Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New York State Bans High Capacity Thanksgiving Dinners

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Por supesto. Yo soy.

The man made a serious charge. I’m asking who claims that the virus is a hoax. I have seen no one on this forum do so.
    I don't recall anyone limiting to this forum. Google search revealed:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN25G2KM

https://kutv.com/news/local/they-say...tients-in-utah

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...irus-is-a-hoax okay, UK, but...

Don't be obtuse.

Por supesto. Yo soy.

The man made a serious charge. I’m asking who claims that the virus is a hoax. I have seen no one on this forum do so.
    Dan covered this pretty well with the last three words of his post, not to mention many of those same ideas he linked to being parroted or insinuated in the massive 600+ Covid thread (maybe others as well, I can't keep track); and, the entire premise of the anti-mask movement boiling down to the various roots of the hoaxer conspiracies or general denial of that science thing. If you choose to not see it/notice it, I can't help you with answering your question.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Dan covered this pretty well with the last three words of his post, not to mention many of those same ideas he linked to being parroted or insinuated in the massive 600+ Covid thread (maybe others as well, I can't keep track); and, not to mention the entire premise of the anti-mask movement boiling down to the various roots of the hoaxer conspiracies or general denial of that science thing. If you choose to not see it/notice it, I can't help you with answering your question.

You actually did answer me. Thank you

We are not going to agree, but at least we have clarity.

For your information, you may not be aware of this if you follow mainstream sources or don’t talk to opposite views on this issue often, most people I know don’t believe the virus is a hoax. Yes, that includes those that are more concerned by the lock downs and mandates than by the virus.

We find the lockdowns and mandates to be dangerous and inhumane. Just as you find us that oppose them to be the same.

Why not let each individual decide whats best for them?
    Therefore if you feel you have a legitimate reason to not go in to work or wherever you dont go. Those who wish to work or whatever do so in compliance with whatever guidelines are set forth.
    Seems the problem is solved.
    Not everyone is at the same level of risk from catching the virus.
    The exceptions would be those incapable of making the decision such as kids at school or facilities where elderly are housed.
    Personally if I had someone hospitialized from the virus Id want the option to suit up and be in the hospital with them. But my experience is that no one should be left alone in a hospital. The nursing staff are overloaded and someone needs to be there to monitor their care and well being.
    I cant imagine the horror of someone passing and family not allowed to be there. We are not talking ebola here.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Therefore if you feel you have a legitimate reason to not go in to work or wherever you dont go. Those who wish to work or whatever do so in compliance with whatever guidelines are set forth.
    The exceptions would be those incapable of making the decision such as kids at school or facilities where elderly are housed.
    Personally if I had someone hospitialized from the virus Id want the option to suit up and be in the hospital with them. But my experience is that no one should be left alone in a hospital. The nursing staff are overloaded and someone needs to be there to monitor their care and well being.
    I cant imagine the horror of someone passing and family not allowed to be there. We are not talking ebola here.
    This!

Because even if UNK and I disagree about something, and I am sure we would with all the topics in the world, we can live and let live.

This!

Because even if UNK and I disagree about something, and I am sure we would with all the topics in the world, we can live and let live.
    You’re agreeing to follow guidelines?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The problem is that a hospitalized person is a known risk that I and my staff have to manage. You are an additional unknown risk and any additional risk for us to deal with is the last thing we need. Logistics of ascertaining what you are to us from risk standpoint doesn't seem realistic.

I agree with your general sentiment though. Hospitalized people not seeing their loved ones, and the other way around, is just horrible. I have been making phone calls to get exceptions for visitation policy throughout the pandemic, and I do try to spend just a touch more time with my inpatients. These are trying times for all of us for sure.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Imagine a 20'x20' box that is filled with bowling pins, and over a given period of time you MUST yeet that bowling ball through the box (you have to hit the pharmacy, you have to go to work, you have to go grocery shopping etc). However, the goal is to hit as few pins as possible because every time you hit a bowling pin the chance of something bad happens increases...we know that you can't completely eliminate hitting any pins at all, but the goal is to hit as few as possible and still get by. So you think, "Hmm, do I really need to bowl today? Ok, well I do. Shit. Okay, let's bowl when there tends to be less pins".

And then out of left field, a bunch of people yelling about "muh rightz! Tyranny! I'm not at risk so FUCK YOU, you can't tell me what to do, cash'me ousside howbowdat!" come out of left field and fill up your box with extra bowling pins for what is really no good reason, other than they have proclaimed that this is their god given right. They're not actually doing anything useful....they don't have a real reason to be in that box other than prove to everyone how badass they are that they can fill up your box and there's nothing you can do about it. After your box, they take their bowling pins plus an extra pin or two that they picked up from your box and go over to another box where someone else has to bowl. So, you know they've probably already been to multiple boxes that week, and man.....they're really stackin' them pins in there. "Well, fuck" you exclaim under your breath.

And then, on top of that, instead of using mini bowling pins that you have a lower chance of hitting (instead of wearing a mask, that is), they purposely use nice, big fat hefty jumbo bowling pins from a pool playset that happen to bounce around a lot when they get hit...

Moral of the story: it's not about you.

So, I'm not sure how in November this still isn't understood. I'm not sure why I feel the need to explain this either, because by November of 2020 there's no way this attitude persists for any reason other than willful ignorance.

Everyone is going to have to go "out" at some point and risk exposure. That's obviously part of life.....some, more than others....we get that. As an example, I'm still flying on airplanes because I have to for work in the cases that the work is deemed mission critical. I'm still going out into public in the hardest hit province of a poor south Asian country where I'm basically fucked if I get covid due to lack of healthcare infrastructure, because there's still a mission that the USG must accomplish and I have to ensure the safety and security of those personnel. Similarly, every time we go out to execute our mission the chances of the entire installation getting the kabash comes into play, as one of us could spread it to the other staff. So, life goes on, we do what we can, yada yada.

