Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Selecting competition pistol

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I can recall reading Brian Enos's book on competitive shooting. He mentions the old adage: It's not the bow, it's the Indian. But then follows it up with "but who wants a crappy bow?" Which is one reason to query the top shooters; there's a reason they use what they use, sometimes it's helpful to know why. But while you gather intelligence use that VP9, by all accounts it's a good pistol.
    This is something that matters as well though choice of games mentioned in the OP do provide guidance that might make the Glock a solid choice. Works for lots of really killer shooters.

Almost all the time you hear some dude online rambling about it's the shooter/guitarist/driver/rider/photographer not the gun/gear/car/bike/camera and lens and then you go on to see they have a $5000 pair of STI's, Gibson and Mesa, 911, $30k Panigale, or $20k in glass. Tools matter. The same people parroting "indian not the arrow" won't shoot a match with a Sigma will they? PT1911 instead of an STI? Hell, if we're talking M&P 1.0 in 9mm the gun might not even be capable of an A-zone hit. Sure as shit the gear matters. How much is the trick. Fortunately things balance out to where the G17/34 or VP9 will be just fine.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

If you want to stay with 9 you're best bet is Production in USPSA. The VP would be fine. I used a VP40 for Limited division for a while but that really is a 2011 or fancied up Glock game. Single Stack is fun and you get to make fun of people in the other divisions when you beat them with a 1911. For USPSA unless you're in Production or Carry Optics you really want to be shooting .40 so you can make Major, for 3 Gun 9 seems to be the way... The Glock family seems to be the best bet if you want to jump around to different games while not having to jump to different platforms, or the 1911/2011 if $ isn't an object.

If you want to shoot production just save your money and git gud with the VP9 first. I can guarantee it's not your limiting factor unless you are somewhere in GM class looking for tiny improvements.

If you absolutely need a new production pistol get a Glock, CZ, Tanfo, etc if you desire what's most popular (for good reason, they work).

If you want to shoot limited go shoot some STIs and whatnot and buy one of those.

But most of all, if you have to ask the "which gun?" question you need to shoot more and shop around less. Experience will tell you exactly what you need.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Most of the factory HK shooters have been shooting VP9's. I think that's a pretty good indication that they will work just fine for whatever you want to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    I do go wtih the ejector blocks with the overtravel stop.
    What are those?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

If you want to get a new gun, by all means do so. I like getting new guns myself, and do so from time to time. However, if you're looking to be more competitive by going from a VP9 to either the Glock or the STI, you are barking up the wrong tree. Pick one (my preference for the VP9 is probably fairly clear) and get good with it. Your VP9 is perfectly competitive for your intended purposes, but if you feel more inspired by the other options, by all means go there. Do understand that if you want to be good, you would probably be best served by committing to one pistol for a while, whichever you choose.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    What are those?
    https://www.shootersconnectionstore....TOP-P2509.aspx
    A71593

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    If you want to get a new gun, by all means do so. I like getting new guns myself, and do so from time to time. However, if you're looking to be more competitive by going from a VP9 to either the Glock or the STI, you are barking up the wrong tree. Pick one (my preference for the VP9 is probably fairly clear) and get good with it. Your VP9 is perfectly competitive for your intended purposes, but if you feel more inspired by the other options, by all means go there. Do understand that if you want to be good, you would probably be best served by committing to one pistol for a while, whichever you choose.
    I think the biggest motivation to get the Glock would be if the OP decides he really likes USPSA and wants to make the move into limited. The Glock 35 will give you a lot more aftermarket options for mag extensions, magwells, etc, and then a Glock 34 could be bought to use the same holsters/support gear and stay competitive in production too.

Otherwise I agree I don't think buying a new FS 9mm will yield any substantial improvements until you're ready to break into A class.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-30-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If you want to shoot production just save your money and git gud with the VP9 first. I can guarantee it's not your limiting factor unless you are somewhere in GM class looking for tiny improvements.

If you absolutely need a new production pistol get a Glock, CZ, Tanfo, etc if you desire what's most popular (for good reason, they work).

If you want to shoot limited go shoot some STIs and whatnot and buy one of those.

But most of all, if you have to ask the "which gun?" question you need to shoot more and shop around less. Experience will tell you exactly what you need.
    Just because you can use a VP9 to win doesn't mean it is the best option. How many GM's shoot HK's? On the other hand, how many shoot Glocks and CZ/Tanfos? The dumbest things I see about the VP9 are the paddle release and the size being somewhat compact somewhat fullsize versus a G34 which gives you a good bit more sight radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think the biggest motivation to get the Glock would be if the OP decides he really likes USPSA and wants to make the move into limited. The Glock 35 will give you a lot more aftermarket options for mag extensions, magwells, etc, and then a Glock 34 could be bought to use the same holsters/support gear and stay competitive in production too.

Otherwise I agree I don't think buying a new FS 9mm will yield any substantial improvements until you're ready to break into A class.
    I think limited is much more amenable to guns other than the 40 Glocks. If I was to do it from the OP's perspective and had any interest in ever running an optic I would get a G34/17 MOS or a Sig RX/X5 then use them in both production and CO.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    If you want to stay with 9 you're best bet is Production in USPSA. The VP would be fine. I used a VP40 for Limited division for a while but that really is a 2011 or fancied up Glock game. Single Stack is fun and you get to make fun of people in the other divisions when you beat them with a 1911. For USPSA unless you're in Production or Carry Optics you really want to be shooting .40 so you can make Major, for 3 Gun 9 seems to be the way... The Glock family seems to be the best bet if you want to jump around to different games while not having to jump to different platforms, or the 1911/2011 if $ isn't an object.
    I would add that 45 is competitive in single stack/classic as well

Pro tip: they can win with anything you put in their hands be it HK, Tanfo, CZ, Glock. It literally does not matter. DA metal guns is not a classic tradition, it is a rather recent thing you can thank people like Stoeger for.

Unless you're already a high end GM (in which case you wouldn't be asking questions) the gun you use has maybe a 1% effect on your skill when you compare it to how often and how quality your training is.

It's your money and you can buy whatever makes you feel great inside, and that's fine, but if I were in your shoes I'd think it'd be a big waste of money.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List