Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA vs SFA vs ... -- 2019 Edition

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The repetitions for an action to become a muscle memory that I've heard cited is 5,000 repetitions.

Best, Jon
    I have to agree. I can’t answer for everyone. I am a pretty dedicated shooter and a guy who likes, wants and is motivated to learn new equipment. I think I ran DA/SA guns for 3-4 months and 8,000ish rounds before everything was routine and I never occasionally forgot to decock. Probably the most important lesson was learning to thumb the hammer before holstering as I caught myself wanting to holster a cocked pistol more than once.

Plus the errors I made in handling toward the end of that training period typically occurred during unusual events such as after malfunction clearance.

I like to think that at this point decocking is as normal as breathing but in a totally chaotic situation (such as a legitimate shooting). I still think I could forget to decock.

^ That's why I ultimately decided against the DA/SA.

It adds complexity to the pistol, it's operation, and training for basically nothing but at least you get lower hit probability on the first shot.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    ^ That's why I ultimately decided against the DA/SA.

It adds complexity to the pistol, it's operation, and training for basically nothing but at least you get lower hit probability on the first shot.
    It’s not for nothing. I find something pretty satisfying about the fact that a pistol’s ignition system is completely at rest with zero energy pre-loaded into it.

So the answer must clearly be DAO[emoji41]

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    SO, this is how SIG should bring the P250 back as a single stack fully modular gun, super slim and light, with decent grip, standard SIG dovetails. I wouldn’t mind if they would develop the SIGPRO in similar style as well, or at least add a compact and sub to that series.
    I think the best thing at this time for end-users would be for SIG to do absolutely nothing, other than sights and color variations to the Sigpro SP2022. I regard it as the only SIG platform I can recommend without concerns for quality, reliability and durability, largely probably due to existing stringent LEO contract specifications. It shouldn't be modded beyond those parameters in my opinion, to prevent on onslaught on Cohen-itis induced component cheapening and quality compromises. Best, Jon

Preface my comments by saying I came up in the gun realm shooting revolvers in the woods so that probably affects my view a bit. DA/SA is a logical transition from a DA revolver.

Recently in a class I attended, when unloading a pistol the instructor had the students do a final dry-fire after confirming empty mag, and empty chamber. Sitting there with my DA/SA Px4c that seemed like an odd, unnecessary step. I could see the bright orange follower in my mag through the chamber there was just nowhere for a round to hide. Chalked it up to all the others shooting striker fired pistols, where the state of the firing mechanism is a hidden black-box inside the slide. My guess is the instructor felt more comfortable with the guns decocked, and that’s the only was to do it with SFA?

Hope that is not a thread-derail comment or anything. My control-freak nature just vastly prefers being able to see exactly what is going on with the firing mechanism of my pistol, and exposed-hammer SA/DA provides that for me. No interest in DAO hammer fired, don’t want to lose the availability of a light, precise SA pull when desired. Can sort of see 1911 SA action, but don’t want to fiddle with safeties. Maybe this thread needs a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonrat View Post
    Recently in a class I attended, when unloading a pistol the instructor had the students do a final dry-fire after confirming empty mag, and empty chamber. Sitting there with my DA/SA Px4c that seemed like an odd, unnecessary step. I could see the bright orange follower in my mag through the chamber there was just nowhere for a round to hide. Chalked it up to all the others shooting striker fired pistols, where the state of the firing mechanism is a hidden black-box inside the slide. My guess is the instructor felt more comfortable with the guns decocked, and that’s the only was to do it with SFA?
    If it had been me, I would have ordered everyone to drop the mags out of the pistols, cycle the slides once more, then drop the hammer by pressing the trigger. It's the quickest way to make sure all pistols are unloaded if thats how you want them to be.

Anyone who has ever competed in any action pistol match gets to go through that process at the end of every course of fire before being allowed to reholster.

Legitimate question for those who say DA/SA is too complicated. Do you have an AR15? If so, why? Don't you think you could forget to engage the safety and sling around a cocked rifle with not even a drop safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Legitimate question for those who say DA/SA is too complicated. Do you have an AR15? If so, why? Don't you think you could forget to engage the safety and sling around a cocked rifle with not even a drop safety?
    I see this as being different.. Running a safety on an ar 15 is more like running a safety on a 1911. The gun won't fire unless it is off. A decocker doesn't dictate if the gun fires or not, just the poundage and distance it takes to make the gun go off. Apples and oranges

also not saying its too complicated on a flat range, just that it adds complexity during an actual event where cognitive priority is due else where.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 02-10-2019 at 06:38 PM.

I give up. No one wants to really think it through and instead go all out to rationalize their pov.

My single stack DA/SA Beretta 92SB Compact Type M....

Might be a bit of sacrilege, but, I'm thinking of swapping in a G-kit to make it decocker-only. Well, on my second one that's worn from carry.

Last edited by PGT; 02-10-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    | 92 Centennial x 2 | 92-Stock Competition | 92 Combat x 2 |
    | 92 Brigadier Tactical | 92G-SD | 92 Elite II in 9mm, 9x21 and 357SIG |
    | CZ SP01 Shadow | CZ P-01 in ODG | CZ-97 | Walther P5 |
    | SIG/SAN 553R | SIG/SAN 553-Diopter | SIG/SAN 551-2 SP SWAT |

User Tag List