Page 3 of 323 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 FS Compact (and general Beretta love lately)

So what pistol would you get as a base gun to send to AGW?

Site Supporter
    Considering he can convert a FS to G i've been thinking of an M9A1.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So what pistol would you get as a base gun to send to AGW?
    My personal opinion is a full-size aluminum framed Beretta.

I don't have any problem CCWing with a full-size Beretta so I don't see the point in the compacts.

Then you've got to decide if you want something that's current production or an overpriced discontinued model. Personally, I'd opt for a current production model.

Then you've got to decide which model, i.e, rail or no rail, dovetailed or integral front sight, flared or non-flared mag well, checkered or serrated front and back-straps, etc.

Again, personally, I like the slide and frame refinements of the 92A1. The only thing the frame lacks is a flared mag well. My choices in order of preference are:

92A1 - Most updated frame and slide design.
    M9A1 - Older frame design, but has flared mag well and front and back-strap checkering.
    92FS - No rail and integral front sight, but I'd still be happy with one. Lots of holster options.

Once you get your gun, Josh can do almost anything you want to it, that's when the fun begins.

God Bless,
    David

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David B. View Post
    Two simple solutions for that.

1. Josh's (AGW) low profile safety lever....
    Yea, but the Sig maintains factory support since it was built "correctly" from the start. I don't know how the modified safety would impacts those that shoot gun games.

I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable saying you'll never accidentally engage it, I want my draw to disengage it (or try to) - whether it was supposed to be on or not. Making it a low profile lever just makes that harder since I can't reach the OEM one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by David B. View Post
    remember the crazy rattle it had?),
    Oh yes. It was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I don't know how the modified safety would impacts those that shoot gun games.
    This is something that needs to be considered. Philosophical ideas come into play.

I know I'm never going to be a national competitor. I don't know if I possess the proper DNA and I certainly don't want to put the time, money, and effort into training like that. So I do some local club matches both sanctioned and non-sanctioned USPSA just for the fun of it and to improve my skills.

My modifications, i.e., speed-bump trigger, extended mag release, etc., preclude me from production division. Therefore I have to shoot in limited division. Obviously this puts me at a competitive disadvantage shooting both minor power factor and with a gun that really belongs in production division. Fellow competitors often marvel at the choice I make and don't quite understand it.

I can easily take the mods out and replace them with stock parts and my performance wouldn't diminish much if any at all. However, the modifications I have give me optimal ergonomics and makes what I do with the pistol a little easier.

So philosophy number 1 is that I'm willing to use aftermarket parts even though there isn't a significant performance benefit, but because they feel better in my hands they are on the gun.

Philosophy number 2 is that I CCW with the same gun I train and compete with. Therefore I will sacrifice the competitive "fairness" component in favor of doing everything with the same gun. At the end of the day it's more important for me to have the confidence and competence with my carry gun than be concerned about whether a charlie is worth 3 or 4 points.

These are the mods I've done to my 92A1:

Cut to 4.7" and re-crowned barrel by Josh at AGW
    AGW Speed-bump trigger
    AGW Low profile custom carry safety /decock lever.
    Steve Bedair stainless guide rod.
    E2 extended mag catch.
    E2 skeletonized hammer and D spring.
    Aluminum flush hammer spring cap and dog bone pin
    Dawson Fiber Optic front and Novak Custom rear sight. (.270 high and .155 wide).
    Custom (by me) reshaped and stippled vertec grips.
    CCR CPII plated slide and barrel.
    Trigger job (by me).

That last thing I'm going to do is have Josh flare the mag well in the next month or so.

God Bless,
    David

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the speed bump trigger?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    A trigger that limits overtravel, but not with a screw. It has a little bump on the back that is filed to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    A little bit of awesome. I have one of the old LTT speed bumps on my Elite, and it makes a small but noticeable difference.

Given my recently found love for TDA pistols with metal frames, this thread is a problem.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Given my recently found love for TDA pistols with metal frames, this thread is a problem.
    +1.
    Threads like this is why I can't have money.

User Tag List