Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much of a difference will primers make?

How much of a difference will primers make?

I'm starting to see small pistol primers (SPP), in VERY limited quantities, at local Academy Sports locations. prices are 8 to 10 cents/primer. I'm leaning toward using the load data shown on the Blue Bullets site, for either 124gr, or 135gr, for coated 9mm bullets. However, the load data all shows either CCI 500, or Winchester SP, for primers.

I haven't seen those locally at all, but have seen Remington 1 1/2, and Federal Champion, and Federal Gold Medal. How much difference would it make if I used a mix of those, rather than the CCI or Winchester primers shown in the load data?

Thanks in advance, for any help.you can provide.

My experience has been that type of pistol primer makes little to no difference. Even magnum pistol primers don't add much.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I bought my first reloading kit in October of 2002, so exactly 20 years ago, give or take a few days. Based on reloading just south of 50K of pistol ammo, here are my thoughts:

My goals have always been to 1) load large quantities of ammo for practice, that replicate the reliability and accuracy of bulk pack ammo like Remington UMC, Winchester White Box and Federal American Eagle and 2) load small quantities of .357 Magnum handgun hunting ammo that was at least as accurate as commercial offerings.

I've succeed on both accounts. I've never noticed a difference substituting among CCI, Federal and Remington Primers. I have also substituted from standard primers to magnum primers using the same load data.

BUT...

When I switched primer brands or from standard to magnum, I always treated it as a new load. I dropped to at least 10% below max, fired a few loads, then loaded a few more at 5%, then a few more at my desired maximum charge.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Thanks to you both. My concerns are 1) to stay safe. 2) not end up with unreliable and inaccurate ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My goals have always been to 1) load large quantities of ammo for practice, that replicate the reliability and accuracy of bulk pack ammo like Remington UMC, Winchester White Box and Federal American Eagle . . .
    Pretty much the same here. I want to find a load that will be reliable and accurate, and then load a bunch. I won't be fiddling around trying to a "perfect" load. I just need a load that's reliable and accurate for shooting matches, and practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Thanks to you both. My concerns are 1) to stay safe. 2) not end up with unreliable and inaccurate ammo.
    Pretty much the same here. I want to find a load that will be reliable and accurate, and then load a bunch. I won't be fiddling around trying to a "perfect" load. I just need a load that's reliable and accurate for shooting matches, and practicing.
    That's pretty easily done with just a little bit of practice and some pretty quotidian reloading equipment.

I would say that once you have a load that works for you, it's great to just stack the powder, bullet and primers deep. There's a switching cost every time you change powders, bullet, etc. So 5K of the same bullet are far more valuable than 1K of five different bullets.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

It won't make any discernable difference, unless you're shooting 50 yard bullseye matches. Just avoid Remington primers if you can, they're shite.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Seating depth is biggest difference primers make in pistol loads. Pay attention to how deep a brand (or even batch) is. Depending on your press, you may have to adjust the primer seating rod. Otherwise, crushed primers or worse, high primers will result.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

What everyone else said - it doesn't matter,

I've used CCI, Winchester, Federal, Auguila, and Fiochi pistol primers, and a few rifle primers too. They all shoot mid to high 90's on a B8 at 25 yards. .

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Just avoid Remington primers if you can, they're shite.
    IME they work like everything else. I had concerns about Russian primers, but they worked, too.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Just avoid Remington primers if you can, they're shite.
    Only primers to ever cause breach face erosion.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List