Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seen at the range

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Dumbass is a little harsh. It looks to me like someone was trying to create their own form of reactive targets which is a fun way to get new shooters and kids into shooting.

I do agree that people need to clean up after themselves.
    I'm a harsh mofo. An iron/cooking pan target that's not even cleaned up is waaaaaay into dumbass territory in my book.

As the guy that ends up cleaning up after others and turning around and driving home when there's unsafe shit happening on the range, fuck that guy.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-24-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

If a frying pan bothers you, the stuff we've used over the years would send you into apoplexy.

We do always clean up after ourselves and take away trash than we bring and no appliances, but anyone using a cast iron frying pan would be rated as a rank amateur
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I'm sure, but if I see that sort of thing on a public range I stay the hell away from the expected trainwreck. Instant way to get labelled on a range.

Perhaps the,
    "Fucker sprayed his bullet with Teflon.
    He was trying to stamp me ''paid in full''.

Frankenheimer in real life???

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I'm sure, but if I see that sort of thing on a public range I stay the hell away from the expected trainwreck. Instant way to get labelled on a range.
    What train wreck? A cast iron frying pan is just another metal target. Brittle and likely to crack on impact, but so what? Balloons are just balloons. Shooting gallery style targets; clay pipes, steel ducks, spinning wheels and so forth, are a tradition that goes back several generations.

As kids, we used spend hours building targets with whatever we had on hand- soda cans, rocks, boxes, clay pigeons, sticks- that we called "Japanese Bunkers" do we could spend the afternoon blowing them apart with our 22s and center fires. Some bunkers needed several good shots from center fire rifle calibers to knock them down. I grew up shooting for fun. I've seen a lot of different types of shooters.

It's gonna more than a frying pan on a string and a bunch of balloons, or whatever, before I give anyone an instant label. If someone labels me for the same, it's their loss. If they don't police up after themselves, or are dangerous or unsafe, that's another story
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-25-2017 at 01:40 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

The train wreck of safety about to be displayed by the shooter. I don't know about you but on ranges up here if there's any household appliances getting set up on string to shoot the person is almost inevitably going to end up being a dumbass and I'm not hanging around for the moron to point loaded guns around at me. I'll come back later and clean up the mess they leave behind.

I don't fuck around on ranges, there's dangerous guns around and I have run across enough complete assholes being unsafe and disrespectful to last a lifetime. Stuff like this on private property is totally fine, but it's sure raising immediate red flags in public, tradition or not.

Call me bitter but I have a pretty damn low opinion of John Q Public on gun ranges. Leaving garbage, throwing shrapnel, breaking the 4 rules, stealing targets, shooting the clubhouse, I hate it. For every safe old fart it seems there's 2 dicks, and it definitely paints my perspective.

A properly designed steel target will be heavy enough such that bullets impact and flatten or splatter and drop and should be placed at a distances great enough and oriented such that the likelihood of shrapnel rebounding back to the shooter or spectators is minimal. Improvised steels are more likely to do bad things like sending deflected bullets in random directions and have no history on which to base the safety of their placement. Another issue is when said targets get knocked down and people keep shooting at them on the ground which can result in bullets skipping off the ground and potentially over backstops or ricocheting in random directions.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    At one range I frequented, years ago, people would being TVs and other odd stuff to shoot. They always left it behind.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    At one range I frequented, years ago, people would being TVs and other odd stuff to shoot. They always left it behind.
    That shit chaps my ass.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That shit chaps my ass.
    Yes. Many a shooting spot has been closed because people treated them like a dump. It's a disgusting habit

User Tag List