Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: American Rifleman: Testing the 38 Special

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I miss Nyclads.

Just sayin'...

Okie John

Wasn't Nyclad some kinda late '70s marketing scheme?

Just kidding. Nuttin' wrong with pretty blue boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    Wasn't Nyclad some kinda late '70s marketing scheme?

Just kidding. Nuttin' wrong with pretty blue boolits.
    Yes to both.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Yes to both.

Okie John
    Agreed. Nothing wrong with a soft lead HP bullet with a nylon coating, as far as I am concerned, for the .38 Spl.
    Last edited by muzzleblast; 06-09-2018 at 11:04 PM.

I would like to have had the Underwood Xtreme Defender 38spl included in this test.

From what I've seen on You Tube, it looks impressive.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    Agreed. Nothing wrong with a soft lead HP bullet with a nylon coating, as far as I am concerned, for the .38 Spl.
    Isn't this coming back around for other calibers? (American Eagle Syntech 9mm, springs to mind)

"This was followed by firing three rounds into a block that had been covered with a layer of denim, a layer of insulation and two layers of cotton shirt material. This clothing barrier is an important factor as the materials used can plug a bullet’s cavity and render the hollow point ineffective."

Is this part of the FBI testing? I thought they used four layers of denim. If not, why not stick to the typical testing medium?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    "This was followed by firing three rounds into a block that had been covered with a layer of denim, a layer of insulation and two layers of cotton shirt material. This clothing barrier is an important factor as the materials used can plug a bullet’s cavity and render the hollow point ineffective."

Is this part of the FBI testing? I thought they used four layers of denim. If not, why not stick to the typical testing medium?

The FBI uses a “heavy clothing” test consisting of one layer of denim, fleece, and two cotton shirt cloth. The IWBA developed the four layers of denim.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The FBI uses a “heavy clothing” test consisting of one layer of denim, fleece, and two cotton shirt cloth. The IWBA developed the four layers of denim.
    Gotcha. Thanks for setting me straight.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    ...and the FBI should follow suit, IMO. It is simpler and works just as good or better to plug the HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    I would like to have had the Underwood Xtreme Defender 38spl included in this test.

From what I've seen on You Tube, it looks impressive.
    Do these really penetrate better than conventional ball or SWC designs? I imagine the shape has something to do with it but we're still bound by the SAAMI pressure and velocity specs. Using Underwood's website as an example, they have a 125gr +P jacketed flat point listed as good for 1,200 FPS. The Underwood/Lehigh 100gr is listed as having the same velocity. There's also a 140gr Lehigh with a listed speed of 1,000 FPS.

I'd guess all three loads would be pretty close to each other in terms of penetration but would also guess the 140gr would punch the deepest given the additional weight.

Not 38 Special but here's some limited info on one of the Lehigh bullets:

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blo...ah3-jpg-w-1374
    Last edited by Tokarev; 06-14-2018 at 08:59 AM.

User Tag List