Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago 762 homicides

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I get a lot of practice in the real world and that's not necessarily a good thing. The docs at our local level 1 we get tons of practice. [...]

That is pretty impressive.
    Yup and the practice is the most important thing. Definitely if you want someone to live and you are close enough, go to whichever ACS Level 1 Trauma Center in your city has the most legendary reputation for pulling a Lazarus. It'll ultimately be a roll of the dice (and the odds aren't great) but you want the Do Not Fuck Around In My ER kind like the guy in your story above because it is their split second decision making that saves lives.

Besides I definitely wasn't and wouldn't critique your 1st hand experience, thats what matters most. Just giving you more info to help you make the right decisions It's not the shiny hospitals that do the best work for patients leaking like the Clinton campaign's email accounts ...

I left Chicago almost 16 years ago, ironically just a few years after the numbers were even higher than they were in 2016. We stayed clear of the windows on new years and July 4 because some of the folks in the projects didn't understand about gravity, and as with any big city it wouldn't have been hard to get in trouble wandering around the wrong parts of town and not paying attention, but despite being about as inner city as it's possible to get and often taking the subway home late in the evening, I really observed very little in the way of trouble. I'm still back a couple of times a year to visit family, and there really isn't anyplace on the north side I'd be worried about.

That said, I'm very happy to be gone from there. The Chicago political system, and to a large extent the rest of Illinois, is so dysfunctional... I'd better stop there before I write a book. Whatever issues are going on with law enforcement, it's just a symptom of much bigger problems in city hall and in Springfield. At the city level, I'll put a lot of it on the shift from an oddly functional patronage system under old man Daley in the 50s and 60s, when the average voter was well represented through the precinct captain and the alderman, to the very different dynamic under Richie Daley in the 90s which was all about special interests, campaign contributions, and cronyism. Add the current massive pension shortfalls, and it may take a long time to dig out of the hole even with effective leadership... which, at least from afar, I've seen no sign of.
    Last edited by Salamander; 01-02-2017 at 02:52 AM.

I grew up in the NW suburbs. Left in 91 when I went to college. When I'd visit post college the shit was moving out of the city to the burbs. Haven't been back in 10+ years. Only thing I miss is the food.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    There's some irony in that final number....

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Don't want cops in your community and prefer policing yourselves....you get the prizes that go with that plan.
    There you have it. I was reading an article the other day about the South Bronx, wear violent crime is up and enforcement is down. People in the precinct didn't like proactive policing, but now they want the police to do something. Well, that ship has sailed.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There you have it. I was reading an article the other day about the South Bronx, wear violent crime is up and enforcement is down. People in the precinct didn't like proactive policing, but now they want the police to do something. Well, that ship has sailed.
    "People" and a clueless anti-police mayor's office. There was a fairly lengthy period of time when things were much better in NY crime-wise.

You can't decide to secede from society and its common law and rules when you feel like it and expect to draw benefits from it as well. Fuck that noise.
    Last edited by blues; 01-02-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Three so far in the New Year.

2017 opens with 3 killed, 16 wounded after violent 2016 has its last homicide on New Year's Eve

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...231-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Three so far in the New Year.

2017 opens with 3 killed, 16 wounded after violent 2016 has its last homicide on New Year's Eve

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...231-story.html
    Well, they have records to break this year and they are starting off well. These are not big numbers compared to the 70's and 80's. We have a plenty of ground to cover before that pendulum swings back or rusts in place at the wrong end.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

One should be careful about dictating to Law Enforcement professionals how to do their job, least you get the type of policing you asked for.

And, by the way, how's that working out...?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yup and the practice is the most important thing. Definitely if you want someone to live and you are close enough, go to whichever ACS Level 1 Trauma Center in your city has the most legendary reputation for pulling a Lazarus. It'll ultimately be a roll of the dice (and the odds aren't great) but you want the Do Not Fuck Around In My ER kind like the guy in your story above because it is their split second decision making that saves lives.

Besides I definitely wasn't and wouldn't critique your 1st hand experience, thats what matters most. Just giving you more info to help you make the right decisions It's not the shiny hospitals that do the best work for patients leaking like the Clinton campaign's email accounts ...
    In Chicago, that's either John H. Stroger or Christ Medical Center... Stroger is a direct descendent of Cook County...Which essentially developed the science of trauma care. One of the first ever shock trauma centers developed around the height of the crack wars was the old Cook County hospital...It's still standing in the old Medical district and kinda cool to drive by if you're bored.

Christ is my stomping grounds. We had a patient not long ago who was stabbed in the heart. He lived. Theres some miraculous shit that happens in our STICU regularly. I don't work in our Surgical Trauma ICU, but they see a lot of business lately.

Until University of Chicago opens up their level one trauma on the southside, our ER/STICU and Stroger will stay busy.

User Tag List