Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: something, something SPEED; something something ACCURACY

Site Supporter
    Ash I wouldn't totally discount the change in platform. I'm almost literally in the same boat. My mind and hands were so used to a Glock in everyway that it has taken a long time to acclimate to the 92 system.

So in other words a little patience is needed while you pay the "training tax" moving to a DA/SA system.

For me personally, shooting controlled pairs helped a lot. In doing this the focus was first getting a repeatable and good grip, then practicing the "Ernest Langdon" method of running a DA/SA where you trigger prep as the sights make it on to target.

I'm still a ways off from Turbo pin level but I'm much faster and repeatable than the glock--especially on bill drill.

"High Level Shooter," I'll bestow that for USPSA Grand Masters and Gabe White. But I am Master Class in USPSA and I've won a couple medium sized matches... And I was lowly B class and couldn't split faster than .25 into a blank berm when I decided to take it to the "next level."

Running til the wheels fall off then backing it down, that's what I did. At the time I called it "colloring outside the lines." With a whole lot of evaluating myself, repeating or adjusting and a lot of dry fire.

So yeah, go see what's too fast. See what's just right, try to go faster than that, back it down again, ramp it up. What does it take to go a bit faster. Add this adustment here, there...
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 03-13-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    "High Level Shooter," I'll bestow that for USPSA Grand Masters and Gabe White. But I am Master Class in USPSA and I've won a couple medium sized matches... And I was lowly B class and couldn't split faster than .25 into a blank berm when I decided to take it to the "next level."

Running til the wheels fall off then backing it down, that's what I did. At the time I called it "colloring outside the lines." With a whole lot of evaluating myself, repeating or adjusting and a lot of dry fire.

So yeah, go see what's too fast. See what's just right, try to go faster than that, back it down again, ramp it up. What does it take to go a bit faster. Add this adustment here, there...
    Little by little is the way it goes huh? Also, I really appreciate your input and your youtube channel as well. Really good content and you're definitely a better shooter than me.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Worked some draw 1's and draw pairs to "A" at 7yds today. Tried to push speed and let accuracy go a little more. Got the draw 1 under a sec (even though not a "hit.")

Splits on the pairs are still way slower than what I could do on my Bill runs from Monday.

Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    @ASH556

Remember not to mix accuracy work with speed work. I should have mentioned that in my first post. If you have never shot an .18 split, you won’t be able to do it when trying to hold the A zone. Get the .18 split first, and then try to bring in the accuracy. Same with draws. Work the speed in isolation, accuracy comes later.

PS. Your Bill drill times are not slow.

Good work!
    To pile onto Clobb's comments, may I suggest Steve Anderson's thoughts on this exact thing. A whole two and a half minute segment from 13m:15s -- 15:45.

https://andersonshooting.libsyn.com/...re-doing-wrong

Cheers,
    David S.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    What I struggle with is knowing how good a sight picture I need to establish on the target between shots. I am not a high level shooter and I've learned that I cannot simply rely on the mechanics of technique to ensure my next shot will be where it needs to be. So a lot of my practice focuses on reducing the time I need between shots while still seeing what I need to see in my sight picture. I don't necessarily try to establish a perfect sight picture each time, just good enough that a proper trigger press will get a hit.

Do you guys always see a good sight picture before pressing the trigger (like I need to) or do you rely more on the mechanics of your shooting technique to get hits when shooting multiple shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    What I struggle with is knowing how good a sight picture I need to establish on the target between shots. I am not a high level shooter and I've learned that I cannot simply rely on the mechanics of technique to ensure my next shot will be where it needs to be. So a lot of my practice focuses on reducing the time I need between shots while still seeing what I need to see in my sight picture. I don't necessarily try to establish a perfect sight picture each time, just good enough that a proper trigger press will get a hit.

Do you guys always see a good sight picture before pressing the trigger (like I need to) or do you rely more on the mechanics of your shooting technique to get hits when shooting multiple shots?
    "See What you need to see" is often joked about...but more in the sense because it's so correct....so simple.

You don't need a perfect sight picture, or clear sight to hit the A zone at seven yards. You do to hit the upper A zone at 25 yards. So you see more, or less, ie, "See what you need to see." Same thing for how "settled" do you need to be, how ready, how focused, how mentally prepared to pull the trigger without disrupting aim. Splitting at .5 to the upper A at 15 yards or splitting .25 to the A zone at 10 yards...again, "see what you need to see" ie, you need more for one, less for the other. More time behind the gun and you'll become more in tune to what you are doing, what the gun is doing and what you are doing to effect that. If you heard the term, "Shoot your sights" or anything about the sights telling you how fast you can shoot, same concept.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 03-15-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    A71593

If you do close range doubles drills the right way then you will not have this problem for very long.

Grip (and to a slightly lesser degree, stance) is the foundation for recoil control and fast, accurate splits.

Vision is the throttle.

If there is an imbalance in that system, you will observe errors.

Doubles is the perfect diagnostic tool to detect imbalances.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Worked Stoeger's pairs drill @ 7 today and by the end I was seeing my sights for the second press in the .15-.17. Progress is being made.

Food Court Apprentice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Worked Stoeger's pairs drill @ 7 today and by the end I was seeing my sights for the second press in the .15-.17. Progress is being made.
    I think this gets to what I was asking about. I don't really work so-called "double taps", but rather just try to speed up my time between subsequent shots regardless of how many. But seeing the sights in that split second before the trigger press is where I am trying to shave off time.

User Tag List