Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Agencies dropping Stacatto?

I had an AD or Unintentional in early 1990 when I was ordered to decock my Colt Officers ACP at the firing line.

I was on the job for a few months, green as can be. My dad had bought me a COACP for graduation of the police academy in 1988.

I was on the 25-yard line with my Colt at the ready on lane 1. There were officers to my right on each lane waiting for the command to fire.

They were shooting shotguns behind us in another direction.

The range master (Training Sgt) walked up to me and yelled "is that hammer cocked Rookie!"

Before I could finish my response of its a 1911, he was yelling at me to decock. I told him it was a 1911.

He yelled "are you arguing with me.... DECOCK!"

He turned around and began to walk away toward the other lanes.

I carefully thumbed my hammer fwd but being flustered as I just got yelled at, the hammer slipped off my thumb and BANG.

The Colt fired 45 degrees down just forward of me. In my mind (I was fired) but I looked to my right and the officer to my right was still looking forward and the sounds of shotgun blast filled the air.

WOW, I just had an AD and no one ffffnnnnn knew.

This time I doubled thumb my commander style hammer fwd to Condition Two.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

This thread has been fascinating so far. Also, I congratulate the OP for his use of double entendre.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I had an AD or Unintentional in early 1990 when I was ordered to decock my Colt Officers ACP at the firing line.

I was on the job for a few months, green as can be. My dad had bought me a COACP for graduation of the police academy in 1988.

I was on the 25-yard line with my Colt at the ready on lane 1. There were officers to my right on each lane waiting for the command to fire.

They were shooting shotguns behind us in another direction.

The range master (Training Sgt) walked up to me and yelled "is that hammer cocked Rookie!"

Before I could finish my response of its a 1911, he was yelling at me to decock. I told him it was a 1911.

He yelled "are you arguing with me.... DECOCK!"

He turned around and began to walk away toward the other lanes.

I carefully thumbed my hammer fwd but being flustered as I just got yelled at, the hammer slipped off my thumb and BANG.

The Colt fired 45 degrees down just forward of me. In my mind (I was fired) but I looked to my right and the officer to my right was still looking forward and the sounds of shotgun blast filled the air.

WOW, I just had an AD and no one ffffnnnnn knew.

This time I doubled thumb my commander style hammer fwd to Condition Two.
    It seems that a number of accidental discharges are significantly contributed to by someone in a position of authority over the shooter who does not know what they are doing. I remain more concerned about this than any mechanical issue with the gun.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    It seems that a number of accidental discharges are significantly contributed to by someone in a position of authority over the shooter who does not know what they are doing. I remain more concerned about this than any mechanical issue with the gun.
    It's an interesting thing, especially when I see the hardass-military-DI thing replicated by LEOs. The USMC, which is the most yelly/screamy bunch of them all, very purposefully changes its teaching doctrine on the range; the yelly/screamy people are even told to stand down and go away when recruits are on the range, because that shit doesn't belong there.

And yet here some civilian is trying to be a hard ass yelly/screamy tough guy when even the yelliest/screamiest of them all don't do that at the range.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's an interesting thing, especially when I see the hardass-military-DI thing replicated by LEOs. The USMC, which is the most yelly/screamy bunch of them all, very purposefully changes its teaching doctrine on the range; the yelly/screamy people are even told to stand down and go away when recruits are on the range, because that shit doesn't belong there.

And yet here some civilian is trying to be a hard ass yelly/screamy tough guy when even the yelliest/screamiest of them all don't do that at the range.
    Over the years I've been involved in many discussions regarding 'stress' and 'non-stress' academies.

It just never made sense to me that you would run a 'boot camp' academy where recruits are scared to take a shit without asking, and then (back in the day) within a couple days or weeks of Graduation you have a Deputy or Trooper operating far from shore (so to speak) on their own. It just makes no sense.

I've asked folks who favor such systems why they are better, and really have never heard a good reason.

There is a difference between the training you give to Marines, who are expected to go without hesitation when the ramp drops, and a person who is going to be working and making semi-complex decisions on their own from day one.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Accidental firearms discharges happening to all all kinds of people on youtube using all types of firearms. I prefer to go to my club's range by myself or with just one buddy if possible. An owner of a gun shop close to my location just shot his wife in the foot few weeks ago. You just can't be too careful when around firearms.

https://youtu.be/vfONckOPyaI?si=laS__FhHYNLatD4S

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    This thread has been fascinating so far. Also, I congratulate the OP for his use of double entendre.
    I agree it’s been a thought provoking thread and in other news I put 200 more rounds through my C2 today, I’m starting to like this dot thing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I’ve seen a direct correlation between “yeller/screamer” FIs in LE and FI’s who: can’t shoot at a high level, don’t demonstrate (or shoot in the presence of students), get jealous / bitchy when a student can shoot well and only have a limited number of canned responses for everything shooting related.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve seen a direct correlation between “yeller/screamer” FIs in LE and FI’s who: can’t shoot at a high level, don’t demonstrate (or shoot in the presence of students), get jealous / bitchy when a student can shoot well and only have a limited number of canned responses for everything shooting related.
    Oh Dear Lord....This. This is all the things, right here. The defensive arrogance of 'Instructors' who don't really know anything, and are in reality only 'Range Safety Officers'.

When we started introducing performance shooting concepts, actual training, and higher standards, there was resistance at some level all around....mostly because the instructors had never been exposed to the ideas being presented. Most of them quickly bought in when the ideas were shown to actually work. Even more so when I was able to actually get training from outside instructors for the staff. But 2 of 10 resisted strongly.....and continued to do so to the point of sabotage. They're still there, and I'm retired. Hence hundreds of officers out of compliance with both Department Qualifications and State Mandated Perishable Skills training. Things were headed in the right direction, but the last few years really did a number on LE in California.

Those people aren't instructors. They're hacks & target graders.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

User Tag List