Page 9 of 115 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland Florida School Shooting

Site Supporter
    About the publicity - criminologists, psychologists, law enforcement, etc. have been saying this for quite a while. The memorials, heart wrenching interviews with survivors and those who lost loved ones, films of the chaos all serve as:

1. Observational learning of how to pull this off. We know these folks study past shootings and fixate on VT and Columbine for instance.
    2. Vicarious reinforcement for their psyche. Imaging the outcome lights up your reward systems as the real event does.

So, I hear that President Trump has been informed, Senator Rubio is monitoring the situation (in the Rubio Cave, so what!). What is does say, is that no one gives a crap about me and I'm going to show them. And guess what the President of the USA will know my name, what I did and why! I'm a big deal now.

However, the current media blitz won't change.

As a related issue, the current Chronicle of Higher Education has discussed suicides on campus (not shooter/suicide) and the experts made the point: NO BIG SCHOOL MEMORIALS. Guess why - same idea.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Go turn on the news right now..The screaming for gun control from the left has already started.
    Point; missed.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Mmmhmmm.

The majority of P-F.com members are not LE, yet there seems to be a desire to restrict anyone who isn't LE from CCW'ing in a school.

I don't get it. P-F.com members are essentially arguing they themselves should not have the capability to carry in a school, even though the same peoples' sole existence on the internet is to bitch and moan about muh'rights.
    This place gets really "funny" sometimes when these topics flare up. I tend to avoid them as rolling my eyes hurts after a while.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Just to clarify my comments above, Jody, in case I'm included in your assessment...
    I actually had no one in particular, or even any particular post in mind when I posted.
    I just saw a meme or stereotype if you will of who is the "average concealed carrier" developing in this thread that as a CCW instructor for over 15 years now I just don't see in real life.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-15-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    The gun control debate is dishonest. There would only be two solutions:

1. Bans and intensive confiscations of all but ducky-wucky shotguns that are kept at the gun club.
    2. Involuntary commitment of anyone uttering bizarre and/or violent statements.

Let that be proposed and see how it plays. It's different from no pistol grips and threaded barrels as protecting us from rampages. Go for it full bore. It's not that experts on the issue don't know that the standard gun control proposals have no effect.

Not my position, for those who haven't figured that out.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 02-15-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    This place gets really "funny" sometimes when these topics flare up. I tend to avoid them as rolling my eyes hurts after a while.
    Me too. Personally, I find it hard to generalize this place. Kind of like herding cats.
    #RESIST

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Are we stooping to this level now? So what? Both of your statements are correct, how does that make either of them right? It doesn't. Your comment reads like "I know you are but what am I?", and is beneath you, and PF for that matter.

Our system is horrifically and shamefully broken, and while I won't even begin to claim I have any answers, I can assure you the answer is not making sure the "other side" knows they're just as fucked up as "my side", so let's do nothing.
    You've missed the point. It's really hard for me to understand the level of umbrage over the gunbanners in the Left seeking to capitalize on this when I see the islamophobes on the right, all the way up to Trump, doing the exact same thing every time some guy with an Arabic-soundling last name kills somebody.

Bleating about "oh, look how evil the liberals are" is pointless and hypocritical AF. And yet, it's *my* throat that gets jumped down for pointing that out?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    My theory is a lack of father's in the home.
    Yep^^^^^
    So where are the parents in all of this?
    And where did D-Bag (cause I ain't saying the Fucker's name) get get the rifle and the rest of his gear?

Expelled, and then let back in for some "special" program?
    Not allowed on campus with a backpack? Better just not allowed on campus, period.

It appears almost everyone knew this kid was bent/broken.
    Lot of people got some "splaining to do"

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    News outlets should be banned from revealing a charged mass shooter's identity. Publicity fuels the fire to surpass the everyday anonymity that comes with being a loser but these types of events are viewer lightning rods so the media won't let their morals get in their way. The law will have to force their hand. Even if this information is divulged on social media, users won't have a monetary incentive to spread it. How many widespread social media posts about shootings are linked to news sites vs. not linked to news sites? No face and no name = no fame.
    I'd go further and say they shouldn't be allowed to be covered with video for 10 days. I'd be willing to bet that there were 50 to 60 satellite trucks down there last night and probably up to 100 today. The question of "what's changed?" in our society is easily answered. The media's ability to almost instantly broadcast all over the world has introduced a complete new dynamic into society. If you want to cut down on these things, quit putting them front and center 24/7 to inspire other like minded nutjobs. It just ain't that hard to understand, but it doesn't sell advertising...

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Passing more "feel good" laws dosen't help either.Bottom line here, the gov't can't help..once again the "gun free zone" signs, didn't do their job. What's the answer?
    Regulating how or how much the media covers these types of events definitely could help, I just don't know how that would fit within the 1A rights.

User Tag List