Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Luggage, Duffels, Packs, Man Purses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Hill People Gear and London Bridge Trading Co. are my go to sources these days.

I have a NorthFace day pack I used in college in the 80's still going strong. Back then NorthFace was a specialty shop brand. I would be surprised if they still are of the same quality.
    I've an old North Face Borealis that was a go to for years, but since last Christmas, this pack is my go-to for everything. It wasn't 'tactical' looking, and holds alot of stuff.
    Not too big, not too small, and can be worked with my Recon Kit bag.https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../ProductID/128

"... And miles to go before I sleep".

My many-years-long quest thread on this forum about my rotation of various “dad bags” is quite the trip down memory lane for me.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ed-new-dad-bag

As a dad, the needs over the years change as kids get older and circumstances evolve. Iirc when my quest first began we had smaller kids, we had Disney annual passes, etc. and so I “needed” a larger bag/backpack because it wasn’t just me I was schlepping for.

Now that I only carry my own crap, the Fanny pack is where it’s at for me. I just flew with it for the first time and now that I have an iPad mini (on which I’m typing this) that fits in it, I’m in love with the solution, and my bag in particular.

Mine is the Aer Day Sling 2, and I have the OD
    https://www.aersf.com/day-sling-2-black

They now make a “3”
    https://www.aersf.com/day-sling-3-black

Carried it all around a music festival yesterday and just love it more and more all the time.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

How the heck does a retailer fail to post any photos of the product actually being WORN?

https://packhacker.com/travel-gear/aer/day-sling-3/

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

How the heck does a retailer fail to post any photos of the product actually being WORN?

https://packhacker.com/travel-gear/aer/day-sling-3/

I didn’t realize they reduced the capacity from the 2 to the 3 until I read that.
    (4.5L for the Day Sling 2, 3L for the Day Sling 3).

I would Think that could be a problem for me.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I didn’t realize they reduced the capacity from the 2 to the 3 until I read that.

I prefer the smaller size... definitely considering the 3.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

In order of size, I use and like:

1) Viktos Upscale Sling Bag in black. It’s pretty versatile - for vacations, it’s usually my road trip/travel bag. I actually just finished packing mine out for an upcoming trip: cables and charging bricks, a battery bank, flashlight, IFAK, some snacks, an extra spare mag, etc. Or you can use it for its intended purpose, which is carrying a gun in the fast-access compartment. I think I’ve done that like once at the beach. The main compartment barely (and I mean barely) fits my 11” iPad pro, so that or another small device like a Kindle would also fit.

2) Vertx Tourist Sling. This is my work bag and, when I fly, my carry on/personal item/whatever they’re called. Dimensionally, it works very well for carrying an iPad, electronics, chargers, and accessories, tools, an IFAK, some spare mags, some of that water flavoring stuff, tuna packets, pens, work badges, medications, wallets/passports, and all sorts of other small, handy stuff that’s useful when flying or traveling. I bought it because the gun compartment is just big enough for the Microsoft Surfaces they give us at work, but I hate my work Surface because it sucks and I kind of hope my dog eats it so work will give me a new one so I rarely carry it. It is not big enough for a traditional laptop.

3) Hill People Gear Tarahumara. Completely overbuilt, pass-down-to-your-kids-someday, American-made hiking daypack. Carries a pair of Naglenes, some snacks, a first aid kit, and some light emergency supplies. Stuff can be docked to the main compartment if need be, and there’s shock cord to stuff a jacket into. Has served me well through local hikes and Glacier, Yellowstone, Yosimite, Zion, and soon to be Rocky Mountain National Parks. The harness is very comfortable.

4) Eberlestock Switchblade. Apparently this was designed to EDC a rifle/PDW/whatever, so it has some rifle magazine pouches on the inside of the otherwise very useful top compartment that I wish were shaped a bit differently. Size wise, it’s about a 24-36 hour pack in my opinion. The only mod I did was to add shock cord to the useless not-molle on the exterior of the pack. Externally it’s discrete, but the lead character in The Terminal List does prominently pull an M4 out of one on screen so more people may recognize it for what it is. Harness is nice and breathes well. Mine is pretty comfy loaded with about 30lbs of stuff. The zipper is pretty cool and allows me to get at different stuff inside the pack without unloading the whole thing. If I packed right, this and the Vertx Tourist Sling would probably serve me quite well for a long weekend flight with no checked baggage.

My favorite ruck: Eagle comms pack, USA made.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have been looking at these since you posted. What size do you think is useful? The Day Sling 3 Max is 6 liters and slightly larger. Is that too large?

Tom Binh and Filson are what I use. ULA Equipment, an ultralight backpacking gear company, makes some stuff too that I'd get, but there's a little durability sacrifice made for weight.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List