Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Preventing Car Theft

I believe there are automated systems too, not sure this would fly in the US though

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I was astonished a few years back when I had to cut one off of a steering wheel of one of our fleet vehicles because the lock broke. A Sawzall with a course carbide blade cut through that puppy like buttah.
    Thieves will just take bolt cutters to your steering wheel. But it still adds friction to the theft, reducing the number of potential thieves...

Lock your car, shut your garage door, take the garage door opener out of the car parked outside, lock the house doors.

Site Supporter
    Back in the day, we went on a two week vacation, and I removed the distributor rotor and left it in the house. Years earlier I had my mechanic place an electric cut off switch in my car's trunk. Rotors are long gone. The cut off switch would still work. To prevent his trailer from being stolen my brother removed the tires and set it on blocks. Most would not go to this much trouble. Today we are more civilized, and thief's do not fear bodily harm if discovered stealing. And then technology has allowed them to be slicker and faster.

I wonder what the % is in thefts by opportunist looking for stuff stupidly left available vs thefts by well equipped professionals.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I wonder what the % is in thefts by opportunist looking for stuff stupidly left available vs thefts by well equipped professionals.
    I think heavily skewed in favor of the opportunist.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    Lock your car, shut your garage door, take the garage door opener out of the car parked outside, lock the house doors.
    Have you seen how easily a thief can reach in over your garage door with a wire and pull the emergency release on your garage door opener?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Have you seen how easily a thief can reach in over your garage door with a wire and pull the emergency release on your garage door opener?

I'm told you can simply remove the rope and then use a stick with a hook on it, if you need to use the emergency release. Maybe set off to the side next to your fire extinguisher. That way you have your emergency stuff handy.

My dad always put a couple of bolts through the track when we went on vacation as a kid. An extra layer.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm told you can simply remove the rope and then use a stick with a hook on it, if you need to use the emergency release. Maybe set off to the side next to your fire extinguisher. That way you have your emergency stuff handy.

My dad always put a couple of bolts through the track when we went on vacation as a kid. An extra layer.
    There are shields that stop crooks from pulling the cord. You can use zip ties on the release to prevent it from being pulled down. The balance is heavy enough it can’t be pulled from outside but light enough you can break it if you need to.

https://thegarageshield.com/
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Location dependent, but mostly the first one. There are relatively few professionals, but they are prolific where they work.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List