Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: If you want to talk about repeaters, don't come in here

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    How do you like the Encore as a muzzle loader? I found one at a local shop and am...intrigued.
    I like it fine. With the shorty Katahdin 50cal barrel it shoots great. I use 80-90gr of Blackhorn 209 powder and a 44cal bullet in a sabot. For hunting I use XTPs, but for "plinking" I use the 44cal bullets I cast for my 629.

Make sure you're looking at an actual Encore with BP barrel and not one of the Encore-pattern BP-only rifles. The former will require a background check because it's a firearm, but the latter shouldn't.

Chris

Thanks! I stopped in to see if they still had a .22 Martini that was there several months ago and ran across the Encore. The Encore is the same price and good to go as it sits. The Martini will require another $300-400 for iron sights or even more if I scope it. If I'm going to drop that kind of cash I'd rather spend a little more and get a .45-70 (repro Sharps or High Wall) and a Crossno .22LR insert. Which was my plan in the first place until I remembered the Martini...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I realized yesterday that CVA really ought to build this rifle:

Scout .300 AAC Blackout Stainless Steel Takedown

with exactly the same specs, except in .45 Auto. It would be OK if they did .578x28 threads instead of 5/8-24. Might even make sense. It takes just a few seconds to take it down or put it back together. The barrel section is exactly 16 1/2 inches taken down, the butt stock section a little longer. The weight would be about 5 1/2 lbs, even less than the .300 BLK because more air in the barrel.

This would be a staggeringly good gun for getting trash pandas out of your trash, having in the ATV or the truck for plinking or close-in varmints of opportunity, teaching kids to shoot, everybody getting a chance to giggle when shooting with a can, etc. Would work on whitetails and be extremely in-the-blind friendly. It would easily handle .45 Super, since the action is chambered in .444 Marlin and .45-70. Could be reamed out to .45 Colt and handle Ruger-only loads if you wanted. Would sell as a complete rifle for $100 less than a custom Contender barrel, and that's just the barrel.

Since Beretta has just given us what a bunch of people weird-gun nerds have wanted, I think we should start a letter writing campaign to CVA. I already sent mine last night. Now I need y'all to join me. And if there are any influencers @jetfire who can talk to the right people, that would be awesome, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I visited these:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/l...08-win-r26913/

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/m...by-mag-r23367/

The links will stop working after they sell, but they have been at this LGS for many months.

I would prefer the Merkel, but not in a Weatherby cartridge. Something far milder, and more available, would do. In my real world, my real budget is the occasional Ruger No. 1 purchase. Sometimes, I wonder why I want to own any rifle, other than Ruger No. 1 single-shots. With 19th-Century Farquharson-ish styling, modern materials and engineering, and stocks that fit me well, what’s not to like?

When I rediscover how to post images, I will give it a try.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Once upon a time, a friend of mine showed me one of these in .303 British from his personal collection.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 6.00.06 PM.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  11.3 KB

He was about to head up to Alaska for several months of fishing and said, "Why don't you hang on to it until I get back?"

So I did.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    You guys are really making me regret selling my Encore.

CDNN keeps tempting me. They have stock of a #1V in .243 and a stainless #1 with a laminated stock in .450 Bushmaster. I already have a Browning 1885 in .243, so that one is (relatively) easy to ignore. The wood on those is gorgeous. https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-no...o-edition.html

The .450 Bushmaster has me wondering if I can find a way to justify it. I really do not need it for hunting, but it just keeps drawing the eye. https://www.cdnnsports.com/too-cheap...stainless.html

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That Ruger has a 1:7.7" twist, which means it's a candidate to rechamber to 6mm Rem AI. No worries about mag length, either. Would get the mostest out of the cartridge with the long barrel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    CDNN keeps tempting me. They have stock of a #1V in .243 and a stainless #1 with a laminated stock in .450 Bushmaster. I already have a Browning 1885 in .243, so that one is (relatively) easy to ignore. The wood on those is gorgeous. https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-no...o-edition.html
    Ohhhh this is difficult. A No1 is on my short "really really have the wantsies list". Over the weekend an RSI .30-06 went up on another forum which is a caliber I already keep on hand and a configuration that really floats my boat. This TALO in .243 would be a nice alternative for ~$200 less than the RSI but it would be a new to me caliber at a bad time to start stocking up.

The pisser is I've already got my pennies rolled to get a Colt NMGC to top off my small accumulation of Government .45s.

Dammit!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    You guys are really making me regret selling my Encore.
    You're welcome. Have you considered replacing it with an Uberti stalking rifle?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List