Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a polymer framed 45

After trying the HK45, HK 45C, and the HK USP45, I had Robar do a grip reduction on a G21.2. It is small enough to fit me, and I have small hands. I do not shoot it much, preferring my 1911-pattern pistols, but it has been as reliable as my 9x19 Glock samples.
    Last edited by farscott; 12-24-2019 at 11:32 AM.

I have a very early 21.2 that was my late wife’s - she grabbed the first one she saw when it was first released. It’s a keepsake that won’t ever be sold; it’s big and blocky but oddly enough I shoot it well.

Much later I picked up a M&P45c 1.0 which has been great, it’s the only M&P I plan to keep. I Apexed it and also have a second FS top end. It’s very accurate and an overall good shooter.

My newest poly 45 is a G41. The Gen4 grip works well for me, and accuracy is excellent. Reliability has been 100% but I’m only about 1200 rounds in.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have been around G21 since 1992 and I was issued one in 1993. AFN710 was the serial number. That gun was assigned to me for 17 years before they were replaced.

It ran good, I did experience some misfires which according to Glock instructors was a limp wrist. I am a big guy, been around the gym since the 80s and attempted to duplicate a limp wrist... could not do it. We experienced broken extractors on early G21 and Glock had to change extractor design and modded the ejection port area. Ammo was also an issue in the early days for us. Back then Admin wanted cheap, so they bought bagged ammo with concave bases and Wolff. I recall going to a Glock Instructor Workshop many moons ago with Wolff. As a test, we left our cases of ammo on tables at the range overnight. The next day... it was still there. HA! We were good at clearance drills with stuck cases. When Admin change..... we started buying quality ammo and problems went away.

I have been an armorer since 98 and we just traded out the last of the G21. Biggest complaint for G21 was "the gun is too big" to a 126 officer dept. So we switched to G17/19 and now the biggest complaint is my gun shoots left (HA!)

I have seen a lot of firing pin and firing pin safety contact, denting and heard of misfires with the older (first issued guns). I observed a brand new G20 out of the box misfire with a slow deliberate trigger press but would fire with a hammer press.

I fixed a lot of those guns (g21) with plus trigger bars.

G21SF and Gen4 G21 very little issues, we inspected every year.

Keep your firing pin channel clean and inspect wear on your firing pin and firing pin safety annually and G21 should be good to go.
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 12-24-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

pinging @Lost River, that dude has put some rounds through polymer .45s... plus, he probably has a pic of a beater Glock set against a perfect impressionist Idaho sky or something. This thread is starting get boring without pics.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    A pic [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    I know not all here share my opinion on this but if you don't mind dropping some coin, my FNX TAC is one of the most accurate and fun to shoot pistols in the stable. I can easily put 250-300 rounds through it every time I go shooting and it's hard to wipe the smile of my face, plus 15 rnds per stick is AWESOME 👍. My wallet doesn't appreciate my affection for .45 but I sure do!
    One of my friends has the "non-TAC" version of this and it is a hell of a shooter. Fits my hand well for a 14 shot .45.

I love my cw45, but "mine works, yours may not, etc." I doubt it's what the OP is interested in, anyway. Check my thread on it if you care.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Name:  glock41.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  glock41b.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  39.1 KB

I'm mid 80s at the 50 yard line with it.

Site Supporter
    Thread is useless without pics

Technically, a polymer .45

The flyer there is something I take full responsibility for, but that's one of my better 5 shot groups at 25 yards. In better shooters hands or when benched, I've heard guys report inch and a half groups at 25 yards. Granted it's about the same weight as an alloy framed 1911 so it really isn't that light.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have a XDm-45 4.5" I don't carry it, it is a range toy and downstairs stash pistol. I installed a Powder River drop in trigger. I bought it because it fits my small hands better than the Glock SF.

I have grown to like it quite a bit so much so I bought the XDm-10 4.5. Same frame size. Nice woods pistol. Comes stock with a fully supported chamber. Put a Powder River trigger in it too and a stronger recoil spring for my full house handloads and so it doesn't sling the brass from here to eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    pinging @Lost River, that dude has put some rounds through polymer .45s... plus, he probably has a pic of a beater Glock set against a perfect impressionist Idaho sky or something. This thread is starting get boring without pics.

This?

Accuracy example (back when I actually practiced).

I was coyote hunting with a friend. Got done with a set (unsuccessfully) and walked back to the truck to go try another spot to call. Off in the disance was a Jack that was looking at us. I told my friend "I am going to shoot that Jack in the head." I produced my G21 and held right between the hare's ears and plunked a 230 grain round into it's head.

* It was really just a lucky shot, but I played it off like it was no big deal and had him snap the pic.

I walked out and using my LRF, lasered back to the truck. It was 63 yards. That is what you can expect from your typical G21 and a good trigger.

I can tell you that today, I absolutely cannot shoot that well, and last Friday I was shooting my G21SF, alongside a newly acquired USP FS, and I really sucked since I don't shoot a fraction of the rounds compared to a few years back. That and it was a wee bit chilly out in central ID when we were playing on the range!

I have long used a G21 as an outdoors gun for when I am retrieving meat, after the initial pack out, and when in wolf country. Same for the G30S. Excellent accuracy.

I shot USPSA with a G21.2 and then a G21.3 for quite a while and can attest to their long term reliability. Very solid guns. The 21.2 was a duty gun until the Gen 3 came out. It now resides at my fathers and sees periodic use still, though not nearly as much as it used to. Honestly I think they are one of the better .45 handguns ever built for duty use, if you have medium to large hands.

The G21 certainly ranks among the top duty grade .45s ever built.

HK USP/HK 45
    Glock 21
    S&W 4506
    Sig 220

User Tag List