Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, how many guns are "enough"?

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Yes, generally.
    Yes, I would mostly agree with this. There are some exceptions, however. Certain types of holsters will allow it, but it's best to be careful with those, because some of the designs are simply not safe. During the winter and fall months, I have several coats and jackets with pockets large enough not only for me to store my BUG, but also safely remove it from the holster inside the pocket as well.
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

When pocket carrying the 642 it rides in a Nemesis and I just need to get the gun out enough to get my finger on the trigger and then fire, not necessarily clearing the holster 100%. When I carry this way it's in a weak side pocket.

~Matt
    www.volundgearworks.com

We are diminished
    For those who are advocating shooting the gun before it clears the pocket: How much live fire practice do you have using this technique that you're confident where the bullet will land, how the recoil will feel and/or affect you in that position, etc.?

Is it true if one is good then more is better?

OrigamiAK, this thread is pertinent to your initial question. Enjoy.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...-BUG-questions
    "Keep your powder dry and your hatchet scoured."

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    For those who are advocating shooting the gun before it clears the pocket: How much live fire practice do you have using this technique that you're confident where the bullet will land, how the recoil will feel and/or affect you in that position, etc.?
    It sucks. I would only think about doing it if a threat was literally on top of me. While I have yet to shoot right from inside a pocket, (might grab an old barn coat or something from goodwill to destroy,) I have shot the snubby from a tight retention stance, butt of the gun basically in my ribs, into a target less than an arms length away while protecting my head with my other arm. Cooked my shirt and arm a bit, felt a LOT of blast in my face and recoil was uncomfortably snappy as usual (+P carry ammo) from the little flame thrower. Hits were low COM on a full size target.
    I would only think about doing this with my 642.

~Matt
    www.volundgearworks.com

In a Massad Ayoob mini class at the snubbie summit a few years ago where we were instructed to bring an old jacket or two to fire the snubbie out of a jacket pocket.

It was also clear that this was an extreme close range technique for when an attacker was right on top of you.

Of course, jacket pockets are different than pants pockets in that you have more flexibility of movement to point and orient the gun. I don't see typical pants pockets as providing the flexibility to angle the gun to shoot anything unless someone was biting you on the leg or something.

Frankly, even then I would be afraid of shooting myself in the leg or something if I were to shoot a revolver off in my pocket in the middle of a struggle.
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.

How much live fire practice do you have using this technique that you're confident where the bullet will land, how the recoil will feel and/or affect you in that position, etc.?
    I've done it. Burned up a cheap sports jacket*. You have to really torque the J frame upwards as the jacket pockets tend to direct the muzzle down. I don't carry that way at all. If I did, I'd consider it a grappling technique, I.E., when someone is executing a front choke hold and you need to get something going to change the fight dynamics.

* Literally set the coat on fire.

We are diminished
    Thank you for those responses, guys. The lesson learned from your examples, hopefully, is that "I can shoot from inside the pocket" isn't as simple as it sounds.

Thank you for those responses, guys. The lesson learned from your examples, hopefully, is that "I can shoot from inside the pocket" isn't as simple as it sounds.
    And the conventional wisdom that the pocket gun must be in a pocket holster just complicates the matter further (the shooting FROM the pocket). It's a great BUG plan for plenty of applications no doubt. Not being LEO nor being stuck in buttoned up big coats in northern winters much, I've not found a lot of applilcation for them myself. And I'm NOT meaning to disparage or discourage the practice.

Funny, back in the day I actually used to engage Gunkid in argument without name calling; a fair amount of it arguing his speed of hits from the pocket was BS if his draw started from OUTSIDE the pocket.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I don't think anyone ever implied that it was. The J-frame is already a limited-use, niche item. Shooting from inside a pocket is an even narrower niche, but it has its place in the toolkit. I have no illusions that I could magically X-ring someone between the eyes from inside my pocket at 25 yards. But blasting through a coat pocket at bad breath range is at least feasible, and if it's the only option, so be it. I do need to get some more cheap Goodwill jackets to practice more, though.

User Tag List