Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prototype cover for RDS in holster

Prototype cover for RDS in holster

While pistol-mounted red dots gain popularity, holsters lag behind in RDS-specific designs—especially with regard to built-in shields or covers to protect the optic from debris and impact. That’s understandable, given the range of optic designs and mounting positions on the slide.

This post describes a prototype RDS cover that detaches from the optic when the gun is drawn. I’m hoping it inspires more robust designs, possibly made from Kydex, Neoprene, or 3D printed polymer. @Mack, @Tony Mayer, @Dark Star Gear, @Flamingo, @RevolverRob

I folded a cover for an Acro P2 from 3M Onewrap double-sided Velcro. One side opens when pulled from a cord attached above the holster body.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-09-2022 at 10:01 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Now I know why Aimpoint designed that thing to look like a mail box!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Dear OP, if you are interested in pursuing IP protections for your idea or otherwise commercializing it, I am not a patent attorney, but I’d be otherwise happy to provide you with info & support.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Whoever pursues, maybe incorporate sorbothane or similar for impact protection…?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Dear OP, if you are interested in pursuing IP protections for your idea or otherwise commercializing it, I am not a patent attorney, but I’d be otherwise happy to provide you with info & support.
    Thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it. I already have 9 patents that haven't earned that much money. While I enjoy inventing things, I do not like selling things or being an entrepreneur.

It made me happy to develop the Junk Carry Pillow and see @Mack turn it into a commercial product.

Similarly if someone else takes this concept and runs with it, all I ask is a few units for my own use.

It's an interesting idea for sure. I wonder if kydex that slides on and off might impact the zero of optics that aren't as robustly mounted as the ACRO? It has the advantage of being pretty slick, unlike the soft rubber cover that many optics come with which is so sticky, but if the kydex cover doesn't come off cleanly it may yank on the optic.

Could Cordura be a better alternative? Slick/smooth on the inside and abrasion resistance on the outside?

PDMS (silicone) or Neoprene (e.g. Scopeguard) seem like promising materials.

I agree that a full hard shell could be difficult for reliable detachment on the draw. A Neoprene cover with hard polymer insert(s), perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's an interesting idea for sure. I wonder if kydex that slides on and off might impact the zero of optics that aren't as robustly mounted as the ACRO? It has the advantage of being pretty slick, unlike the soft rubber cover that many optics come with which is so sticky, but if the kydex cover doesn't come off cleanly it may yank on the optic.

Could Cordura be a better alternative? Slick/smooth on the inside and abrasion resistance on the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    PDMS (silicone) or Neoprene (e.g. Scopeguard) seem like promising materials.

I agree that a full hard shell could be difficult for reliable detachment on the draw. A Neoprene cover with hard polymer insert(s), perhaps?
    Neoprene or silicone that has velcro dots on the fore and aft ends - when you yank on it, it 'butterflies' open?

Drawing coming up.

Name:  88810E51-2837-48C4-8C80-75859AD6286C.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  50.8 KB

Hmm…
    I seem to recall seeing/ reading of something called a “jellyfish” which was a soft rubbery cover for RMRs(?)

My thought contribution is a relatively hard polymer cover with a “ thumb push” at top end as pistol sits in holster. Coupled with a string/lanyard attached to top.As one draws, thumb hits extension to push off. If that fails, string pulls away on drawstroke.
    Might not work with a security holster…
    Thinking it through a little further, wouldn’t all you need is a top cover? Pistol with ACRO/Steiner/ 509T is going to sit with forward lens down…

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Neoprene or silicone that has velcro dots on the fore and aft ends - when you yank on it, it 'butterflies' open?

Drawing coming up.
    From playing with my prototype (post #1), all you need is one side to open a bit. A Neoprene cover might be stretchy enough to not even require that.

A more challenging problem is how to keep the cover on optics that aren't mailbox shaped.

User Tag List