Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    It would be slightly less ironic if you spelled my screenname correctly
    ROFL!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Saw it last night, and I got choked up at the end. There may have been a tear or two.

I just found out on Friday that I'm going to have a son in July. Probably related to the emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    Saw it last night, and I got choked up at the end. There may have been a tear or two.

I just found out on Friday that I'm going to have a son in July. Probably related to the emotions.
    Me too. Could be related to one son in the Army and another tracking to be. But I think also and even mostly out of overwhelming awe for the best of us that will risk all their tomorrows in such service. It is a brand of nobility that is truly breathtaking.

CONGRATULATIONS on the news of a son!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Saw it yesterday, not really sharing group's enthusiasm about this one. Acting was weak, to say the least, but I was OK with that. Having active duty SEALs portray themselves lent some credibility to it, and bad acting somewhat worked in a way of "look, we're SEALs, not actors". However, what credibility was earned that way, got immediately lost for me after the first extraction episode due to poor screenplay. What, we have only one platoon of SEALs to hit consecutive targets and do recon in multiple spots on the globe within compressed span of a time? From that point on, I couldn't take it seriously, although the gunplay was very realistic. And yes, the end of the film, even though predictable, left me with a tear.
    3/5 stars, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Saw it yesterday, not really sharing group's enthusiasm about this one. Acting was weak, to say the least, but I was OK with that. Having active duty SEALs portray themselves lent some credibility to it, and bad acting somewhat worked in a way of "look, we're SEALs, not actors". However, what credibility was earned that way, got immediately lost for me after the first extraction episode due to poor screenplay. What, we have only one platoon of SEALs to hit consecutive targets and do recon in multiple spots on the globe within compressed span of a time? From that point on, I couldn't take it seriously, although the gunplay was very realistic. And yes, the end of the film, even though predictable, left me with a tear.
    3/5 stars, in my opinion.
    Totally spot on observations IMO. I agree with all of that . . . but still liked it very much. I am adept at suspending reality to enjoy a movie so the biggest problem of one platoon covering the globe I just had to allow for. I prefer BHD as the best movie of pure battle. No home front. Just the troops and the battle.

It's made $45M and cost $12M to make. They're making money on it at least. I was hoping it would continue to dominate but sadly it appears to be tailing off.

But that's understandable with competition like "Project X" and "The Lorax" to contend with. No accounting for taste I guess.

Sitting through the previews was painful both times but I gutted it out.

Truly good movies are such a rarity these days.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I saw the film yesterday evening and I really enjoyed it. Given, the acting isn't the greatest but I didn't see if for that reason, I saw it because I think it's awesome to have SEALs playing themselves in a movie about them. The action was solid and the story wasn't bad. One of my favorite parts was the interrogation of "Christo" on the yacht. And the M134......I love me some miniguns!

I just love any halfway decent flick with good guys killing jihadis. There are a million great stories waiting to be put to film. Hollywood resists.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-06-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    One of my favorite parts was the interrogation of "Christo" on the yacht.
    I would love to develop the abilities and disposition of that Senior Chief from that interrogation. That was awesome, and I'm guessing the part where everyone was referring to when saying he was a menacing character.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Is there something being put in the water which turns erstwhile normal people into blithering morons?
    Free access to mass media without the filter of consequence, exascerbated by anonymity.

My name is Jack Leuba, and I approve this post.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List