Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Straight knives

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    In post #96, I posted a link to Dom Raso explaining why the Dynamis knife was designed the way it was. Watching that video makes me think Dom had some Sayoc training.
    Depending on the time frame everyone in that unit was exposed to Sayoc training.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    My sensei can beat up your sensei. Nothing more.
    My sensei is your sensei!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Assuming good steel and heat treating the point design looks like it would be tough enough.
    I don't know what steel is used in the Rat.

I've handled both the Rat and the Dynamis. Both very well thought out knives with the sheath being the best part. I'm currently carrying a TD Bloodshark and I like it a lot. The Dynamis and Rat are both spendy but considering you are getting a custom blade, a custom sheath worth $75-100 and a nice aluminum trainer all for around $500-600 it is high but not horrible.

I have both the RAT and the Dynamis on my short list. I'm leaning towards the Dynamis as it looks slightly more utilitarian as far as use goes(it doesn't have the extra deep finger grooves like the RAT). I also like the blade steel that Winkler uses in the Dynamis and trust his work as I have had other knives made by him. I have emailed Elmore multiple times asking about the steel in the RAT knife but he has never given me a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Indeed, though many consider the design passé these days, I like American tanto (as opposed by Japanese tanto) tip geometry as they are stout and stand up to contact with hard objects without much drama. Though the Rat looks like an ideal design for sewing machine type attacks, if the tip can’t stand up to a solid rib strike or whatever, then maybe more cost effective solutions should be explored.
    What tanto bladed knives did you test that you liked?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Who makes the Rat again?
    Headhunter Blades at Warrior Talk.

In post #96, I posted a link to Dom Raso explaining why the Dynamis knife was designed the way it was. Watching that video makes me think Dom had some Sayoc training.
    A lot of the stuff he puts out he learned from others. Capitalism and business are great things, no issue with that, but people sometimes forget to give credit for concepts and ideas before making them their own.

What tanto bladed knives did you test that you liked?
    Way back in the day Cold Steel's Recon Tanto was made similarly to it's regular ones, except they weren't polished/finished, just no frills. I've got one I carried for a long time and did all sorts of crazy stuff with that's help up fine. Indeed, I think the fact that the blade has nor been buffed to a stainless finish is why it basically looks the same after all these years. I've also a couple of their San Mai blades from a while back. Their current Recon line does not impress me.

I'm also a fan of Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works for workingman blades. I've got a couple of Ted's tantos that come to too fine a point for my tastes, but have held up well. Some Benchmade folders have held up well for me.

Picked up a Proelia folder with a newfangled multiple grind stout tanto tip. The blade is performing well, though the overall knife is too large to carry as an EDC folder in my estimation. Playing with an Emerson/Kershaw collaborations which has been performing well, though I don't like the thumb stud design it impacts its ease of use. Have an Emerson folder that has held up well over the years, though I gotta run it through the ultrasonic cleaner as pocket lint has gummed it up some.

Have a couple Entrek tantos, the Brute and Survivor if IIRC. They've been described as "sharpened crowbars" and are indeed beasts that live up to hard use. I've found Entrek handles too small for my large hands, but like his no frills design ethos. I doubtless have others that aren't leaping to mind.
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

Headhunter Blades at Warrior Talk.
    $500 for the package with trainer?! Wish I was rich like you guys

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    $500 for the package with trainer?! Wish I was rich like you guys
    I snagged mine during their Memorial Day weekend sale - $300.

User Tag List