Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Gonzales-Active Shooter Considerations for Those Who Carry

Jeff Gonzales-Active Shooter Considerations for Those Who Carry

Man, drawing the gun and keeping it hidden behind a leg or something seems like a really bad idea. Just makes you look sketchy to LE.

Wouldn’t it be better to wait to draw until you’ve ID’d the threat and have a clear shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Overall I think he made a lot of good points.

I especially like the emphasis being placed on have the skills, ability, and tools to render first aid in the initial aftermath (when safe enough to do so). That's a "tactic" that's proven it's worth in several recent situations.

And I also agree with getting your family (those in your care) to safety first if at all possible.

I would more than likely stay holstered unless I have to engage. I really don't want to be misidentified by LEO or another CCW carrier and get shot for my troubles...

Just my unsolicited and ever devaluing $0.02 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Man, drawing the gun and keeping it hidden behind a leg or something seems like a really bad idea. Just makes you look sketchy to LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that's a strong plan to get yourself fucking smoked. He's literally advocating for you to perform an action that LE are explicitly trained is the sign of a Bad Guy About To Do Something BadTM
    Last edited by TGS; 10-19-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    When I teach CRASE for CCW folks I try to emphasize that if they don't want to be reasonably (in all senses of the word) shot by first responders and that they need to practice the speed reholster and find a point of cover to maintain a controlling view of the suspect.

Once IA clears me I will have another war story about speed holstering...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 10-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Disclaimer- I don’t kick down doors for a living, wear a uniform (anymore) or clip on a badge before grabbing my wallet and keys.

That said, I’d think the first and only core mission of anyone caught in an “Active Shooter” scenario is to GTFO, period. Save the Die Hard cosplay for Halloween.

The only time IMO someone’s carry gun should come out is if the actor(s) are between the legally armed subject and the exit. Otherwise beat it, get out of the area along with all the rest of the “Condition White sheeple” and leave the situation for the authorities. That YouTube John Mclaine “sheepdog” bull is gonna get someone killed one day, if it hasn’t already.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Similar subject came up elswhere recently, I'll say the same thing.

My drill in that mess is pop smoke, not movement to contact.

His idea of "gun behind the leg" is stupid. Good way to get shot by the good guys, the ones you don't see, or hear, in the heat if the moment.

Like others have said, if scumbag is between me and mine and our exit, it's on like Donkey Kong. Otherwise, break contact.

Too many variables, and I probably won't be wearin' armor that day and time, etc.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    That said, I’d think the first and only core mission of anyone caught in an “Active Shooter” scenario is to GTFO, period. Save the Die Hard cosplay for Halloween.
    I have no issue with someone who decides that is their core mission but it's hardly the only valid choice. Badge or not, I have to do with what I can live with afterward and if I can help I am going to.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I have no issue with someone who decides that is their core mission but it's hardly the only valid choice. Badge or not, I have to do with what I can live with afterward and if I can help I am going to.
    Well said, BBI.

Know thyself.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    A couple thoughts:

1) I like his jacket and pocket square.

2) I'm not a fan of hiding the gun. Others have already mentioned this and I'll just add that if you're holding it behind your back like he demonstrates you have no control over it. You cannot see a gun grab coming and are up shit creek if you need to retain it. What happens when someone grabs your gun and you don't know if they are the bad guy or thinking you are? No. You are wearing a holster for a reason.

3) Saying "good guy" x3 strikes me as a bad idea for a couple of reasons, primarily that it's meaningless. Anyone can yell "good guy" and not actually be the good guy, so don't expect that to deescalate. Talking to the uniformed cop means you aren't listening to the uniformed cop. It is also adding to his cognitive load. STFU until there's no guns pointed at you THEN turn your information light on.

Otherwise, pretty solid info. I always try to note exits, the big trash cans that are cover and concealment, who's around me, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List