim Herron's 2 Day Practical Performance, Homestead FL

RFI: Tim Herron's 2 Day Practical Performance, Homestead FL

Tim Herron is offering a 2-day Practical Performance (USPSA-centered) class March 2022, near Homestead FL.

The class is hosted by EDC Pistol Training:

https://www.edcpistoltraining.com/

I'm familiar with Tim's class based on reviews and AARs, but I am curious if anyone has any feedback on the class host. I don't have any specific concerns, just trying to do my due diligence before forking out for a deposit.

Thanks.

Since Tim is a class act, I would rely on his selection of the host as a sufficient recommendation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't know anything about EDC other than what I've read in some AAR's. I like that he wrote an actual negative review for a class. That's rare. Also, to add to GJM's comment, Herron taught an EDC-hosted class a few months ago, so he knows what he's getting into there, and he's going back. https://909cdb8a-ae70-4094-9bf8-6213...62d225ad0e.pdf
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

FWIW, this is my A/O-ish, or was, and I've never met or heard of any of those EDC guys. But, I would defer to Tim as well and worry not a lot about the "host". particularly if Tim has dealt with them before.

If the range is this one, I would also vouch for all involved there as well. The owner, in particular, is a Grade A good dude.
    https://shoothtc.com/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Since Tim is a class act, I would rely on his selection of the host as a sufficient recommendation.
    Yeah, agreed; however, the organizer for the last class I signed up for with Tim that was to be held this past February cancelled the class with no reason provided. I just kinda wanted a second opinion this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I don't know anything about EDC other than what I've read in some AAR's. I like that he wrote an actual negative review for a class. That's rare. Also, to add to GJM's comment, Herron taught an EDC-hosted class a few months ago, so he knows what he's getting into there, and he's going back. https://909cdb8a-ae70-4094-9bf8-6213...62d225ad0e.pdf
    That's a good AAR, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

If the range is this one, I would also vouch for all involved there as well. The owner, in particular, is a Grade A good dude.
    https://shoothtc.com/
    It is.

Signed up for the class and paid my deposit, so I am all set. Appreciate the inputs, all.

Site Supporter
    Karim, the host, is good people. He has attended my instructor development course as well as many others, and was an AI at a later class for me. Good Dude.

Thank you Tom, I am indeed working with Karim for this class with Tim next year. Appreciate the info.

And here I am.

Painful drive down from Sarasota, stuck for 45 minutes due to a major crash on Alligator Alley FHP was sweeping up. And delays on the Turnpike. But I got here.

And I managed to leave my Glock 34 at home. It is safe in my travel essentials bag, which I didn’t manage to remember to put in the truck either. Awkward.

I am carrying my G19, so looks like I’ll be taking the class with that. I did manage to bring all my USPSA stuff; belt, mags, ammo etc so so should be fine. I did some dry work here in the hotel room. Given the optics are the same I’m not too worried. Good thing I shoot Glocks.

Name:  B266BAAB-CAA9-444D-8511-911A029F91AB.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  45.7 KB

Looking forward to it.

End of TD1. Raw notes below.

Shooting my box stock Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS with Holosun 507c. Ammo is Blazer Brass 124 gr.

Run 1: Headline: Where’s the dad gone dot?

This is the ‘before’ run on the stage setup for class. I really struggled to see the 2 MOA dot. Later, I switched to circle dot.

Two positives: I made up the no shoot. Shot on the move in second array. Negatives: Finding dot was like ‘Where’s Waldo’.

Tim: Get the gun up and shoot proactively. 4/10” is two rounds. Individualize targets = no, shoot target arrays = yes.

Need Backstrap covered with strong hand on the draw. Initial index support hand is critical. Need side to side pressure. But must have a positive location support hand every time.

Exercise squeezing support hand and see gun move. Don’t do that. Fix your grip.

Tim had me rotate the gun in my strong hand around, so more of the back strap was covered, squeezing front to back. Then my support hand indexed up and in, ending up with both finger tips about 1” (i.e. the same), with support hand squeezing side to side. This feels weird but seems to be working.

Break

Learn how what go fast looks like. Speed. Then accuracy. Speed. Then accuracy.

My job is to 1 Build my Grip. 2 Manage the sights.

SH WH. Don’t muscle the gun. Track and predictability. “Squeeze the beaver”. Step, roll shoulder in, gun rides at one vertical arc. Thumb base squeeze. Wait for sights. Don’t over muscle gun.

Sight alignment exercise left right up down

Ditch the zip tie. Just press hard to show grip issues that come up.

Last drill: Shot calling. 2x6, 3x2, 2x3. See picture. Very interesting.

Overnight notes: Set 507c to circle only. Cleaned Glock. Loaded All mags. TD1 has range can plus 17, so total day 1 is 250 minus 17 minus what’s in the can.

Had 5 liters of water today. It was hot, 88F. No malfunctions.

Oh, and the Glock 19 is a pretty versatile gun.

Name:  89FC4080-B4BD-4C30-A1EA-4DB57290978A.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  72.9 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 03-12-2022 at 08:06 PM.

User Tag List