Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Beretta M9

Talk me out of a Beretta M9

I’ve always liked the 92 series guns I’ve shot, but I’ve never owned one. It would be strictly a recreational pistol, I don’t see myself ever carrying one. Today at the gun show I handled one for the first time in a few years and remembered why I liked them.

Is there any downside to an M9 over any other 92 variant? What about advantages between the various M9s - M9, M9A1, M9A3?

My initial thinking is the M9A1 would be my sweet spot due to the front and backstrap checkering and traditional gripframe shape.

Do I need this? No. Would I enjoy it? I’m thinking yes.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    If it’s just for fun get whatever you want, but I think the new 92x line has some legit upgrades over a stock 92. Namely, it comes with a vertec slide and nice removable sights, comes standard as G model, comes standard with the D hammer spring, and IMO has better grip texture than a standard 92. Since it’s a vertec gun, it’s got a flat mainspring housing but the wraparound grips that come with it mimic the hump pretty well.

The M9A1 is a great gun though, and so is the standard 92 for that matter.

I would only buy the M9 if you have some kind of sentimental attachment to it from military service. Pretty much every other 92 variant is better. The M9 lacks the radius under the beaver tail and the military versions are stuck with the gen1 locking blocks. I don’t know how accurately the commercial variants clone the military models with regards to the locking block but the current gen3 locking block that comes in every other 92 available is orders of magnitude more durable. If you just want a traditional looking 92, I’d get a 92FS instead. You’d get the radius under the beaver tail (may or may not be important depending on your hand size) and the updated locking block. The M9A1has both of these features as well as checkering and a light rail if that’s important to you. The M9A3 has all of the above plus a removable front sight and uses the Vertec frame. The LTT Elite 92s are probably the best guns Beretta ever made but that’s a lot of coin unless you’re a 92 enthusiast. If you just want one to have in the collection, I vote either a regular 92FS or M9A1 if you want the traditional frame, or the 92X if you want the Vertec frame.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Oh man as a fun gun I would strongly suggest a 92x or (if you wanna drop the coin) a 92x performance.

Otherwise, a 92X is great for all reasons listed above. I am quite happy with my 92x compact.

If there's an LTT92 to be had, I'd just immediately jump on that. Those guns are just dope.

Outside of a 1911, my LTT 92G is one of my favorite pistols to shoot.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Agree with the others - unless you have a nostalgic tie to the M9 from military service, I'd recommend one of the newer variants. They will have better sights (the 92X and M9A3 incorporate a front sight dovetail), likely will have a better out of the box trigger (they'll come with D springs from the factory, though that's a cheap and easy user upgrade), and an accessory rail (if that matters to you).

The LTT92 is a terrific pistol, with some nice comfort enhancements to the frame (noticeable in a high round count class), and the opportunity to purchase with an LTT trigger job included.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    What is holster fit like 92FS vs M9A1/92x with rail (no light attached)?

Also, I’ve read mixed reviews about the ALS with the 92 series.

I’m a huge Beretta fan but unless there’s some nostalgia associated with an m9 for you, I’d suggest something a little newer like an M9a3 or at least something with a front sight you can change. Whatever you buy, id look for an Italian-made example or at least an older USA made Beretta. Steer clear of anything made in Tennessee unless you can lay eyes and hands on it first.

Unless you REALLY want an M9 specifically, your real choices should boil down to two options.

1.) If it’s just for fun and you don’t want to spend a lot of coin, just get a 92FS.

2.) Your only other real option should be the Elite LTT UNLESS you either A) want something with a Brigadier slide or B) are serious about competing with it and you want a Brigadier slide.

If yes to Brig, but no on competing, get a Brig Tac from Wilson. If yes to Brig and competing, 92X Performance. I’ve never shot any Brig slide 92s so I don’t know what that’s like.

All other 92X variants as well as M9A3s have been discontinued.

I find the Brig slides to be needlessly heavy for defensive use. It may have some advantages for higher levels of shooting but quite honestly I would prefer a standard 92 slide. The couple times I had to shoot a 92FS for work, much prefer the lighter slide when it came to presentations and it tracked just fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I find the Brig slides to be needlessly heavy for defensive use. It may have some advantages for higher levels of shooting but quite honestly I would prefer a standard 92 slide. The couple times I had to shoot a 92FS for work, much prefer the lighter slide when it came to presentations and it tracked just fine.
    The brigadier slide was Beretta’s attempt to add weight / mass to the 92/96 series to adapt it to .40 cal.

In my experience, it was unsuccessful in making the guns more durable and 40 and in 9mm I prefer to go the other way with the lighter Vertec slide.

User Tag List