However, when you decide that the virus doesn't apply to you, you are still making it more risky for others as even average risk and higher risk people will need to go out into riskier places with some frequency. What wouldn't be reasonable is if I decided "Nah, fuck it, I'm a magic fucking unicorn and I know that I'm lower risk and if I get the virus, fuck it, it won't hurt me anyway because I'm superman", and I use that reasoning as a justification to go expose myself unnecessarily by going out into public or flying more than actually needed (need vs want distinction here). By doing that, I'd only be proving that I'm an asshole because I can still catch the virus and give it to other people that I interact with, regardless of the fact that I've self-declared that I'm not at risk of getting the virus and I'll be fine even if I do.....because superpowers, or some shit.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The problem is that a hospitalized person is a known risk that I and my staff have to manage. You are an additional unknown risk and any additional risk for us to deal with is the last thing we need. Logistics of ascertaining what you are to us from risk standpoint doesn't seem realistic.

I agree with your general sentiment though. Hospitalized people not seeing their loved ones, and the other way around, is just horrible. I have been making phone calls to get exceptions for visitation policy throughout the pandemic, and I do try to spend just a touch more time with my inpatients. These are trying times for all of us for sure.
    Man Im with you. My wife is a telemetry nurse. I get both sides of it. I took care of a parent, by myself and raising two kids, with in home health care assisting only when I had to work for over a year because of alzheimers. This included multiple multi day stays in the hospital with her and all the DR visits. I get that some family members hit the hospital and are stupid to deal with. Im not one of those people.
    Last edited by UNK; 11-20-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Imagine a 20'x20' box that is filled with bowling pins, and over a given period of time you MUST yeet that bowling ball through the box (you have to hit the pharmacy, you have to go to work, you have to go grocery shopping etc). However, the goal is to hit as few pins as possible because every time you hit a bowling pin the chance of something bad happens increases...we know that you can't completely eliminate hitting any pins at all, but the goal is to hit as few as possible and still get by. So you think, "Hmm, do I really need to bowl today? Ok, well I do. Shit. Okay, let's bowl when there tends to be less pins".

And then out of left field, a bunch of people yelling about "muh rightz! Tyranny! I'm not at risk so FUCK YOU, you can't tell me what to do, cash'me ousside howbowdat!" come out of left field and fill up your box with extra bowling pins for what is really no good reason, other than they have proclaimed that this is their god given right. They're not actually doing anything useful....they don't have a real reason to be in that box other than prove to everyone how badass they are that they can fill up your box and there's nothing you can do about it. After your box, they take their bowling pins plus an extra pin or two that they picked up from your box and go over to another box where someone else has to bowl. So, you know they've probably already been to multiple boxes that week, and man.....they're really stackin' them pins in there. "Well, fuck" you exclaim under your breath.

And then, on top of that, instead of using mini bowling pins that you have a lower chance of hitting (instead of wearing a mask, that is), they purposely use nice, big fat hefty jumbo bowling pins from a pool playset that happen to bounce around a lot when they get hit...

Moral of the story: it's not about you.

So, I'm not sure how in November this still isn't understood. I'm not sure why I feel the need to explain this either, because by November of 2020 there's no way this attitude persists for any reason other than willful ignorance.

Everyone is going to have to go "out" at some point and risk exposure. That's obviously part of life.....some, more than others....we get that. As an example, I'm still flying on airplanes because I have to for work in the cases that the work is deemed mission critical. I'm still going out into public in the hardest hit province of a poor south Asian country where I'm basically fucked if I get covid due to lack of healthcare infrastructure, because there's still a mission that the USG must accomplish and I have to ensure the safety and security of those personnel. Similarly, every time we go out to execute our mission the chances of the entire installation getting the kabash comes into play, as one of us could spread it to the other staff. So, life goes on, we do what we can, yada yada.

However, when you decide that the virus doesn't apply to you, you are still making it more risky for others as even average risk and higher risk people will need to go out into riskier places with some frequency. What wouldn't be reasonable is if I decided "Nah, fuck it, I'm a magic fucking unicorn and I know that I'm lower risk and if I get the virus, fuck it, it won't hurt me anyway because I'm superman", and I use that reasoning as a justification to go expose myself unnecessarily by going out into public or flying more than actually needed (need vs want distinction here). By doing that, I'd only be proving that I'm an asshole because I can still catch the virus and give it to other people that I interact with, regardless of the fact that I've self-declared that I'm not at risk of getting the virus and I'll be fine even if I do.....because superpowers, or some shit.
    Ok I had to read this several times so lets clear up a few possible misconceptions.
    Im not advocating for muh rights. Im not a super hero complex type guy.
    Risk managment is part of everyday life. A lot of people are pretty adept at it.
    Almost everywhere you need to go they will bring whatever you want out to your car. Pay in advance pop the trunk remotely and go home.
    Both of my kids have worked through covid and attended school. Sometimes in class sometimes remotely.
    My wife is a Nurse she hasnt missed a single day at work plus overtime.
    Ive got a family member who I dont want to go out anywhere because she is health and age compromised.
    I know a lot of people who have worked continually through covid and I only know of 1 person who has contracted it. I have no idea of any health issues he may have had but he died during intubation. He never woke up from the anesthesia. 50 and has three kids at home.
    So yes I think I get it. I dont think a compete lockdown is the best choice but wtf do I know Im an electrician.
    And I havent not gone anywhere I wanted to go including around family members who have traveled. Actually I went to Florida during covid via airplane for a vacation. And yes there were tons of people in the airports.

User Tag List