Page 263 of 308 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 3074

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    On a pro? What about the Range Officers, etc?
    The ejector on my non-Pro Operator is pinned as well.

Site Supporter
    Name:  Operator.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  59.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    On a pro? What about the Range Officers, etc?
    My recently purchased Ronin Commander has a pinned ejector.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Time to switch back to "Bear Loads". 250 grain hard casts as 925 FPS.
    Do you mind sharing which bullet that is? I'm looking at molds. Lee makes a 250grrn-fp that looks like it has a crimp grove so I could also use it in .45 colts.

452-255-RF .45 cal. 45 colt. 90349 is the model number.

Classed up CZ1911A1

I've had this one for seven years. I wasn't looking for another 1911, but the quality/price ratio was great, so I couldn't pass it up. I put a few hundred rounds through it and stuck it in the safe and there it remained until recently. I'd gotten bored and needed a project and it was too nice a pistol to go to waste. So, I decided to enhance its shootability without going overboard. I wanted the look of a vintage, mid-20th century custom job.

To start, I replaced the rear sight with a retro Yost-Bonitz style unit, currently manufactured by John Harrison of Harrison Custom. I wanted a gold bead on the front sight, as it's classic. It's also still one of my favorite front sights. After one failed attempt to find a sight with the proper dovetail, I sent the original sight off to John and had him install a gold bead.

I had an old unused Wilson Combat thumb safety knocking around my parts box, so on it went. The color doesn't match the rest of the gun and it's actually gone a bit plumb in color. To all of us oldsters, that looks vintage too.😉 the pistol is very nicely finished overall. The only part showing any finishing errors was the slide stop, which exhibited a few machining marks on its surface. Every time I picked the pistol up my eye was drawn to it, so the original was replaced with an Ed Brown part.

I wanted to install an arched mainspring housing with a lanyard loop, to enhance the vintage look. I didn't have one in the eight or ten housings on hand that mated up well with the frame. In the end I went with a flat, checkered Wilson housing that matched the frame as if it was made for it. My hand prefers flat anyway.

Finally, I added grips from Wood Caliber, made from English Walnut, with ebony inlays. I was going for vintage understated, utilitarian class if you will. I think I succeeded. Shoots pretty well too.

Name:  20220429_182304.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  99.2 KB
    Name:  20220429_182103.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  51.5 KB
    Name:  20220429_182243.jpg
Views: 592
    Name:  20220429_182210.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  50.4 KB
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-29-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

@Trooper224 I can dig it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    @Trooper224 I can dig it.
    Name:  f9f65c11c9117a3154fb223c10112b90.jpeg
Views: 547
Size:  27.9 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've had this one for seven years. I wasn't looking for another 1911, but the quality/price ratio was great, so I couldn't pass it up. I put a few hundred rounds through it and stuck it in the safe and there it remained until recently. I'd gotten bored and needed a project and it was too nice a pistol to go to waste. So, I decided to enhance its shootability without going overboard. I wanted the look of a vintage, mid-20th century custom job.

To start, I replaced the rear sight with a retro Yost-Bonitz style unit, currently manufactured by John Harrison of Harrison Custom. I wanted a gold bead on the front sight, as it's classic. It's also still one of my favorite front sights. After one failed attempt to find a sight with the proper dovetail, I sent the original sight off to John and had him install a gold bead.

I had an old unused Wilson Combat thumb safety knocking around my parts box, so on it went. The color doesn't match the rest of the gun and it's actually gone a bit plumb in color. To all of us oldsters, that looks vintage too.😉 the pistol is very nicely finished overall. The only part showing any finishing errors was the slide stop, which exhibited a few machining marks on its surface. Every time I picked the pistol up my eye was drawn to it, so the original was replaced with an Ed Brown part.

I wanted to install an arched mainspring housing with a lanyard loop, to enhance the vintage look. I didn't have one in the eight or ten housings on hand that mated up well with the frame. In the end I went with a flat, checkered Wilson housing that matched the frame as if it was made for it. My hand prefers flat anyway.

Finally, I added grips from Wood Caliber, made from English Walnut, with ebony inlays. I was going for vintage understated, utilitarian class if you will. I think I succeeded. Shoots pretty well too.

Name:  20220429_182304.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  99.2 KB
    Name:  20220429_182103.jpg
Views: 602
    Name:  20220429_182243.jpg
Views: 592
    Name:  20220429_182210.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  50.4 KB
    Very well done indeed. Very classic pistol there, Troop.
    IMO, the lanyard loop would have detracted from the look you were trying to achieve. I think you nailed it!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Do you mind sharing which bullet that is? I'm looking at molds. Lee makes a 250grrn-fp that looks like it has a crimp grove so I could also use it in .45 colts.

452-255-RF .45 cal. 45 colt. 90349 is the model number.

@O3RN

That is the Rim Rock 250 RNFP.

A traditional, happily married couple.

User Tag List