Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Cooling Fans?

Barrel Cooling Fans?

For whatever reason, I've never seen one before. But at the range today a fellow shooter was using one.

Do they actually work?

Going to get into reloading soon and wonder if one would help during load development sessions.

Is a water jacket option available?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Is a water jacket option available?
    Not familiar with that either.

Will have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Not familiar with that either.

Will have to look into it.
    It's kind of a joke, but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone is making Maxim gun style water jackets for AR's.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

You know, a water jacket. Something like this:

Name:  MG08.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  82.8 KB

On a more serious note, I remember barrel cooling fans being discussed on a podcast a year or two ago (maybe Frank Galli's Everyday Sniper?) and the consensus was most of them are a gimmick.

@CS Tactical
    @SecondsCount
    Last edited by awp_101; 11-19-2022 at 09:42 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

C'mon man, you don't need any of those fancy gimmicks!

Just load up on coffee before/during your range session and you will have no problem cooling off that barrel whenever you need to.

I've never used a barrel cooler. While they probably aid a little in cooling, I just run a heavy barrel, slow down between shots, and shoot calibers that use less powder.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

What will they think of next? How about one that cleans and cools?

https://magnetospeed.com/products/ri...RoCG2QQAvD_BwE

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve used one doing precision work. It works. I can’t remember the name of mine, but it’s yellow, about 4” square and about 1/2” thick. Has a rigid tube you put in the chamber. It moves just enough air to allow for more rapid cooling between strings. I think I have it with me in my bag. I’ll dig it out and take a pic.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    You know, a water jacket. Something like this:

Name:  MG08.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  82.8 KB

On a more serious note, I remember barrel cooling fans being discussed on a podcast a year or two ago (maybe Frank Galli's Everyday Sniper?) and the consensus was most of them are a gimmick.

@CS Tactical
    @SecondsCount

Our sponsored shooter Dan Bertochinni used a barrel cooler during the Hornady PRC match when he had some 6.5 CM Hornady 147 ELD's (Or was it A-Tips?) explode in mid air 100 yards or so out. Apparently those bullets did not like the heat of the barrel from not cooling down enough on the hot day with high round count stages. Most people don't need them, I just remember being reminded to leave my bolt open to allow heat to escape while I was loading up another magazine.

Here's a thread on the Hornady's blowing up which includes the video below https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ng-up.7013159/

Also, I'm not insisting a barrel cooler would have alleviated the exploding bullet issue, but Dan did not have any more explode during that match after borrowing the cooler.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List