Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My new Colt Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Any indication of an ally frame version coming down the pike?
    I believe the Night Cobra that debuted at SHOT may have an alloy frame.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I believe the Night Cobra that debuted at SHOT may have an alloy frame.
    According to Colt, the Night Cobra has an IonBond-finished stainless steel frame, and the weight is 24.8 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    According to Colt, the Night Cobra has an IonBond-finished stainless steel frame, and the weight is 24.8 ounces.
    Too bad.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I still want to know if the barrel is actually MIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I still want to know if the barrel is actually MIM.
    I was not aware that this was a question. The MIM process is suitable for many parts, but the geometry of a barrel makes it not the most suitable. MIM shines on complex shapes where no final machining is required. I cannot imagine the rifling and the forcing cone being part of the casting, so a rifling operation and forcing cone would have to be done. I would guess that the barrel might be an investment casting.

I do know that S&W did try the MIM process on a Bodyguard .380. I have not tried it.

That being said, I just ordered a Cobra because I "need" to see the barrel. I was on the brink anyway, and this thread tipped the scales.
    Last edited by farscott; 06-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.

I was not aware that this was a question.

That being said, I just ordered a Cobra because I "need" to see the barrel. I was on the brink anyway, and this thread tipped the scales.
    See post # 340 this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....t-Cobra/page34

Kindly let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by Willard; 06-04-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Picked my sample up today. I need to section a barrel to learn more. The shroud/exterior is obviously cast (molded), but my limited visual inspection is not enough to determine if the actual rifled portion is a liner. I will be calling Colt to see if I can buy a barrel before I destroy the revolver.

The fit and finish is a bit rougher than I expected at the price point. Ruger does a better job with the SP-101 at a lower price point. The Cobra trigger is good, very good even, but the various parts are not well fitted. It appears the shroud on my sample is canted based on the front sight. The grips do not even fit the grip frame at the back of the trigger guard.

This revolver is a tool, and I need to shoot it before I decide what I think.

Site Supporter
    Picked my sample up today. I need to section a barrel to learn more. The shroud/exterior is obviously cast (molded), but my limited visual inspection is not enough to determine if the actual rifled portion is a liner. I will be calling Colt to see if I can buy a barrel before I destroy the revolver.

The fit and finish is a bit rougher than I expected at the price point. Ruger does a better job with the SP-101 at a lower price point. The Cobra trigger is good, very good even, but the various parts are not well fitted. It appears the shroud on my sample is canted based on the front sight. The grips do not even fit the grip frame at the back of the trigger guard.

This revolver is a tool, and I need to shoot it before I decide what I think.
    What's the size like vs a SP-101?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What's the size like vs a SP-101?
    Pretty close in size except I have the older Lett grips on the SP-101 grip frame stud, so the Ruger grip is smaller. The Ruger barrel is 0.19" longer. Weight is identical. Colt has extra round and Ruger is in .357 Magnum. Factory Colt trigger is a LOT better than factory Ruger trigger. Weigand or Morganti Ruger trigger is better than Colt trigger -- for someone like me who has been shooting customized SP-101 models for more than twenty years.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Pretty impressive deal on these things going on right now.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=1832
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List