Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on SIRT

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Anything better? Looking for the laser and the reset, because, practice.

Any place better to buy than another? Any place to look for a used version (G17 iteration)?

Thanks in advance.

Mods, feel free to move this if M&T isn’t the best fit.
    As discussed there are better things for pure dry fire.

The SIRT's biggest strength is it is not a gun so as @JHC noted you can take it at least some places you can't take a real gun (even if neutered).

I recall @Mr Pink has talked about taking a SIRT to a location he couldn't have a real gun and getting good results.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I've been considering the Coolfire thing since discovering it last year, especially since I am already a sodastream addict and always have sodastream canisters on deck.

Do you consider the laser to be worthwhile? I was considering just buying the basic laser-less system just because it resets the trigger by cycling the action, unlike dryfire triggers.
    In my opinion - yes. However, I also went for a re-burbished dedicated laptop to put LASR Classic and their advanced camera on for the recoil system. For me, that makes a difference.

I was/am actually toying with getting an IR laser, but at the present my funding is tied up for a Bob Marvel build class and a rebuild of my Street Glide engine.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I consider myself a little bit of a dry fire efficiency and training SME so I'll just put an alternate point of view here in that context.

In practice I either want the same recoil as live fire or NONE AT ALL.

Dry fire for me is a place to divest the mechanics from the recoil so when I dry fire I don't want recoil of any sort
    blah blah deleted everything else to save band width.

I get what you are saying, don't necessarily agree for my purposes. But I don't know, on the one hand a whole bunch of major leaguers practice off hitting tees, but on the other hand, when they take batting practice they aren't getting a 98mph fast ball from the coach, so like I said, IDK, seems they get by with 'less recoil speed'

I like the process of shooting, always have, it's fun to me, and has a practical aspect. I know that too much zealotry would lessen the enjoyment that I get from shooting. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of yours, but not nearly as zealous about the splits, etc.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    In my opinion - yes. However, I also went for a re-burbished dedicated laptop to put LASR Classic and their advanced camera on for the recoil system. For me, that makes a difference.

I was/am actually toying with getting an IR laser, but at the present my funding is tied up for a Bob Marvel build class and a rebuild of my Street Glide engine.
    What is that? I was just going to get the IR version along with the targets intended for it, if I did go for the laser version. I don't want the distraction of a visible laser dot.

My two cents: I love the SIRT “pistol” as it is a great instructional aid. For live fire skill building, it’s not as useful. The only advantage it is is multiple trigger presses but without recoil. I get much of the same effect with a laser cartridge in my carry gun. The only real advantage is that the SIRT can’t fire live cartridges.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

The SIRT has three massive advantages:

1) nothing works better than to illustrate to new students how easy it is to miss at contact range. If I never hear the moronic phrase "at contact range, you can't miss", I will be a happy man. People who have not done the work dopn't realize how it is easier to miss at contact and near contact range against a resisting opponent because you can't use the sights to confirm alignment, and if you don't have a physical index you just don't know. The best way to bring that home is to show folks with the SIRT laser that missing is easy.

2) nothing is better at building the ability to shoot from retention or a high compressed position. You can do it live fire IF you have a range that lets you AND the time and money to drop on shooting a lot. You can do it with airsoft, but you need a place to shoot with a pellet catch and enough room. With the SIRT, I can literally work those skills anywhere and anytime with no prep other than having the tool.

3) for entangled fighting practice, it still gives you feedback that you are doing what you should be doing without having to put on tons of uncomfortable and restrictive pretiective equipment.

If you are not an instructor, than #1 is meaningless, and if you are one of those that think you will never be entangled than #2 and #3 are useless. If you are only interested in ranged firing, than airsoft, a Coolfire or Mantis, or just live fire is the way to go.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I invested in the MantisX10 and Mantis Pink Rhino laser cartridges* for dryfire training with my pistols during the shutdown.

I get more training value from the laser cartridges than the Mantis X10. Seeing the laser blink on the target, in real time, (while focused on the front sight, BTW) has far less ambiguity than the accelerometer traces on the Mantis app. A Pink Rhino laser cartridge costs about $40.

I also got a generic 9mm laser boresight cartridge (~$20 on Amazon), in which the laser is constantly on. I found the laser boresight cartridge to be really helpful with practice on working the trigger without moving the pistol. When doing this kind of training I focus on the laser dot projected on the target instead of the sights on my pistol. I work the trigger and observe the movement of the laser dot.

*I got the Mantis Laser Academy kit but over time I just started using the laser cartridges and my own custom target, a 4" gray bullseye with a 1" white X-ring, based on Matt Burkett's center focus target from his 1995 book "Practical Shooting Manual".

https://mantisx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    2) nothing is better at building the ability to shoot from retention or a high compressed position.
    I think that’s equally applicable to any resetting trigger plus laser bullet though, not just SIRT.

Revolvers are a tool that I really like for that as well.

Sure it takes 5 (or six) laser bullets but it’s the firearm I like from pockets.

Name:  26477563-08E8-4736-A599-6A2E4DB6ED69.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  54E37BCB-1659-4092-8DF9-EEC78E061B53.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  50.8 KB

[QUOTE=JCN;1321592]I think that’s equally applicable to any resetting trigger plus laser bullet though, not just SIRT.

Revolvers are a tool that I really like for that as well.

Sure it takes 5 (or six) laser bullets but it’s the firearm I like from pockets.

/QUOTE]

sure, but you can't do #1 or #3 with that set up. I prefer to use a tool that allows multi functions. YMMV
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    sure, but you can't do #1 or #3 with that set up. I prefer to use a tool that allows multi functions. YMMV
    Sorry I’m being obtuse?

Why can’t you do #1 or #3 with that set up?

Are you saying it’s because they want to train with semi-autos instead of revolvers?

A lot of people pocket revolvers and for those that do, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for #1 and #3 as well?

User Tag List