Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Handgun: Small 9mm Auto or 642 Airweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    That's what makes the shrouded hammer J frame so perfect for the pocket. It allows one, with the proper pants and holster combo, the ability to have a full firing grip while remaining concealed from view. While it is not as efficient in other roles, it really does excel in the pocket. I tried the G43 from the pocket. The J frame was more reliable every time.
    The non-telegraphed sub second center hit at conversational range is probably the most concentrated dose of surprise violence short of a Claymore initiated ambush.

If that doesn't rest his OODA loop you probably need to go for headbone.

And for the love of God, guys need to stop buying J-frames for their wife/girlfriend on the belief the are the perfect women's gun, they are not nor are they a beginner's gun, they are a professional's gun and require high level of dedication to employ them effectively. Yes, they are easy to conceal and carry but with their long, heavy trigger pull, short sight radius, diminutive grip and heavy recoil they are simple not an easy gun to shoot well and many women and beginning shootings will be turned off by this fact. The 442 in my pocket sat a woman's sock drawer for 30 years with only five rounds thru it. Her old man got for her, she shot it once and that was it, she was done with it. I just shake my head when I see those gun counter guys talking them up to some poor woman out buying her first gun, apparently because women are too stupid to use a semi-auto pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    The non-telegraphed sub second center hit at conversational range is probably the most concentrated dose of surprise violence short of a Claymore initiated ambush.

If that doesn't reset his OODA loop you probably need to go for headbone.

My God, that was simply beautiful to read. I really didn't know you had that in you. (Preserved for posterity.)

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

@TCinVA has a really good point. I will see how the 365 functions with a compromised grip.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    And for the love of God, guys need to stop buying J-frames for their wife/girlfriend on the belief the are the perfect women's gun, they are not nor are they a beginner's gun, they are a professional's gun and require high level of dedication to employ them effectively. Yes, they are easy to conceal and carry but with their long, heavy trigger pull, short sight radius, diminutive grip and heavy recoil they are simple not an easy gun to shoot well and many women and beginning shootings will be turned off by this fact. The 442 in my pocket sat a woman's sock drawer for 30 years with only five rounds thru it. Her old man got for her, she shot it once and that was it, she was done with it. I just shake my head when I see those gun counter guys talking them up to some poor woman out buying her first gun, apparently because women are too stupid to use a semi-auto pistol.
    Totally disagree because the context of many women's carry gun is to literally peel a cretin off of them and entangled fights are probably more common for them than for mano a mano. A 5, 7, or 8 shot snub is just too easy to always have, always employ cleanly and center hit a target out to 5 yards. I've yet to find the less than hobbiest enthusiast female who wanted to be armed that gave a single F'k about stopping a food court shooter at 25 plus yards.

re caliber Claude, DB, D-Con training have all made the case for sub caliber snubbies better than I can. Those are a way, not the only way.

Only 1 out of 5 non-hobbyist females I've seen couldn't work a J frame very well in that context. The one outlier went to somewhere else and chose a .32 Keltec that was sort of reliable most of the time. Great.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My God, that was simply beautiful to read. I really didn't know you had that in you. (Preserved for posterity.)

Stop it!
    I'm blushing.

Site Supporter
    Late to the party.

I do not pocket carry much...but when I do... it is with a 642. Please know that I have not done the work with my stock 642 such that for me -it really is a 3-5 yrd kind of gun if I am running it at any speed.

IMHO--Feudist and Chuck H are dropping some Tactical Platinum in this realm.

If I missed this argument for the 642, I apologize- based on some limited Tuesday night training way back in the day (Thank you Goodwill) you can more reliably fire a 642 from inside the pocket that you can any semi auto. Particularly a subsequent shot.

Historically, the 642 has always been a niche gun for me
    a. pocket carry
    b. ankle backup
    c. pocket carry backup
    d. Xmas party and SWMBO wants me to wear the new tight sweater such that even AIWB with anything bigger is not optimum.

Otherwise I am firmly in the wear a quality belt mated to a quality holster and carry a G19 sized gun camp.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Here's my choice...

Name:  642 aholster 2.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  642 aholster.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  34.5 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    This is a sample of one but my G42, when empty does not drop the mag. It has to be pulled out. That negates some of 'reloading speed' advantage of the little semi. I totally understand all the arguments about needing a reload given the average vs. extreme incident. My G42 was one of the horror show first ones and had to go back to Glock. Thus, I'm always leery of it just a bit.

I'm coming down on the Js for my everyday shorts and pants.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

If that doesn't rest his OODA loop you probably need to go for headbone.
    Center punching the headbone at that distance is really doable right out of the pocket.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List