Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Eotech

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I kept a grudge list of all the firearms manufacturers that screwed up over the years, I wouldn’t have a thing left to shoot.
    Yeah, I hear ya!!

The list of companies that threaten lawsuits that will “bankrupt your family and destroy your career” against people making $32k a year for speaking the truth about their products is long and distinguished.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 08-14-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

2018 Eotech

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Garand Thumb didn't explain it at all either, so I just wasted 5 minutes of my life clicking though and being forced to watch him chuckle at the word "thot".

Pretty sure it's just a misconception.

I have no idea how diffractive optics would some how change the basic physics of magnification.
    It's not a misconception. I have verified this using my (now sold) EXPS-3 and EOTech 3x magnifier.

The physics of magnification isn’t basic. Collimated light does not behave with constant magnification.

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/EOTech
    "Unlike reflector sights, the holographic weapon sight does not use a reflected reticle system. Instead a representative reticle is recorded in three-dimensional space onto holographic film that is part of the optical viewing window. Like the reflector sight, the holographic sight's reticle uses collimated light and therefore has an aim-point that can move with eye position. This is compensated for by having a holographic image that is set at a finite distance, in this case around 100 yards. The sight's parallax due to eye movement is the size of the optical window at close range and diminishes to zero at the set distance.[5] Since a laser is used as the light source, the aiming reticle can be an infinitely small dot whose perceived size is given by the acuity of the eye. For someone with 20/20 vision, it is about 1 MoA."

Also see:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US.../en?oq=6490060
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-14-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's not a misconception. I have verified this using my (now sold) EXPS-3 and EOTech 3x magnifier.

The physics of magnification isn’t basic. Collimated light does not behave with constant magnification.

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/EOTech
    "Unlike reflector sights, the holographic weapon sight does not use a reflected reticle system. Instead a representative reticle is recorded in three-dimensional space onto holographic film that is part of the optical viewing window. Like the reflector sight, the holographic sight's reticle uses collimated light and therefore has an aim-point that can move with eye position. This is compensated for by having a holographic image that is set at a finite distance, in this case around 100 yards. The sight's parallax due to eye movement is the size of the optical window at close range and diminishes to zero at the set distance.[5] Since a laser is used as the light source, the aiming reticle can be an infinitely small dot whose perceived size is given by the acuity of the eye. For someone with 20/20 vision, it is about 1 MoA."

Also see:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US.../en?oq=6490060
    That's just a trick of perception, as the last part quoted explicitly states. The dot most certainly does actually change in size under magnification. Use a camera, and it should be immediately obvious; even EOTech's own marketing images appears to bear this out.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-14-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Even if they fixed all their issues, I’m not giving a dime to a company that lied about their flaws to LE/Mil about it.

So many entities lie and cheat and steal and harm the public that we literally couldn't boycott them all without living in mud huts. Why harm yourself with virtue signalling when it won't matter one bit to L3?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    That's just a trick of perception. The dot most certainly does actually change in size under magnification. Use a camera, and it should be immediately obvious; even EOTech's own marketing images appears to bear this out.
    Damn those tricks of perception! Now the lasers in my lab don’t work right anymore. [emoji53]

Damn those tricks of perception! Now the lasers in my lab don’t work right anymore. [emoji53]
    If it wasn't a perception issue, why does the 65 MOA ring appear larger and thicker when under a magnifier? Why does the center dot appear larger on EOTech's own marketing images?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Here’s the problem with that, at least for me...SNIP
    I'm not pushing EoTech. I'm still befuddled by some of what folks tried to teach me about holography and temperature variations - so I'm not sure how the thermal drift could ever be "fixed." I'm just reporting what guys who are paid to test optics have told me. And, just in case you're wondering, the Government learned A LOT about testing optics from the last EoTech investigation - and they're applying all those tests to new optics (including the newest EoTech, which my sources are giving a clean bill of health).

Like GJM said, I can't keep a grudge list on firearms/accessories manufacturers, or I'd be carrying a sharp stick...

2018 Eotech

Good question. This gets at the difference between EOTech and conventional RDS and etched reticle optics. The EOTech reticle is composed of dots, each of which does not magnify very much. The angles between the dots do change with magnification. (Because collimators aren’t perfect, there’s always some small amount of dot magnification).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-14-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Take this for what it’s worth. Reports I have gotten are the issues are not eliminated. Even when pointed out for years E/O Tech fans (and I was one) kept going back to “mine is perfect”. Right up till it isn’t. We generally see organizational problems at places that issue a lot of them and are not a sample of one. At this point....go ahead and keep using them. They are the safe cigarette of optics. This comes down to trust. If you believe the company now, spend your dollars and take the ride.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Good question. This gets at the difference between EOTech and conventional RDS and etched reticle optics. The EOTech reticle is composed of dots, each of which does not magnify very much. The angles between the dots do change with magnification. (Because collimators aren’t perfect, there’s always some small amount of dot magnification).
    Why would the dots not magnify with a magnifier? They're just a part of a static hologram. Once the light from the image of the reticle leaves the hologram, it should be susceptible to magnification like any other image.

Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-14-2018 at 11:54 AM.

User Tag List