Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ammo reliability criteria for home defense AR

Slightly different than a defensive AR, but I wouldn’t take a bolt action rifle out hunting, after cleaning the barrel, without a few fouling shots.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    They trained jarheads to reliably field strip, reassemble and function check M1 Garands blindfolded and we can't reassemble a field stripped AR in the comfort of our home?!? If we can train to put rounds on target, swap mags efficiently, clear malfunctions while on the clock, we can train to properly reassemble a field stripped AR.

Maybe it should be an AR IQ test for dumbasses on the internut.
    Maybe I should send Medusa a box of crayons? It works for us jarheads. Gotta have a reward after all of that field stripping, reassembly, and function tests
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Maybe I should send Medusa a box of crayons? It works for us jarheads. Gotta have a reward after all of that field stripping, reassembly, and function tests
    Best man I ever knew was a Marine. He taught me how to field strip, clean & reassemble the M1 Garand, M14 and 1911 when I was just a wee lad- and they had to pass the function checks. When asked why I joined the Air Force, I'd tell people 20 years in the Marine Corps was long enough. Crayons were after his day, but I'm sure he'd appreciate the sentiment.

Memorial Day is this weekend and its coming makes me realize just how much I miss him.

Yeah. Send Medusa a box of Crayons...

PS- Send me some too
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-21-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Send me some crayons, sure. I’ve been around enough Marines in my life to appreciate the sentiment. But, I ain’t the one who thinks magic voodoo shit happens after field strip and reassembly. 🤷*♀️ Let me alter one of my favorite Carroll Smith quotes again. “The firearm, being an inanimate object, must .... respond to reason.”

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Send me some crayons, sure. I’ve been around enough Marines in my life to appreciate the sentiment. But, I ain’t the one who thinks magic voodoo shit happens after field strip and reassembly. 🤷*♀️ Let me alter one of my favorite Carroll Smith quotes again. “The firearm, being an inanimate object, must .... respond to reason.”
    Uncle Pat Rogers USMC and NYPD, was not a fan of overdoing maintenance. It grieves me that new AR owners won’t know him. Erin Smith and I both bawled when he died. Hopefully you’ll get something out of this video if you have the time.

#RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm welcome to correction, but if a firearm passes a function check it's equally vetted as firing a live round.
    Anybody? Is there any malfunction resulting from a mistake in assembly that would show up in live fire but would still pass a function check?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Sorry, but my maintenance decisions on defensive weapons also include legal considerations as I’ve explained repeatedly. I’m not over cleaning, and I’m sure there’ll be days I run my AR over 500 in a day. I understand the weapons are not made of sugar and spice and won’t melt if allowed to sit with some crud in them any more than do my pistols. I’ll watch the vid later. To say I don’t put defensive weapons up dirty isn’t to say I obsess over every spec of dirt. If you saw my race cars, you’d understand.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Uncle Pat Rogers USMC and NYPD, was not a fan of overdoing maintenance. It grieves me that new AR owners won’t know him. Erin Smith and I both bawled when he died. Hopefully you’ll get something out of this video if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Anybody? Is there any malfunction resulting from a mistake in assembly that would show up in live fire but would still pass a function check?
    Well, I gave you a firsthand account. You can do with it what you want.

Are you talking function check with a dummy round or just cycle the action, trigger reset, fire, safety?

Another one that comes to mind is that unfortunately not all AR MFR’s taper bore the cam pin hole on the bolt like they’re supposed to. This, you could put the bolt in backwards. The gun would pass your function check and you’d sling your first piece of brass into the receiver instead of out. That just might cause a malfunction.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Well, I gave you a firsthand account. You can do with it what you want.

Are you talking function check with a dummy round or just cycle the action, trigger reset, fire, safety?

Another one that comes to mind is that unfortunately not all AR MFR’s taper bore the cam pin hole on the bolt like they’re supposed to. This, you could put the bolt in backwards. The gun would pass your function check and you’d sling your first piece of brass into the receiver instead of out. That just might cause a malfunction.
    Well, the cotton swab stuck wasn't really what I was thinking of as incorrect assembly, but the bolt would be. Thanks.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Sorry, but my maintenance decisions on defensive weapons also include legal considerations as I’ve explained repeatedly. I’m not over cleaning, and I’m sure there’ll be days I run my AR over 500 in a day. I understand the weapons are not made of sugar and spice and won’t melt if allowed to sit with some crud in them any more than do my pistols. I’ll watch the vid later. To say I don’t put defensive weapons up dirty isn’t to say I obsess over every spec of dirt. If you saw my race cars, you’d understand.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    #RESIST

User Tag List