Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Flashlight with a Strike Bezel

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Carrying a Flashlight with a Strike Bezel

Anyone carry a flashlight with a strike bezel? If so, how?

I have a Surefire E2D with a strike bezel and I love it. While I'm confident you can smack the ever-loving bejeezus out of someone without the strike bezel, it seems like good value added.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 11.36.08 AM.png
Views: 947
Size:  60.6 KB

The problem is: the strike bezel wears holes in clothing. I was carrying it in my back pocket, next to my wallet, but it started to make a hole. And I wear Duluth Fire Hose jeans (of the five pocket variety, not the cargo pant variety), so they're pretty heavy material.

My present thinking is to send the thing off to someone who makes custom kydex and have them make a holster for it that I can wear on my belt. I'm just curious if someone has any other solutions.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I haven't had that problem but I wonder if you could find a rubber or elastic cap of sorts at your local Lowes/Home Depot and rig it up like a Vanguard for a light.

I am not a fan of having exposed clips in my professional setting so my Protac 1-AA whatever (the dual fuel one) spends a lot of time in a Ten Speed pouch on a Pocket Shield.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I'm not a fan of carrying something that might cause you to look like Bernard Goetz to a jury if you end up in court.

(I totally understand why someone would want to carry any variety of equalizers...I'm just leery of how things can go awry in a hurry.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    The only pants I've had that don't get holes from a light with a strike bezel are the 5.11 Apex. I've also carried a light on my belt behind the spare mag in a combo holder made my JMCK. I never had a problem with it, but a few people with opinions worth listening to have advised against it due to the chance of it causing issues with reloads, specifically trying to stuff a light in to a magwell.
    Last edited by scjbash; 03-03-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm not a fan of carrying something that might cause you to look like Bernard Goetz to a jury if you end up in court.
    Would you mind expanding on that, please? Not trying to incite something, just a little fuzzy and need more coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    So then what is the point of bringing that whole case up?

What was your point then, as I obviously missed it.
    Giving the "appearance" of...

If you're an experienced police officer and have been a participant in numerous trials then surely you are aware of the issues surrounding "appearance". Let's face it, the defense industry has created a cottage industry of experts whose only job is to make Johnny look like an altar boy or make someone else who is not their client look like...Bernie Goetz.

The truth is not the only thing that matters. As they say in gov't...one has to avoid giving even the appearance of impropriety.

I used to carry a kubaton / flail. I haven't since I retired. Can I? Maybe. I don't know the local codes. Would it make me someone who's out looking for trouble? Clearly not. Would opposing counsel try to frame me up that way? You betcha.

I hope we're not going to have to hash this out all day, VDM. I'd rather have my wisdom teeth pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

(I totally understand why someone would want to carry any variety of equalizers...I'm just leery of how things can go awry in a hurry.)
    I see your point, but if I'm in trouble, I assume having a gun and knife would be of more concern to a jury.

His only crime was living in a communist shit hole.
    Can you please stop hijacking my threads? This ain't the romper room.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO
    I am not a fan of having exposed clips in my professional setting so my Protac 1-AA whatever (the dual fuel one) spends a lot of time in a Ten Speed pouch on a Pocket Shield.
    What specific pouch do you use, and does BFG make the Pocket Shield too? I'm having trouble finding that on their site.
    Last edited by Chance; 03-03-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Chance, I use the Raven Pocket Shield plus the BFG Ten-Speed Double Pistol and the combo isn't perfect but I like it. One could use the single mag pouch but I like the extra option for other circumstances.

I'm hijacking by pointing out irrelevance and he's not because?

Easy fix, ignore my posts.
    You don't know how to drop something, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I see your point, but if I'm in trouble, I assume having a gun and knife would be of more concern to a jury.
    Yes, pretty much goes with the territory. But it's sort of the same logic that dictates (or at least suggests) avoiding carrying a knife known as the "Death Ninja Crowd Slayer" even if it's no more capable than something labeled "Utility Knife".

I figure if I had to use my flashlight as a striking or impact weapon (because I didn't need to resort (yet) to a firearm) it would still be a pretty serviceable tool even without the addition of the bezel. (And I'd probably use a knife as an impact weapon as well before I'd even consider using it as a blade. But that's me and my lack of training in the blade arts. Unless having been cut a couple of times counts...which I don't think it does.)

My intent was not to castigate or sway...simply to point out my concerns and how appearances can be used against one in even the most innocent of circumstances. Sorry for the goat f*# afterward. Sincerely.

User Tag List