Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Flashlight with a Strike Bezel

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    It seems as though most training for breaking auto glass is focused on outside getting in. Not inside getting out, which is the only reason I keep a glass break capable knife in my car.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    I use my door handle.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    I use my door handle.
    I prefer the Dukes of Hazzard Style personally.

But I do drive over 10-25 mile bridges over open water, I am assuming you do not? I hear it can be very challenging for even the strongest people to open the door of a submerged/submerging car.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    But I do drive over 10-25 mile bridges over open water, I am assuming you do not? I hear it can be very challenging for even the strongest people to open the door of a submerged/submerging car.
    Mythbusters did several episodes on this. Bottom line: if you don't open the door immediately, it's effectively impossible. Same for the windows.

I'd need to ask a firefighter to be sure, but I'm told doors often jam after serious collisions as a way to make sure the occupant isn't ejected.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I've not tried this but I did stay at a Holiday Inn where this dude hanging out in the breakfast room told me that if you wait for the water pressure inside the vehicle to equal that outside, the door will then open. Of course, you've probably drowned by then...

Chance, how you getting on with the 10 speed pouch?

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Mythbusters did several episodes on this. Bottom line: if you don't open the door immediately, it's effectively impossible. Same for the windows.

I'd need to ask a firefighter to be sure, but I'm told doors often jam after serious collisions as a way to make sure the occupant isn't ejected.
    I think that used to be an old thought process, but now with the crumple zones in vehicles we see a TON of people walking away (see talking on cell phone and smoking a cigarette) when we arrive on wrecks up here. In years past they would be terribly pinned requiring a lengthy extrication. More often times than not now we see doors actually popping open rather easily (see no use of "jaws of life") with hand tools.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by jca1386 View Post
    I think that used to be an old thought process, but now with the crumple zones in vehicles we see a TON of people walking away (see talking on cell phone and smoking a cigarette) when we arrive on wrecks up here. In years past they would be terribly pinned requiring a lengthy extrication. More often times than not now we see doors actually popping open rather easily (see no use of "jaws of life") with hand tools.
    Back in the early to mid 80's I met up in Atlanta with an agent I had never met previously to work a case in Knoxville, TN. While driving to TN we were leapfrogging on the highway with a pretty blonde in a Volvo or Subaru to the best of my recollection. She got distracted by looking into her purse or something similar, veered into a guard rail or retaining wall...bounced off and back on to the highway and was immediately run over by a tractor trailer.

I was aghast and trying to get out the door to render aid at 50 mph and fortunately my partner held on to my collar to keep me from bailing out.

She was saved, unbelievably, by not wearing her seat belt. The driver side was completely flattened but she was thrown over to the passenger side which I was able to pry open to render first aid while awaiting the EMTs. As she came to the only thing she was worried about was the car and keeping me with her at the scene. Fortunately the trucker had a fire extinguisher and was able to attend to the flames in the engine compartment.

My hat's off to all of you that render aid in those circumstances routinely. It was an eye opener for me being first on the scene with no prior training.
    Last edited by blues; 03-18-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I work in an area that has a pretty congested highway system. Route 15, I-691, and I-91 all converge in my district add in the sun glare and you get a pretty good amount of wrecks. We're good for a fatal or two a year and some serious technical extrications throughout the duration of the year. I've learned never to keep anything under the seat of my rented U-Haul as it can serve to take ones feet of at the ankles....

My hat is off to those of you in LE...we can literally show up and burn someone's house to the ground and they're still thankful we showed up. You folks show up and arrest a husband for beating his wife into a pulp and still are criticized...
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 03-18-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

I work in an area that has a pretty congested highway system. Route 15, I-691, and I-91 all converge in my district add in the sun glare and you get a pretty good amount of wrecks. We're good for a fatal or two a year and some serious technical extrications throughout the duration of the year. I've learned never to keep anything under the seat of my rented U-Haul as it can serve to take ones feet of at the ankles....

My hat is off to those of you in LE...we can literally show up and burn someone's house to the ground and they're still thankful we showed up. You folks show up and arrest a husband for beating his wife into a pulp and still are criticized...
    I know the general area fairly well. Back in the 80's while still working out of the federal bldg in NYC we had an undercover op in Hartford and environs so we drove up pretty regularly. Actually had some pretty hair raising times up there.

Oh, and fortunately domestics weren't our area of operation but that didn't stop families from going bat shit when going to a home and executing either a search or arrest warrant.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Side note not on the current trend of conversation…

I had a security guard check my flashlight for a strike bezel at a concert recently. Not a rowdy one either. Interesting. He said he'd let me through because it didn't have one.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    not now we see doors actually popping open rather easily (see no use of "jaws of life") with hand tools.
    Must be disappointing

User Tag List