Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, are they still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    ...are revolvers still relevant?
    Paging Jerry Miculek...

Define "relevant."

Remember, "the best self-defense gun is the one you have with you."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    For use as a duty or primary carry weapon? Not really.

But above and below the service pistol job, when you get into BUGs or large frame magnum revolvers, IMHO the wheelgun does a better job than semi auto pistols you might use for those same jobs.

I have never found a .380 or pocket 9mm as reliable as a J frame, and guns like the Desert Eagle are basically a bad joke compared to a N frame S&W.
    ^^This stuff.

That said, if someone used a magic disappear-o-ray on all my self-loaders, I'd shrug, load up a Smith roundgun, and carry on.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ^^This stuff.

That said, if someone used a magic disappear-o-ray on all my self-loaders, I'd shrug, load up a Smith roundgun, and carry on.
    Yeah, it wouldn't be the end of the world if ALL I had was my 681 and 642.

I think the esteemed gentleman above me pretty much ended the "pre-derail" portion of the thread, but that obviously doesn't stop things around here, so... they're definitely relevant for me. Wheelies outnumber autos in my safe for sure.
    That said, I took a class (terminal ballistics: autopsy reports, shooting car doors, glass and hoods, etc) today and took the old 9mm along, despite my deep love of S&W wheel guns. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    For use as a duty or primary carry weapon? Not really.

But above and below the service pistol job, when you get into BUGs or large frame magnum revolvers, IMHO the wheelgun does a better job than semi auto pistols you might use for those same jobs.

I have never found a .380 or pocket 9mm as reliable as a J frame, and guns like the Desert Eagle are basically a bad joke compared to a N frame S&W.
    I agree and well stated. My grandfather has had the same S&W model 10 in his night stand for longer than I've been alive, probably the same ammo as well, but I am willing to bet its more than relevant for its intended use. Try getting an 88 year old retired SGM to the range with a pistol he only looks at to clean/oil once a year. Not going to happen.

My 65year old mom keeps a S&W 686 (was my dads) loaded in her bedroom. It was that or a shotgun, as she was not going to the range and not going to properly maintain it.

In both situations I think revolvers are very good options and more than relevant.

I find it interesting (academically, anyway, as I have no interest in caliber arguments) that most of the discussions like this just assume 9mm is equivalent to all other handgun rounds. Not weighing in on that one way or the other, just observing.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    I find it interesting (academically, anyway, as I have no interest in caliber arguments) that most of the discussions like this just assume 9mm is equivalent to all other handgun rounds. Not weighing in on that one way or the other, just observing.
    Wow. Passive-aggressive much?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Wow. Passive-aggressive much?
    Not really. More condescending, arrogant ass.

With just a touch of elitism.

They aren't as relevant now as they used to be. However they are very relevant now in IDPA, where it's a bunch of fun to beat up on the auto loaders.

I would rather carry a Glock, but if I had to carry only a revolver, I would holster my Model 10, encircle my waist with speed loaders and feel pretty safe. I would be in the market for a K-Frame 357 though. I'd probably have a J-Frame or two somewhere about my person also.

If I had to carry a K, I'd carry my 547 just to tweak 1911guy.

User Tag List