Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Handgun: Small 9mm Auto or 642 Airweight?

I'm no fan of revolvers. Comparatively low capacity (needed or not) a heavier trigger and more felt recoil than a pistol of similar power (38 snub vs 9mm).
    Kahr PM9 (CM9) holstered in pocket offers two more rounds capacity than a snub and its smaller in length & height.
    https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...sson-model-642

Snub versus Sig 365 aint even a contest, the 365 has twice the capacity and is easier to shoot quick.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I'm no fan of revolvers. Comparatively low capacity (needed or not) a heavier trigger and more felt recoil than a pistol of similar power (38 snub vs 9mm).
    Kahr PM9 (CM9) holstered in pocket offers two more rounds capacity than a snub and its smaller in length & height.
    https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...sson-model-642

Snub versus Sig 365 aint even a contest, the 365 has twice the capacity and is easier to shoot quick.
    Contact, Entanglement, Compromised-Grip?

[QUOTE=CDW4ME;1392719Snub versus Sig 365 aint even a contest, the 365 has twice the capacity and is easier to shoot quick.[/QUOTE]

Well, nothing is “easier to shoot quick,” until it successfully clears that pocket, and can be successfully pointed/aimed at the threat.

Arguably, one pockets a snub-gun, to most-quickly-and-smoothly start shooting, when already “in trouble*,” and then finishes with a duty/service-sized weapon. This combination provides for a best start, and a best finish. Of course, if one senses trouble, in advance, use the large auto, from the start. Everything else is some kind of compromise. (Of course, using a handgun is, itself, a compromise, when long guns exist, but few of us can readily tote loaded long guns, during our daily activities.)

*The Primary & Secondary episode, on Snubbies, covers the “get out of trouble gun,” as opposed to the gun that one chooses to use for getting into trouble, looking for trouble, or deliberately hunting for the bad guy(s).
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Which Kel Tecs?
    2 P3ATs and a P32 I forgot. The P-32 was a good deal better than the .380s, although it did actually break(used gun, unknown wear). I only fired ball and it was much easier on my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, nothing is “easier to shoot quick,” until it successfully clears that pocket, and can be successfully pointed/aimed at the threat.

Arguably, one pockets a snub-gun, to most-quickly-and-smoothly start shooting, when already “in trouble*,” and then finishes with a duty/service-sized weapon. This combination provides for a best start, and a best finish. Of course, if one senses trouble, in advance, use the large auto, from the start. Everything else is some kind of compromise. (Of course, using a handgun is, itself, a compromise, when long guns exist, but few of us can readily tote loaded long guns, during our daily activities.)

*The Primary & Secondary episode, on Snubbies, covers the “get out of trouble gun,” as opposed to the gun that one chooses to use for getting into trouble, looking for trouble, or deliberately hunting for the bad guy(s).
    ^^^All of this. My pocket carry 442 is a BUG to my G19, if I'm reaching into my pocket it a real bad day and may call for contact shooting, a revolver gets the nod here.

Short answer to be followed up on;

Nothing has drawn as clean from a pocket for me as a internal hammer snub such as the 642 or LCR.

Most of the small semi autos I've tried were nowhere near as reliable as my snubs. I am not the only person to observe this.

One reason many people don't is that they do not commonly draw their carry gun and shoot it in the manner that they were carrying it, ie without unloading the carry ammo and reloading the gun with ball ammo. Fired as they have been carried I note many semi autos have a "one round and a stovepipe" habit.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I carry a mid or full size pistol every day IWB. However, sometimes when taking the dog out at night I wish I had something I could just throw in a pocket holster in my stretchy shorts (no belt) and head out, or take out the trash, get mail, etc...
    While my next purchase will be primarily for that purpose, I'd also like for it to double as a BUG to my primary.
    I've tried several times, but I have yet to find anything better than a J frame to serve in that particular role.

