Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock it like Crockett.

Name:  JRCShoulderHolster.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  105.9 KB

Got a Miami Classic II (open horizontal mag pouches) for cheap when Virginia Arms Company went out of business. Had @JRCHolsters make a Glock 19M+Surefire XC1 holster component for it, as well as a radio pouch. Asked him to try and match the Galco color as close as possible, and I think he just about damn nailed it. The idea being that I could wear this if pulling watch in a vehicle for long periods. When I came onto my current assignment, we were pulling 12s in a vehicle outside the bosses residence, and wearing shit on the belt was pretty damn annoying. Both fortunately and unfortunately, we moved into the bosses house in a hardened command post, so the need rapidly disappeared. Very few people wear them outside specific niches like this (driving, sitting CP duties, back problems, chronic Delhi belly offenders that have explosive diarrhea with no warning, etc), and they have their limitations....but yeah, shoulder holsters are just plain cool.

I've got it mounted with the horizontal mag pouches right now, carrying 1 mag and a flashlight.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I actually put quite a bit of time into working with shoulder holsters because

A) Two female detectives at my agency lobbied for them and the admin said they had to have a block of instruction specific to shoulder holsters and I got stuck with it.

B) I had a group of surveillance nerds that were really good at what they did and spent a lot of time squatting in vans and liked shoulder holsters.

The best one I ever found was made by Safariland and I’m not sure it’s even made anymore but it was surprisingly stable.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well, I would not have guessed that. I always figured it would pretty much stop at "this holster puts a gun directly in front of the right hand of anyone you're talking to, and if you reach for it your arm is instantly subject to being trapped, ergo: don't do that shit."

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Well, I would not have guessed that. I always figured it would pretty much stop at "this holster puts a gun directly in front of the right hand of anyone you're talking to, and if you reach for it your arm is instantly subject to being trapped, ergo: don't do that shit."
    Pretty much mandatory for those guys, as well as:

1) 15 year detectives on their 4th marriage with a drinking problem and crippling alimony

2) Canadian dudes with wild stories and smokin' hot babes making them Thanksgiving turkey dinners.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Y'all are going to cost me money.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Now you need a pet alligator and a boat to live on.

Edit to add,

Does anyone make a similar holster out of kydex? Seems that would help with retention, especially with a muzzle up rig.
    Ken Null.

-

I keep the shoulder rig for two purposes.

1) There is nothing quicker to throw on for walking the dog at night, going to the stop and rob, or running to check the mail, if you’re already dressed in your PJs.

2) for road trips. Especially since I started having this liver issue, road trips can go smooth or they can go poor. If it’s bad news, being able to sit on the john without taking everything loose is nice.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Pretty much mandatory for those guys, as well as:

1) 15 year detectives on their 4th marriage with a drinking problem and crippling alimony

2) Canadian dudes with wild stories and smokin' hot babes making them Thanksgiving turkey dinners.
    This does explain the small production numbers - I would hate to have to depend on that target market. Sounds like the customers fall into the categories of cheap, broke, or wildly irresponsible. Possibly all three.

Site Supporter
    I love carrying in shoulder holsters. It's always more comfortable to NOT have gun stuffed into my pants. Driving AIWB is generally tolerable with something small... like my P230 or Kahr... but sitting is always more comfortable with a shoulder holster.

That said, shoulder holsters (obviously) require a jacket/vest. So, warm weather... they're out. And I feel like the gun is less accessible, quickly. Reaching under your arm... breaking the snap... ripping it past your jacket... etc. But it's definitely nice to have the option, when I know I'm going to be sitting/driving a lot.

I've got a Galco Classic Light shoulder rig for my Sigs. It fits all of the ones I own except the P230, of course. It's my favorite. I also have an original Jackass rig for a 1911... which fits my Hi Power with a little extra tug on the strap. But I find the snap on that one a little stiffer, than on the Galco or the Blocker.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quickly approaching the age in which my selection of sport coats vastly outnumbers my selection of workout clothes...I have so far thoroughly enjoyed this thread...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Quickly approaching the age in which my selection of sport coats vastly outnumbers my selection of workout clothes...I have so far thoroughly enjoyed this thread...
    When I recieved the new rig, one of the first things I did was make sure it was compatible with my favorite leather blazer.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List