Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Question About My M64 Before Shipping it To S&W

Quick Question About My M64 Before Shipping it To S&W

When I bought the revolver, I measure .008” B/C gap. After shooting and cleaning a few times, the gap is now .010-.011, depending on the rotation of the cylinder. S&W sent me a return label, and said they’re running about six weeks out right now. It’s not spitting, but +P loads send a good flame outward from the gap. The CS rep didn’t say that gap was within spec, as is often posted online.
    Thanks for any answer!

Site Supporter
    @FrankB - What's the question?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @FrankB - What's the question?
    Should I be an impatient dope, and keep shooting it, or send it back? 😁😳

I'm not certain the question either, but if it's what constitutes "within spec", .010" is the limit per S&W. Frank, make sure you're holding the cylinder rearward when you measure, and that you measure each charge hole -- it would be odd for shooting and cleaning just a few times to open things up almost .003" unless the measurements were off. If she's shooting true you may want to hold off correcting gap.

What barrel length and dash version is your 64?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Should I be an impatient dope, and keep shooting it, or send it back? 😁😳
    Send it back. You'll be kicking yourself for as long as you own the gun if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Send it back. You'll be kicking yourself for as long as you own the gun if you don't.
    Heading to FedEx now. I really hate to wait for toys. I used to have very high end classical guitars shipped overnight, and that still wasn’t soon enough. 😳

We can hope the SW warranty clerk fixes it.
    Pinnacle charges $130 to set the barrel back for gap correction and recut forcing cone.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm two for two on revolvers coming back from S&W either not fixed or with significant new problems that they didn't have when they went there.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    We can hope the SW warranty clerk fixes it.
    Pinnacle charges $130 to set the barrel back for gap correction and recut forcing cone.
    That's the better answer, I think. Unless the 64 is modern era and new bought and S&W has to ship on their dime and correct it under warranty -- and keep doing so until they get it right -- I'd also send it to Pinnacle or any of the other top revolver shops.

S&W repair isn't what it used to be.

Too, a gap around .010" is no big deal provided it's shooting properly; there's little to gain in narrowing it.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm two for two on revolvers coming back from S&W either not fixed or with significant new problems that they didn't have when they went there.
    Alas, this.

User Tag List