Just last week I ended up carrying the J frame in gym shorts in a Dark Star Gear holster when I was handling some chores around the house, then switching it to pocket carry when I needed to head out to a business meeting and dinner downtown. (Parking garages are great places to get ambushed. Nobody thinks anything is wrong when you walk with your hand in your pocket) Before going out I had to take out some trash, grab some mail from the mailbox, kill a wasps nest, etc...the J was on me the whole time for that. If I saw something that concerned me I'd upgrade to the shotgun that was usually not very far away.

Out in town the ability to have a ~ 1/2 second draw to vital shot with the .38 is pretty effective. Note that this isn't really backup gun use as much as it is secondary weapon use. The pocket J isn't my first choice for a fighting handgun unless we're talking about being able to have a master grip established on the weapon while an unknown contact is maneuvering on you in close quarters. In that one instance it's an exceptionally nasty little surprise for at least a couple of bad guys and if you pair the draw with some movement you'll likely be able to put an end to an intended criminal assault PDQ. If I do need more ammo, well...I have a duty grade semi-auto carried AIWB.

The J frame isn't the greatest defensive handgun ever devised, but in the particular niche you're discussing I've looked for 20 years and not found anything that does what it does as well as it does it.

None of the recent introductions on the market have changed that for me.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-07-2022 at 02:09 PM.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Short answer to be followed up on;

Nothing has drawn as clean from a pocket for me as a internal hammer snub such as the 642 or LCR.

Most of the small semi autos I've tried were nowhere near as reliable as my snubs. I am not the only person to observe this.

One reason many people don't is that they do not commonly draw their carry gun and shoot it in the manner that they were carrying it, ie without unloading the carry ammo and reloading the gun with ball ammo. Fired as they have been carried I note many semi autos have a "one round and a stovepipe" habit.
    Yeah.

Micro guns are often shot with a full, solid grip...not the grip people actually get on them in an emergency deployment.

Drawing to a bad grip is more common than drawing to a good one with all handguns. This is one of the reasons why we see so many misses in fighting situations and why handguns have a much spottier record for reliability in real world use than range use. I've not found a micro semi-auto that works nearly well enough to depend on like my J frames.

Revolvers in general are inferior to modern semi-automatics in terms of durability and reliability...except in these small sizes and to the extent that they depend on a good grip to work.

There really just isn't a better mousetrap for the gun that can serve as a belt-carried primary and run from a pocket like a J frame with a shrouded hammer as far as I know.

That's why you see guys who know some shit like Chuck packing them.
    3/15/2016

Between the two choices, a 9mm pocket rocket or a 642. The answer for me is 642. The only gun I've found that carries better is an LCP, but that's a step down in terms of performance from a 642 loaded with wadcutters. I'd be perfectly happy with a 642 loaded with wadcutters as my go-to for pocket carry.

If I was only going to own one gun for the rest of my life, it would probably be an Airweight J-Frame, though in my case a 2.5" 638.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Yeah.

Micro guns are often shot with a full, solid grip...not the grip people actually get on them in an emergency deployment.

Drawing to a bad grip is more common than drawing to a good one with all handguns. This is one of the reasons why we see so many misses in fighting situations and why handguns have a much spottier record for reliability in real world use than range use. I've not found a micro semi-auto that works nearly well enough to depend on like my J frames.

Revolvers in general are inferior to modern semi-automatics in terms of durability and reliability...except in these small sizes and to the extent that they depend on a good grip to work.

There really just isn't a better mousetrap for the gun that can serve as a belt-carried primary and run from a pocket like a J frame with a shrouded hammer as far as I know.

That's why you see guys who know some shit like Chuck packing them.
    That's what makes the shrouded hammer J frame so perfect for the pocket. It allows one, with the proper pants and holster combo, the ability to have a full firing grip while remaining concealed from view. While it is not as efficient in other roles, it really does excel in the pocket. I tried the G43 from the pocket. The J frame was more reliable every time.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List